Saving rum dunder

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Saving rum dunder

Post by distiller_dresden »

Hi y'all!

I'm going to be running my second batch of rum Friday on a 2nd gen dunder and once I finish I want to save the dunder, as I don't want to roll into a another batch of rum, I'd like to get into my corn mash development I've discussed in recipes...

I want to save 2 gallons of this 2nd gen dunder so that I have a ready for 3rd gen dunder for my next rum run. Once it's distilled, what's my best bet to save it? Theoretically it would refrigerate yes, since it was boiled for hours... But would I be better off/safer freezing it? For that matter would I 'lose' anything if I froze the 2 gallons, would it harm the dunder?

This is a broader question I have, related to backset in general. When you want to change up what you're mashing and I don't have a distillery with several pot stills and a bank of fermenters... How is the best method to save dunder/backset of rum/sour mash/etc?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Saving rum dunder

Post by DAD300 »

You usually want rum dunder to "ferment." I started putting it in five gallon buckets, in a worm spot and with a loose lid.

Backset for grain? Freeze it.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

+1 on the 5 gal bucket, it will grow some stuff but fret not... it will add much complexity to your next rum.

If by chance it does get an infection, go with a few stripping runs and add the dunder to the spirit run. Mmmmmm Mmmmm, good stuff.

No more than 25% for the spirit run tho
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Thank you for this info!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

A case of quart or 1/2 gallon jars will hold 3 gallons of backset. If you preheat the jars (just fill and dump hot water), you can fill the backset straight off the still while still hot, and it will effectively can the backset, sealing the canning lids when it cools and keeps for maybe forever.

Freezing works fine, and I"ve got several batches in 2 different freezers. But it takes up space, and constant energy, and then when you want to use it it's frozen. Either works, but some of my backset has been in the way in the freezer for a couple years now, kinda wish I'd just canned it.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

This is a great idea Zapata! I already have a shit load of Ball jars, of course! I'm sure and I've read about leaving dunder to sit and fester that it would be fine, but I have no idea when I'd make another rum, and I feel maybe that would kind of force my hand if it got an infection... I'm running the rum tomorrow, since my dad is my running buddy, we're moonshiners together lol it's our thing now it's a new bonding thing we found together, it's really cool thing we've found to love as adults to bond as father and son. So I have 24 hours to decide what I want to do, jars or dunder pit in a 5 gal bucket...
I think I'll have him pick up a 5 gal bucket and some quart Ball jars at the farm/feed store by his work on the way home tonight, he's got Good Friday off thus our plans to run tomorrow. Then I have the supplies to do either, and after the rum is run, I am starting my corn experiment so I can start a few generations of sour mash going the next month.

I want to work on this recipe and get a real sweet, buttery corn lightning in a jar perfected up to a 4th or 5th generation sour mash on my own recipe developed and adjusted on the expertise and knowledge of the legends here - Odin's cereal mash and the Golden Pond mash. I'm updating this work in the recipes development thread if you want to follow.

Thanks for the tips though, I appreciate it. I can't believe I didn't think that, it's obvious having BALL jars around for freaking CANNING jellies and stuff! HAH!!
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

LOL, yeah, between booze and other hobbies I've collected hundreds of jars over the years. Every so often somebody has been in the house or the shed and seen some and started talking jam and preserving, and I'm like "why the hell do people keep bringing this up?". Ummm, because there's 3-4 cases in sight and to normal people that's what CANNING jars are used for!
I'm sure and I've read about leaving dunder to sit and fester that it would be fine, but I have no idea when I'd make another rum, and I feel maybe that would kind of force my hand if it got an infection...
Not "fine" mate, "better"! And it won't force your hand, it will get an infection that's the point, but no rush you can just let it sit. Supposedly the Jamaicans bury some muck pits for long term storage in case they need some years down the road. Good news is you'll probably have enough dunder to do both as any batch of rum makes more dunder than you'll need for the next batch. So can some for an insurance policy, but let the rest fester. The basics are simple.
1. I'd keep bugs out, though some people don't
2. The best microbes grow at a pH of about 5.5, and the pit will constantly want to drop lower than that. Dunder usually starts lower than that so some calcium carbonate (shells, chalk, marl etc) is a good slow buffer, and/or calcium hydroxide (pickling lime) will work faster and stronger. You can let ph swing many times apparently without harm so no need to babysit it constantly.
3. keeping it someplace warm is better
4. Stink is good, so keep it someplace nobody will complain
5. Consider it suspect for tasting directly as it could grow any sort of microbe that might not be healthy to ingest directly, but no known microbes will pose any danger post distillation.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Is there any kind of household stuff/chemical I can add for PH? IE baking soda/powder, magnesium salt, vinegar...? Or do I need to pull a trigger on some shit now?

Tell me what I need to get now to evolve this habit? What's the Amazon list going to be? PH testing strips or-something else better? Then what else? I just picked up a case (12) of quart Ball jars. I have 2 5 gallon buckets already, and I can get those all day long cheap ass at the farm feed store. If you can educate this fresh shiner on supplies for developing this new dunder generation hobby?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

distiller_dresden wrote:Is there any kind of household stuff/chemical I can add for PH? IE baking soda/powder, magnesium salt, vinegar...? Or do I need to pull a trigger on some shit now?

Tell me what I need to get now to evolve this habit? What's the Amazon list going to be? PH testing strips or-something else better? Then what else? I just picked up a case (12) of quart Ball jars. I have 2 5 gallon buckets already, and I can get those all day long cheap ass at the farm feed store. If you can educate this fresh shiner on supplies for developing this new dunder generation hobby?
Welcome to the Funk Train. I store my dunder and backset in carboys. It makes siphoning stuff below the crust easier for me, and one full 5 gallon car boy is perfect for my batch sizes. I have one carboy for backset, and one for dunder so I can keep my generations going.

You can't use strips with dunder, or Rum ferments for that matter. Liquid is too dark and you can't get a reading. My $25 PH meter works for me.

And Ball makes nice half gallon jars too with the large lids, to cut down on the number of jars you may need to pack away.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Dresden, you shouldn't need to buy much. In fact, if you wanted / needed to you could get by without buying anything. Throw in some egg shells and just see what happens. Ph will probably crash, but not before growing some yummy funk. Optimally feed it a steady diet of egg shells, especially if you see the pellicle that grows on top disappear. Cheap easy and free.

A ph meter is super handy for lots of this hobby, so I really don't think a meter is an extravagant expense. I usually get cheap ones when I see a great deal as they crap out every so often, I have had a nicer one last several years though. Your call.

You will likely only ever need to raise the ph of a dunder pit, the microbes will continually lower it. The 2 main things are calcium carbonate and calcium hydroxide. Calcium carbonate dissolves slowly, has a more neutral ph, and is fairly effective as a buffer more so than effecting immediate change. Yes you can buy it. But it is what makes up limestone, egg shells, oyster shells, coral, marl, marble, chalk etc, so you may be able to get it free or cheap. Calcium hydroxide is a much stronger base and is more effective for immediately raising ph. Most easily bought as pickling lime from the grocery store for a few dollars, and most easily used by making a slurry with water, often referred to as "milk of lime", or as a saturated water solution called "lime water". I make lime water with 2 bottles. Bottle one I put water and more lime than will dissolve, once the excess lime settles, pour the clear limewater into bottle 2. Make up more as needed with the sediment in bottle 1.

I would start a pit by using lime water to adjust your backset to 5.5, then throw in some form of calcium carbonate in hopes it acts as a longer term buffer. Check and adjust as needed. Suspend the calcium carbonate in a mesh bag if you want, or maybe just give it a little stir sometimes if it's just sitting on the bottom.

If you really need an amazon list
ph meter http://a.co/hsHMn5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
oyster shell (calcium carbonate) http://a.co/6yoICx2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow (or big bags cheap at a farm store, or small boxes at pet stores maybe even walmart)
OR
Calcium carbonate http://a.co/2msvdPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
AND
Pickling Lime (calcium hydroxide) http://a.co/7Rvh5Fl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Otis and Zapata I can't thank you both enough! I am so completely ready to go into the dunder practice tomorrow after I've cooked off my rum batch now. You both kick ass, thanks thanks thanks!

I'll get some bigger jars later. For now using my quart jars, it's on hand. I'll store a gallon and a half in sanitized jars, and leave the rest of my dunder in the back room in a huge 2 gallon jar I have with the top off. I can transfer it later into a carboy when I've picked one up. Unless y'all think a 5 gallon bucket would be a better temporary vessel for the dunder at warm/room temp?

I'll pick up a decent/dependable PH meter because my dad taught me a valuable lesson a long time ago: when you buy something, like a something you use, stereo, gadget, phone, even laptop, blender, coffee maker, you know, a thing you use... When you buy something, research the options, buy the good one. It's an investment in quality and dependability, you spend a little extra, but in the long run you don't have to spend more over time on replacements. So I'll look for the GOOD PH meter, instead of the funky or cheap ones.

