GFCI protection for fused home

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

82Winger
Novice

GFCI protection for fused home

Post by 82Winger »

I am no electrician, but I do know that I want some protection in my still build. First, my build. 15 gal. keg with the Camco 5500W 220v element. My source for 220 is not on a breaker, but rather fused and I do not know the amps. I have to run a cord (8-3) outdoors to still. Does someone make in-line GFCI protection for my extension cord?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: GFCI protection for fused home

Post by Expat »

Best option I can think of is to use a Spa GFCI. They're designed for outdoor use and usually manage up to 50amps.

Connect it in line with your outlet and this gives you a handy shut-off.

I would strongly suggest that you determine the amperage of the fuse before you do anything else. Make sure it doesn't exceed the rating of the wiring you have. 30a is sufficient for the element.

Edit: please remember I'm not an electrician, if you're uncomfortable with any aspect of the above, you should consult a licensed professional in your area.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

You could get an in-line gfic like this. Unfortunately the 240v equipment is a lot more expensive than 120v.

http://r.ebay.com/AtLmUN

If you fuse is not rated to 30 amps, you run the risk of blowing it when you run the element. 5500w elements run about 21amps, plus you need a safety margin.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Yep, if you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem. :lolno:
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan