Bourbon grain bills

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bourbon grain bills

Post by Kegg_jam »

I'm sure this is redundant information as many of you know this stuff. But I'm stuck at the lake cabin this weekend with nothing else to do but read. I already knew most of this but it made my mouth water reading it.

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/theres-only- ... ipes-yall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Bourbon grain bills

Post by dieselduo »

nice read
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

Nice read indeed. I ran across it about a year and a half ago while searching the ole inner web. I also discovered this document.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Though you might find it interesting.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Good read. I didn't get through all the comments, but found the ones I read to be interesting too. The wife and I are on our way out to a county fair - I'll finish it when I get home. Thanks for posting the link.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Great article. Even though I'm not a bourbon drinker I think I'll take a stab at a wheated bourbon since I have all the ingredients on hand.

Thanks for posting.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I'm thinking George Washington's Rye grain bill.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Interesting read Kegg_jam, thanks for posting. I'm not sure I agree with the author's assertion that unless you are using 10% or more malted barley you must be using enzymes. Malted red wheat has more enzymes than malted 6 row barley. I don't use any barley in my bourbon. I use malted rye and malted red wheat. I do agree that small variations in grain bill are not terribly meaningful. There are a number of other aspects more influential.
I'm goin the distance...
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

interesting read indeed...love the info...cheers
gg
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Bernie is a cool guy for sure. Jim Beam brand ambassador (Heaven hill is a Jim Beam brand). What a job!!! He wrote an interesting book that I enjoyed much called 'Bourbon Whiskey, Our Native Spirit'. I recommend the read.

One thing he doesnt say about wheat is 'fruit'. Its the main reason I like wheated bourbons so much. I get a real nice fruit in mine. But it is entirely possible what he did say explains it, maybe. He said wheat stays out of the way of other flavors, and its possible the fruit Im getting is from the esters in the beer yeast I use. US-05 is great, 1272 is my new go to. A little more flavor. Other beer yeasts work great too. The English Ale ones bring even more esters over. And 100% wheat single malt is ridiculous. I have 2 quarts left still aging on oak from a 2012 batch and ohhhh man is it nice. I love wheat. But now Im not talking about bourbon no more so Im out.

Cheers.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
TurtleLA
Novice

Post by TurtleLA »

Good find! Nice read
Secale
Novice

Post by Secale »

I'm reading it now. :angel:
If it's on YouTube. It has to be real. LOLZ

http://homedistiller.org/intro
xring01
Novice

Post by xring01 »

My next Bourbon Grain Bill will be
60% Flaked Corn
17% Roasted/Malted Barley
13% Roasted Wheat
9% Malted Rye

Hoping to mash it soon.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

xring01 wrote:My next Bourbon Grain Bill will be
60% Flaked Corn
13% Roasted Wheat
9% Malted Rye

Hoping to mash it soon.
Roasted grains can have a big impact on the final spirit, a little goes a long way.
If you are just starting out with toasted or roasted grains, I would suggest something in the neighborhood of 5% - 8% of the total grain bill for specialty malts.

Also, as you are exploring different grain bills, I might suggest doing one batch with malted wheat, and a second batch with malted rye. That way you would be able to experience the difference between wheated bourbon, and a rye bourbon.
You could then always blend the two to get a version of the recipe you posted.

Keep letting us know how it's going.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
xring01 wrote:My next Bourbon Grain Bill will be
60% Flaked Corn
13% Roasted Wheat
9% Malted Rye

Hoping to mash it soon.
Roasted grains can have a big impact on the final spirit, a little goes a long way.
If you are just starting out with toasted or roasted grains, I would suggest something in the neighborhood of 5% - 8% of the total grain bill for specialty malts.

Also, as you are exploring different grain bills, I might suggest doing one batch with malted wheat, and a second batch with malted rye. That way you would be able to experience the difference between wheated bourbon, and a rye bourbon.
You could then always blend the two to get a version of the recipe you posted.

+1

Besides, depending on the roast level, the enzymes could be severely compromised, and not have enough oomph to convert all the starch.

I did a bourbon with chocolate wheat malt and caramel barley. 5% of each, holy hell its gonna be a year before I can touch it. It's going to be a freakin awesome Christmas bourbon, but it was punch you in the face bitter chocolate taste for a while!
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
xring01
Novice

Post by xring01 »

Just finished the mash on the above grain bill. I use alpha amalaze to help the enzymes.

Started this mash friday night. Brought 8-9 gallons water to 150 degrees. Into the mash tun with the grains and amalase. Stirring every half or so for many hours. Let it sit over night. Sat afternoon started draing off liquiod in mash tun, and sparging with more water. Finished up this am. Even put all the grains in a BIAB bag and queezed every last drop I could out off the grain. Finished up with about 11-12 gallons.

Removed all the grain from the mash. It looks like black coffee, tastes amazing.

Added a bit of sugar to bring the gravity up tp 1.090. Added yeast and yeast nutients about an hour ago.

Time to sit back and watch my fantasy football team kick some ass.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Roasted grains can have a big impact on the final spirit, a little goes a long way.
So does Peated Malt! I made my first scotch (and my first all grain) with half 2 row malt barley, and half 2 row peated malt. OMG! I never would have dreamed so much peat smoke flavor would come through in the final product. I aged it for a year in the attic with a little oak to give it a light amber color. It was still a pretty strong-smelling spirit, even diluted to 75 proof.

But it's gone now. It wasn't the best whisky, but I miss it, because it was my first. I need to think doing about another batch of it.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Jimbo"
" (Heaven hill is a Jim Beam brand)"
When did that happen? It was my understanding that Heaven Hill is one of the few remaining family owned, independent distilleries in the country. Jim Beam, on the other hand, is owned by Suntory of Japan.

BG
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Totally agree with Jimbo on wheated bourbons, I've gone 100% to wheat as my main favoring grain. Old Grandad Bonded was one of my go too's, but I can't hardly drink it now. IMHO, Wheated bourbon just has a more rounded, softer taste to it. I have pretty much gone to the Maker's Mark 70%,16%, 14% grain bill and plan to go a higher wheat content next summer. I also did a Wheat Single Malt in 2016 that is very nice and I have 3 gals of wheat whiskey in a keg now (made from raw pearled wheat and a little malted barley).

BG
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

All the master distillers at Heaven Hill were from the Beam family since it's founding in 1935
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Joseph Beam and the Shapira brothers founded Heaven Hill. The Shapira family own the company now. Beams are throughout the Bourbon industry and are truly one of the royal familes of Bourbon. I've heard that the Beams have bourbon running in their veins instead of blood. Johannes Beam (Bohm) started the Jim Beam company much earlier. I assume that Joseph Beam was a descendant of Johannes Beam.

BG
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Here's a list I reference. Like the first post, it's from 2015.
Not that it makes a whole lot of difference but with all the outsourcing going on, I ASSuME this is still accurate.
And based on the other comments, these are now "suggestions" or "starting points".
Mash Bills.jpg
http://drinkwire.liquor.com/post/mash-bills#gs.PoR1G_M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
SherrodBrown
Novice

Post by SherrodBrown »

Some people use extra table sugar in the grain mash. Will that affect the smell and taste like turbo yeast would??
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Well, for one, if you put sugar in it, it is no longer a bourbon, so wrong thread. It would yes, dilute the flavor, not sure about smell, but nothing ruins whiskey like turbo yeast does. You're talking about 2 different things. Sugar is acceptable, and necessary, if not making all grain. Turbo yeast is never needed. And never advised.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Hey guys, talking of the bourbon's aroma in general... will we lose it a lot replacing the corn grits to a maize flour?

I was told the flour is made of endosperms only (having no embryos' oils)...

Any ideas based on your experience? :roll:

har druckit för mycket
SwollenGoat23
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SwollenGoat23 »

Sorry, I'd rather not put any Sperms in my grain bill.....jus sayin'
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

da above-da-average joke, doe...

... then just remove any grain from your bills and be content with fruits and/or sugar only

har druckit för mycket
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

captainshooch wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:51 am Nice read indeed. I ran across it about a year and a half ago while searching the ole inner web. I also discovered this document.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Though you might find it interesting.
Love this!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

So I've been doing some homework and I've come up with 60% corn 20%barley malt 15%rye malt 5%crystal malt as my next mash
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

I think you are going to like that! The mash bill I've settled on over the last few batches is pretty similar (without the crystal)- just the barley/rye proportions swapped:
66% fine corn meal
20% rye malt
14% distillers malt
Please report back on how the crystal impacts the flavor, I just set up a small batch still so I can experiment with alternative grains and am building a Carter Head to see what kind of flavors I can get.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I will let you all know how it goes the dry malt will be a nice addition I believe
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....