Close shave today- DONT let slop settle over night in thump

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Close shave today- DONT let slop settle over night in thump

Post by Jimy Dee »

Folks

I almost killed myself today - I think!. I needed to strip on the grain. So yesterday in preparation for a full day stripping today, I duly filled my thumper (full SS beer keg) with slop and put clear wort in the pot (full SS beer keg). Turned on my pot today. Left it heat up. I was in and out of the barn (where I still) keeping an eye on the still. One hour went by with the gas burner full swing under the pot, and for some bizarre reason the thumper never started thumping. Fuck me, the next thing the steam started bursting out the gasket where the copper pipe is attached to the pot. I realised there was a blockage some where in the pipes, so I quickly turned off the gas and I got the spanner and opened up the nut holding the copper pipe onto the pot to release the pressure. The thing exploded with gas and liquid all over the place. There was some pressure built up in the pot. :crazy:

I did not mind as I was glad the SS keg pot itself did not explode. If this happened I would not be typing this tonight.

Anyway I went away for a while and let things cool down. Came back, opened up my copper piping over the pot and loosened the nut holding the piping to the thumper. Kneeled down and blew into the pipe from the pot end - not a friggin budge. Realised the grain/slop in the thumper must have really settled too well over night and the pressure coming from the pot was just not strong enough to clear the blockage at the bottom of the pipe going into the bottom of the thumper. So I got a stick, opened the 4 inch port hole in the thumper and stirred the slop. Then I started blowing down the pipe, stirred some more, and after a few goes I managed to blow through the pipe and the thumper started bubbling. Put it all back together and let her do her job.

I am never going to let the slop settle in the thumper again over night. Instead as the pot is heating up I will put the slop into the thumper.

My kids were around the barn (where I still) today so I am feeling lucky that no one was injured. There was some blow out of the pot when I opened the nut. Anyway we live and learn.

Moral of the story - dont let the slop in the thumper at all, put it in just before you run your still.
Also, if running a pot / thumper make sure to use your ears - a thumping thumper is good, whereas a silent thumper is bad !

Hope this saves others from the same mistake.

Jimy
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Re: Close shave today- DONT let slop settle over night in th

Post by Reverend Newer »

That's one of the more scary stories i've heard! I am so thankful you are safe, took stainless steel balls to release pressure with the wrench as you did.

I was told to not let your still cool completely while assembled because a blockage could cause your boiler to crush like a beer can.

I'd bet as your slop cooled, not only did it settle into the bottom of your thumper but was also sucked up into the lyne arm side of the thump pipe.

I learnt it's best to break up any vapor lock possibility while the still parts are warm, especially the part between the thumper and boiler because that's a vapor-lock point. Have a prosperous 2018 jimy!

I also commend you for sharing your failures with us knowing you will get hammered by the all-knowers here. Thanks jimy!
Last edited by Reverend Newer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Scary mate, glad you're still with us!
Mind sharing a few details about the rig? Pipe sizes and thumper steam inlet configuration seem most relevant, although maybe it really was all about the settling.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Basically what your doing is running a steam injection setup. I have ran this setup more times then i can count, it is basically a poor mans way to run on the grain.

Here is where the problem is, the old folks would just pile rocks up on the cap of the main still. if there was a pressure build up the cap would just pop off and no one got hurt, on a set up like that that you can see it coming. In the modern age of tight kegs and tri clamps with Teflon seals we can build up a lot of pressure. you need to have a pressure relief valve at less the 15 psi and a gauge if your going to run a steam injection set up.

We are not playing pokeymon here. In this hobby a bad mistake will cost you a lot.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

A pressure safety / vacuum breaker valve is a must have on a boiler I think.
Not quite cheap, but cheaper than a life.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

cede wrote:A pressure safety / vacuum breaker valve is a must have on a boiler I think.
Not quite cheap, but cheaper than a life.

I think you are right. It's 100 dollars. if you cant afford it well i hope you do a lot of reading.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Thank you for the post. Just started using a thumper with my new build
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Jimy: Im glad you caught it in time! I wonder where The still would have failed? I guess that’s a morbid thought. I’m glad your ok. I keep a close eye and ear on my thumper till it gets to thumping. The first time I used my thumper I finished my run and turned off the gas. About 5 minuets later I went to break down the piping. When I unclamped my first connection “2” copper”, hot mash oozed out of the pipe. The hot slop in the thumper sucked up into the pipe and about 3 gallons of it went into my boiler. What a hot mess! When I shut down now I turn the heat down real low and break the seal before shutting down.
Take care buddy.
JBC
JBC
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

MANOMETER
Cheap n eazy to build. Pressure n vacuum relief
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I’m not sure I get this whole thing about filling a boiler or thumper the night before.
Does it really take that long to dump shit in a boiler?

I do big ferments and run 15 gal boiler with 15 gal thumper and it has never occurred to me to dump anything in a day ahead. What am I missing?

And +1 to manometer.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Jimy Dee wrote:Turned on my pot today. Left it heat up. I was in and out of the barn (where I still) keeping an eye on the still.
Glad you are still alive and the courage to talk about it .. but more important, did you really learn something from this experience ? ? ?

The error of lots of hobbyist is just that, after a while it become routine, and when that settles in, you have what you just experience.. put the heat on, and start doing other things, an extremely bad habit..

Hopefully, you have learned something.. and hopefully you will research using steam some more..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

StillerBoy wrote:.. put the heat on, and start doing other things...

Mars
Seems like this practice is in so many of the "I made a mistake" posts. Might just be tryin' to tell us something..?!?

Glad all is well Jimmy Dee! We only get a few near misses in this hobby and you just might be down one...
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:I’m not sure I get this whole thing about filling a boiler or thumper the night before.

I do big ferments and run 15 gal boiler with 15 gal thumper and it has never occurred to me to dump anything in a day ahead. What am I missing?

And +1 to manometer.
It’s all a matter of available time and space. I’ll often need to empty the fermenter to get something new going, so the easiest place to move wash is... to the boiler.

Or I’ll have an hour on a Saturday, so I’ll charge the keg knowing that on Sunday morning I can just fire up the boiler and be ready to go.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

raketemensch wrote:
MichiganCornhusker wrote:I’m not sure I get this whole thing about filling a boiler or thumper the night before.

And +1 to manometer.
It’s all a matter of available time and space. I’ll often need to empty the fermenter to get something new going, so the easiest place to move wash is... to the boiler.

Or I’ll have an hour on a Saturday, so I’ll charge the keg knowing that on Sunday morning I can just fire up the boiler and be ready to go.
This story should make it obvious that this is a poor practice . I don't even charge the boiler with cleared beer the day before . There's still going to be suspended yeast that can settle overnight and scorch when the burner is lit the next day .
Those slops can settle like concrete in a thumper in a day's time and cause you grief .
You need an 'ATTABOY' for knowing your rig and getting out ahead of a problem before it became a catastrophy .
Some of us older pot stillers that use thumpers need our legs strapped a little bit for not mentioning this settling thing a bit more often .
Assuming that others will see the same potential hazards as we do is a failure , on our part , to the community .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

I've done some internet searches would someone post a photo of their manometer please
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

glad to hear it was just a close call Jim.
It's scary stuff when steam is starting to leak all over, sure isn't something you want to see again.

Manometer
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 0#p7355011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Don't be a dick
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks for posting Jimy :thumbup:

This is a real eye opener for me as I have only just started to steam strip rice fermentations in a thumper setup and was wondering about the need for a Manometer or some other Pressure release devise . Having only used the Thumper for Rums it had not crossed my mind that this could happen . :clap:

I have to admit to being in the habit of emptying a fermenter into the boiler the day before too :oops: .....time is precious and so are fermenters . Never seen a problem with it but then I've only ever done sugar neutrals , Rums or cleared Scotch Whisky .....so this concept of "solids" causing issues is new to me and I appreciate your story .....and I will never load it the night before .
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

jon1163 wrote:I've done some internet searches would someone post a photo of their manometer please
Manometer is not a safety device.
Follow this link to search for one.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Tri+Clam ... cuum+Valve
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Shadylane has a home built manometer that at the same time can function as a relief valve. Just a U-tube with a transparant part in the second leg and a scale behind it.
One can easily build a safety valve oneself or take one from a high pressure cooker.

