iStill NextGen

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: iStill NextGen

Post by Odin »

Thank you! Looking forward to doing business with you, Sir.

Here is a link to a set of pictures of our last class / workshop in Madison. 14 participants. At Two Tall Distilling. We made rye whiskey and gin and vodka, and did multiple extracts. An amazing day and a half!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... FCSHNGN21n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Next class will be in Napa Valley in March. From March 19th till 22nd.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Here's another innovation we are putting on the market as of right now. iStill WiFi.

We designed a new WiFi module for our units. It can be ordered on new ones or retrofitted on old ones. It allows for wireless connection to the unit. For remote control, monitoring, and operation.

Two pictures. The first one shows the new module. The other one shows me doing a 2000 liter finishing run on a single malt whisky via my iPhone 7s.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_5051.JPG
Image-1.jpg
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

I saw your first iStill on youtube and I left stilling for a moment, too much things happening in life, and I'm just back and saw your big momma :)
Jeez ! That's a still !
Happy to see that everything's going fine.
I read a few articles of your blog: you write too much and distill not enough :mrgreen:

If i understand well, it's a LM still.
I saw a few pictures of the controller, and because I work into that, I feel I must ask: why don't you develop your own controller ?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks. Yeah, working with the bigger unit is an amazing treat, time and again. Because it is so easy to sorta get addicted to that huge output number.

Not distilling enough ... yes, you are right there too. I am thinking of doing a new recipe though. Buk wheat but then roasted. Should get me some Maillard over for a smokey/throaty finish. As a side and new pet project.

Controller ... if you mean the PLC aka industrial computer and touch screen, well, yeah, we build that ourselves. We use components from a world-wide player in industry automation. Like Siemens. The reason is that this allows us to offer 20 years of warranty on these components and 30 years of spare part delivery guaranteed.

Regards, Odin.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Oh yes Siemens :) I used to play with their PLCs long time ago but now I design specific circuits. Can't offer 20 years warranty, that's a point, but I hope this will outlast me :)
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Seimens makes sense. In Europe most use Siemens, here in America most use Rockwell (Allen Bradley), and in Asia Mitsubishi.

Back when dinosaurs walked the earth, I worked for Square-D designing PLCs. There were 2 major PLC manufacturers in the US at that time, Square-D and Allen-Bradley, both in Milwaukee, WI.

My personal preference for the design software is Rockwells RsLogix vs Siemens Step7, but to each their own.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks for sharing. I personally like Omron. As good in quality as Siemens, but slightly smaller and with bigger ears. They listen to what I want and need, which makes a huge difference.

Sorry if any confusion. I like Siemens, but decided to go with Omron. Siemens is very, very big. When I tell them something they say - and rightfully so - BMW and Mercedes go first.

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Here's a picture of another iStill 5000 we assembled yesterday. In a distillery in the UK. It is their fourth still.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
b9b0a276-0578-4e83-8ac8-1f293b5b4d2c.JPG
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

If no one was standing in front of it, you could says it's a 50 :lol:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Haha, yeah, with a very small touch screen computer! ;)

All right! Next outing on the amazing iStills. Here is a link with pictures, story and two short videos on us using the iStill 2000 to mash ... tulip bulbs. For the Clusius Craft Distillers Tulip Vodka ...

https://istillblog.com/2018/01/11/mashi ... till-2000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
Joris and the iStill ...
Joris and the iStill ...
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Ahahah :) You know you're Nederlands when you mash tulips :)
I didn't know those were edible bulbs.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Did some more interesting experiments with the Extractor (500 liters) in combination with the iStill (2000). Today we finished a series of tests, where we aim to evaluate the use of aforementioned set-up to make beer. Not "just" distillers beer, but consumers beer.

We put cracked malted barley in the extractor and fill the iStill 2000 with water. We start to heat up the water with 61C as its goal. We dial in the pump to start to transport the water from the iStill 2000 boiler to the Extractor. The process of starch extraction and starch conversion starts to take place. When all starch is converted to fermentable maltose, and when all sugars are extracted from the Extractor to the iStill 2000 boiler, we add hops and start the boil/cooking cycles. When these are done, we dial in the boiler radiator to cool the now hopped wort back to 20C and pitch the yeast ...

Heck, by adding the Extractor, we just turned the iStill 2000 into a full fledged, no compromise beer brewery. Personally, I am really excited about that! So excited that I told my team to set-up an i500 with a 100 liter extractor, and that I instructed my head brewer to develop an IPA recipe, so we can start making that in a few weeks time, potentially opening up a complete new market for us.

Odin.
Attachments
Cutting the lines to feed the Extractor ...
Cutting the lines to feed the Extractor ...
Pump ...
Pump ...
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Post by Johnny6 »

Odin, I love reading about your new developments and the progress of your company. I remember the first pictures you posted of your prototype stills. You've come a long way and its been an exciting ride! I enjoy how you've been able to build on your previous accomplishments... and here is an other example.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks! Just checked into my hotel in Ogden, Utah. To give a three day course starting tomorrow.

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Contract distilling on its way in the iStill Distillery. Sh*tloads of beer being processed into whiskey! Currently on SLC airport right now. Taking the plane back home in half an hour.

https://istillblog.com/2018/01/24/contr ... -istill-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

An update! We are leaving for Pittsburgh in a few days to participate at the ACSA Convention. We'll take vodka, gin, rum and whiskey with us ... and an iStill 2000!

If any of the home-crowd wants to come by, please do so! We throw a beer & burger evening on next Monday. You are invited!

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0136.JPG
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Odin, looks like you are standing on your head for this event :sarcasm:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

We are all eating Gouda cheese ... that must have caused it!

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thinking about a continuous still that can actually make cuts. And a vacuum still that has a decent size and is (on a professional level) affordable.

Very exciting stuff!

Odin.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Glad to see innovation is still alive, keep us posted on your progress without giving away to much detail to competitors.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Will do both. So ... yeah, I think I figured it out: how to build a continuous still that is quite revolutionary. Just one column, instead of the traditional analyser/rectifier two column set-up. And I figured out how to have it make cuts for heads, hearts and tails as well. Design is pretty much ready. Just spoke to my engineers and the technical drawings will be in a week from now. We'll probably start building the first test unit a week after that. I designed a modular set-up so that when we do testing, and things do not quite work as we expect, we just replace the specific part with a new design. Once testing is done and all parts are optimized, we'll make the second unit, where we'll use a more integrated instead of modular design. That seems like the wise way forward at the moment. We'll use glass column parts for visual feedback and (on the first unit) a manual valve to control wash input speeds/quantities. Based on first run experiences, we'll start working on robotizing and automating wash input ... Very exciting stuff!

Regards, Odin.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Set it and forget it??
Gettn away from true artisan, hand made spirits imo.
Turn it on, go to lunch..Hopefully not.
Ifn it still takes a human to nurse, program, and make sure the foolproof (?) system works, then why eliminate the distiller..New job description, distilling programmer?
Label changes to reflect 'robo-liquor'.
There's gonna be a limited demand for that, most folks demand hands on quality.
Gonna be hard to eliminate the 'generic' profile prolly comes with that.
Interesting to see the demand when completed.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Odin, I understand if you dont want to talk about it, but I've long thought the solution to making continuous cuts was a divided wall column combined with traditional sidestream outputs. In fact I've sketched a few stills with multiple dividing walls, and on paper they look good.

And if that wasn't your idea, but mine is better, feel free to run with it. I will gladly accept payment in equipment and travel. ;)
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Run it by my 82 yr old mom..She laughed and said "oh (my name), now they'll be commin outa the woodwork thinkin they can just make likker pushin a button".
I told her that was far fetched....But I'm old-school and can't go against my Six distilling senses..Sight, sound, feel, smell, taste, And common..
But, what ifn......
Power outage
On the fly adjustments (already obsolete)
Durability
Viability
Efficience
Cost
I commend you for your pride, desire, and thinking.
Now to make it happen.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Hi there all of your merry folks!

Working on Love Potion Number One. Or lets say that's its working title. A concoction you can add to heads and tails in order to clean them up into recoverable and re-usable ethanol/gns.

Also working on a new sort of vacuum still.

And taking a new swing at further improving taste development while fermenting.

Yes, definately some interesting times ahead!

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

#iStill congratulates #Bedlam #Vodka for another double gold AND best of show!!!

https://istillblog.com/2018/05/12/bedla ... t-of-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

And on a different note ... quite some changes regarding me, myself, and I as well. Feeling like crap sorta motivated me to dive into my health some 3 months ago. With some amazing results. Lost 33 pounds of fat, gained 11 pounds of muscle. Stronger, more focussed, feeling better than ever. Here's a "before" and "after" picture.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_1064.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Good for you Odin, now if only I can lose 20 lbs.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

GTFO! Odin! Amazing!
Good for you buddy, you gotta take care of you, because we sure can't!
44 pound body recomposition in 3 months? Thats almost 4 pounds a week, sustained, Freaking wow! I'm a minor fitness nerd so can really appreciate that. Words of wisdom, as impressive as your progress is if you're still working on it, expect progress to slow down. It's the last of the fat that melts the slowest. And the last of the muscle grows as slowly too. Also 3 months is the classic psychological barrier between cementing new behavior as long term habits or going back to previous behavior. Honestly, long term, I'm most likely to work my plan for 3 months, then regress the rest of the year. Feel free to learn from my mistakes where I can't really seem to.
:clap:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks Zap,

I'll stay on this program. The diet definately suits me. And I feel so good now, that I even took up training a bit again. Like once a week for the last two weeks. Pushing the same weights as I did 25 years ago, when still training and boxing close to 2 hours per day.

Progress should be slower, otherwise I will look like the hulk's skinny and not so green little brother soon.

My loss in weight and gain in muscles is basically the result of the diet, not of training, that's the real fun part. Only starting training right now, makes me wonder how I'll look by the end of the year. My arm, shoulder and leg muscles already show more definition and size than thy ever have.

Very happy with this!

Odin.