My corn mash is next... in recipes - I'm excited because I'm invested emotionally to do that long term, at least into 4 generations or 5 to get the sour mash going and get a real good sweet corn lighting product produced. I'll update progress and notes in recipes, hope to see you guys there!
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

I'd get a cheap pH meter and calibrate it against your better one. I have a cheap meter that gets used for dunder/muck low wines etc and it never touches my washes.

If its a probe type meter and you can clean and sterilize it (or buy two probes), then that is a different matter.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

A five gal bucket will do just fine, I have mine in a 30 gal brute feed tub with loose lid.

it's nice and funky too, I just peel back the top of the funk to get my syphon into the goods below.

You might get scared of it after a while but fret not my friend, the stuff below all that mess can be some very good stuff for a nice funky rum.

If you're going to do stripping runs may I suggest to add 15-20% dunder total volume to low wines for the spirit run.
Start on the lower end until you find the taste you're after. I do 25% but that's just my warped mind :crazy:
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Stoppin by to say once again to the recent commenters: thank you, thanky thanky thank you so much for the tips! This hobby started way back a year ago with my dad and I just watching moonshiners and talking about my grandfather and his friend having used to make shine and wine in the basement at Christmas and sing O Tannenbaum when they got good and shined up. Then we'd comment how much my grandpa would laugh at the stories and billies on the show and he'd love it.

Then it evolved and dad and I thought, we could do that, and we could do it better than these backwoods guys maybe. Then Christmas came and I opened a 5 gallon copper still and a thumper and worm. Since then I've been mashing and cooking and it's evolved, it's gotten into my blood, it has gotten into something that has awakened something that as a 40 year old man I haven't felt since I was in college and I was writing novel-length stories and short stories on the regular like it was nothing. Then I got married, then there was a long silence of creativity and a kind of love of life that I've rediscovered through shining with my father, then there was divorce and a few years of working and living alone. Then dad had a health scare, so I moved in with him and life changed for both of us.

The one thing my hobby was missing at first was a mentor, a Popcorn Sutton, if you will. This community has given me that feeling, a safety net, a feeling of friends and mentors to refer to and people to offer advice and help or assistance. So thanks everyone for dropping by to give tips, offer ideas and tell me your experiences or thoughts on this dunder thing. It is a little more advanced and I feel it's kind of a Next Step into making liquor that gets into intermediate or mayyybe even something the expert old dogs do, that I'm dipping my toes into. To make a fantastic rum is a HUGE dream of mine now, my favorite rum in the world, which I drink at room temperature is: Ron Anejo Pampero Aniversario, from Venezuala, it comes in a leather bag.

I want to make something like that. Thanks for tips and advice all! If anyone knows how to get THERE, lemme know!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Trial and error my friend, good rum is what you think a good rum is. There's a thread going now that has some of the most valued members here talking and sharing wisdom and opinions and facts on rum.

Dunder/muck is a wonderful addition to rum but is not necessary to make a fine rum IMHO

Each person has their way and the only way to make a path is to follow along until you get a handle on things and THEN break out the saws and chop your own path.

der wo has a thread, I have one, Otis has one, on infections and are probably the most recent ones but there are many threads about here to showcase the "muck" and it's benefits.

My suggestion is stick it in a bucket and leave it, if you want to get Jiggy with it, use a specific ingredient and infect it with a known strain of bacteria. Complicated ain't it. lol
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Hey ShineOn, another member mentioned how specific things or infections can bring specific flavors, is there some kind of fledging master list of these flavors? :looks at ground and digs toe in dirt:
Because I would be really interested in something like that! Customizing the infection or infecTIONS of my dunder is VERY interesting to me...

Oh, and I posted in my developing recipe for rum thread, I just made a rum which is AMAZING from scratch without a dunder-

20% ABV at 5 gallons:
1 gallon Grandma's Molasses (good stuff, not black strap, you can get a gallon of Grandma's molasses on Amazon for $24!)
2 lbs dark brown sugar
3 large bunches (approx 6 each) of ripened large bananas, they sat in a closed bag with apples for 8 days, mashed up
5 gallons water
3 tblsp yeast nutrient
1 packet Home Brew Ohio HOZQ8-390 Fermfast Rum Turbo Yeast 107.5 G Packet (bought on Amazon) I KNOW, but it made f'ing GREAT rum

120 oz out of 5 gallons, so JUST shy of a gallon, took me 8 hours to cook, but worth it! And the hearts from the worm had unbelievable molasses and banana flavors
thumper filled with 26oz of the wash, and 4 oz of the Grandma's molasses (it's the high quality stuff)
Using the higher quality molasses vs black strap

The raw, fresh white rum FROM the worm, the hearts had the richest molasses, banana (YES BANANA!!), and somehow even some freaking vanilla flavors. I can't wait to air this out -- it's already got paper towels over jars and sitting patiently for me to work with it and sip the jars to decide what's being mixed how after a 48 hour rest and breathe.

Can't WAIT to make a rum with this recipe on a 2nd generation dunder with the FUNK!
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Damn, just lost a wordy reply, oh well, here's the short version
download/file.php?id=52466
Use the chart on this page to reference those official acid names with common ones, and chase links for microbes that produce said acids:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboxylic_acid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

But in general, butyric, proprionic, and acetic acid producing bacteria make various fruity kind of esters, while lactic makes more sweet, creamy, caramel type flavors.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I found a site offering a wide range of White Labs stuff, one of which is
White labs Malolactic Cultures liquid

Which isn't that a lactic bacterial infection? Could I just pick up a tube of this and dump some into my dunder bucket and let the good, caramel/creamy type flavors times roll in a month or so when I work back into my rum?
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Save ya money...malolactic bacteria eats malic acid in a wine must and converts it to lactic acid. You can cultivate lactic bacteria in you dunder by adding a cheese that has the organism still living in it...like parmesan cheese.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Thanks!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I used Swiss cheese, yogurt, and malted barley. 1 pit each and really couldn't tell much difference in the 3. I still have a quart of each for blending into other rums.
PuddinJack
Novice

Post by PuddinJack »

Not sure if anyone here has tried this ....... but it has worked for me, the last 4 years, without fail so far..... and its so easy...... right after your run..... fill an empty gallon water jug ( I make sure I get the ones with a screw on lid ) with the hot stillage...... fill it right to the top...... screw the lid on and lay the jug on the side for a few min ....... The idea is that the stillage is scalding hot and will pasteurize the inside of the jug. I have kept stillage in this manner for as long as a year and a half with no ill effect.... I just label it and tuck it away for future use.... no need to refrigerate or freeze.
Some beer makers do this with their new wort , right after the boil, in order to store it till they are ready to ferment..... I believe they call it hot cubing....I think they use larger jugs.... but hey... water jugs were on hand when I tried it.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

That's a great idea PuddinJack, I did that very thing but with what I had on hand, with quart ball jars, and saved 5 of them. I also saved the rest of my dunder about 2.5 gal in a 5 gal bucket to try to develop some infected dunder/dunder pit so I have both things going on. I'll be getting back to rum in May, after 2 more batches of corn shine mash in and cooked off. One, not of the 'two', is fermenting off right now and I'm pretty happy with the ferment it's been going really well for almost a week now. You can follow progress on my corn shine recipe development in my thread, "Corn flake/cracked corn combo development," and my rum thread will have updates when I get back to that, it's, "Light fruit rum theory - ideas/input?"

You can also check out a great thread on dunders, infected dunders, and esters in High Ester Rum, but that's not my thread - though it's really great, some awesome advanced stuff going there.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Be careful with that rum dunder. I dumped my well aged dunder and my little dog got into it, she didn't get much of it either. That dunder had a neurotoxin in it that cost me a 700 dollar vet bill.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Got my first infection finally! It's whitish circles, and it's putting off a sweet, sour, fruity smell.

Anyone have ideas?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

distiller_dresden wrote:Got my first infection finally! It's whitish circles, and it's putting off a sweet, sour, fruity smell.

Anyone have ideas?
A picture would he a huge help.

Are the circles tan and film thin? Or are the circles white and puffy around the edges, like little barrier reefs? Those are two I may recognize.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
distiller_dresden
Trainee

dunder infec.jpg
sampix
Novice

Post by sampix »

I am about to start my first rum and I am looking forward to developing a dunder for future rums. But, I live in the desert and temps are going to be above 100f every day for about the next four months. The only place I really have to save the dunder is in my garage, which will hit 120-130f during the afternoon when the sun is hitting the door, or my shed, which I imagine gets similarly hot. My question is: Will the bacteria be able to survive in the dunder at those temperatures? I guess I will find out soon enough, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with high temperatures and dunder.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Good question; let me send a message to a few of the heavy hitter experts to chime in here. They'll know. I'm a noob at dunder savin'. Glad you're in the game, welcome!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

sampix wrote:I am about to start my first rum and I am looking forward to developing a dunder for future rums. But, I live in the desert and temps are going to be above 100f every day for about the next four months.
Jamaican temps are pretty close to that

OVZ