I noticed the other day a temperature of 101 dgr C in the line from boiler to thumper and I knew for certain I had only put water in the boiler. A bit later the temp read 99 dgr C and it stayed there. Clearly the thermometer is one dgr low AND there had been some pressure. As I have a shower head on my input pipe I am always afraid of blocking, so I ALWAYS blow through the pipe myself before I connect it.

Man man, you must be very relieved at the escape!!!
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

FWIW, I always use a PRV/VRV on my boiler when doing steam stripping. Here is a version that I use https://www.ebay.com/itm/SS304-2-Inch-S ... 1758631321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It can be bought cheaper on Ali Express if you are wiling to wait a couple of weeks. The pressure release is easily adjustable by adjusting the top to set the popoff valve pressure. I set mine to 3PSI, and made sure that it doesn't change by wrapping the threads with heavy duty teflon tape. This way there is a large physical resistance so that that vibrations won't change the setting. The vacuum release isn't easily adjustable, but is just fine.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Thanks folks for all the replies. It was a good steep learning curve. Was stripping more slop today and kept the 4 inch port hole open until I saw the bubbles percolating up from the pipe in the thumper. Once there was action in the thumper I closed up the port hole and let her go. The good news is we are still all here to make more ! Jimy
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Jimy Dee wrote:Thanks folks for all the replies. It was a good steep learning curve. Was stripping more slop today and kept the 4 inch port hole open until I saw the bubbles percolating up from the pipe in the thumper. Once there was action in the thumper I closed up the port hole and let her go. The good news is we are still all here to make more ! Jimy
Bravo Jimy. One must learn from their mistakes, and preferably not repeat them.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Jimy , I'm curious about the steam injector . Is it just a straight pipe or does it have a Wand or head on it ?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

The simplest design for a relieve valve:
Klep.jpg
Klep.jpg (4.87 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
Just a T, an elbow and a reducer. Put a marble in the reducer, or, if you need more pressure, two marbles.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

cede wrote:
jon1163 wrote:I've done some internet searches would someone post a photo of their manometer please
Manometer is not a safety device.
Follow this link to search for one.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Tri+Clam ... cuum+Valve
Hi,

Just because a manometer is simple and not manufactured by a hi-tech company and is cheap, does not mean it is not a safety device.

Geoff
The Baker
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

I have in mind: "A safety device is a piece of equipment ... that reduces loss or damage from a fire, accident, or break-in"
A manometer will just show you some pressure but will not release pressure nor prevent explosion.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

cede wrote:I have in mind: "A safety device is a piece of equipment ... that reduces loss or damage from a fire, accident, or break-in"
A manometer will just show you some pressure but will not release pressure nor prevent explosion.
I believe that a manometer is open to the atmosphere and so WILL reduce pressure and so prevent explosion that is due to pressure.

And IMPLOSION due to vacuum.

There will be some water in the bottom of the U-tube as a barrier between the manometer and the atmosphere, that will be blown out (or in the case of vacuum, sucked in) easily in the event of over or under pressure.

Of course the manometer tubes will need to be of a suitable diameter.

Geoff
The Baker
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

A water trap also makes a good PRV
It's kinda like a manometer that isn't clear enough to see through :lol:
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

The Baker wrote:I believe that a manometer is open to the atmosphere and so WILL reduce pressure and so prevent explosion that is due to pressure.
Right, if you think of this kind of manometer:
main-qimg-ab39d47fd02be827b2b769193a921d4a.gif
main-qimg-ab39d47fd02be827b2b769193a921d4a.gif (10.8 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
It's open to atmosphere and can work for both pressure and vacuum.

When I hear manometer, I often think of this:
631.jpg
631.jpg (13.5 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
Well, it's often called pressure or vacuum gauge/gage too :)
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Thank you CD :thumbup: