Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Azbrew
Novice

Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by Azbrew »

First time running this wash. Seems to work very well. I had to make 3 runs with it as my still is only 2.5g. On all 3 runs first pull was 120 and stopped running when it it 80. In all I pulled 7 pints. (Would have been 8 but forgot to discard the foreshot on the last run)

Side note this is the 4 time I have run the still and so far my best results.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If you forgot to discard the foreshots does that mean you made no cuts at all ?
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Post by The Dark Alchemist »

Stripped first batch last night and laid down the next wash - threw in an oyster shell to see if that controls the pH through the ferment.

Looking forward to spiriting this one. It does have a different flavour straight off the still, for the better I reckon. Very keen to see how the end product turns out.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:threw in an oyster shell to see if that controls the pH through the ferment.
Keep checking the Ph even doe you have added oyster shell.. from experience, the oyster shell will be of assistance with grains, but are not that useful with sugar shine.. oyster shells are somewhat slow to dissolve in sugar wash, as the Ph will crash within the first 12 hrs or less..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

StillerBoy wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:threw in an oyster shell to see if that controls the pH through the ferment.
Keep checking the Ph even doe you have added oyster shell.. from experience, the oyster shell will be of assistance with grains, but are not that useful with sugar shine.. oyster shells are somewhat slow to dissolve in sugar wash, as the Ph will crash within the first 12 hrs or less..

Mars
Thx Mars, I now have a nice pH meter and keen to use it :eugeek: Will avoid the egg shells, got a bit messy in the end. Got a reasonable quantity from the strip; about 7.5L so keen to find the quality splits too.
Azbrew
Novice

Post by Azbrew »

Saltbush Bill wrote:If you forgot to discard the foreshots does that mean you made no cuts at all ?
Made cuts (I think I forgot) so I tossed the first pint just to be safe.

Better safe than sorry.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Stripped 2nd batch last night; 23L gave back about 8L down to 10% off the still. Looks so clean - next strip has fermented out, so will hit that over the weekend.....
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Stripping this reflux now 95% abv
Seems pretty clean
Gonna make good gin :)
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Cabron99
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cabron99 »

Figured I'd better get my name on the list of illustrious shiners that have tried this wash. Just mixed it up. Thanks, Wineo!!
"Life is too short for cheap cigars"
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Sadly Wineo has not been with us for many moons...don't know if he has joined one of the other forums...don't know.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Cabron99
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cabron99 »

PH crashed to 2.99. Fermentation stopped, so added about 2 tbls oyster shell. Back up and bubbling within about 15 minutes. Live and learn.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Cabron99 wrote:PH crashed to 2.99. Fermentation stopped, so added about 2 tbls oyster shell. Back up and bubbling within about 15 minutes. Live and learn.
You got lucky.

Next time, don’t wait until the pH crashes to 3.0 or lower. Your yeast may not revive next time from the “electric shock”.

I hope the “lesson learned” is to be more pro-active rather than so reactive.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Cabron99
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cabron99 »

Thank you, SS. Accent on "learn" in "live and learn".
Cabron
Newguy87
Novice

Post by Newguy87 »

@wineo with this recipe can I add too shelf essences to this recipe after distilled
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Newguy87 wrote:@wineo with this recipe can I add too shelf essences to this recipe after distilled
Why? What are you trying to make?

Choose a T&T recipe that produces the product you want instead of making a neutral and adding a consortium of flavors. It can be done, but it won’t produce the quality you’re wanting, or capable of.
ss
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

dukethebeagle120 wrote:Stripping this reflux now 95% abv
Seems pretty clean
Gonna make good gin :)
This is pretty smooth after 6 weeks for a sugar wash
Gonna keep it for a vodka
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

StillerBoy wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:After TPW, I can't get over how clear this wash is
And you will never go back to TPW..Mars
And I haven't!!! I've done 1 TPW since, to use the last of my tomato paste and its been steady WPOSW since. It's such a clean ferment, I don't even syphon it into the boiler, just a careful pour out of the fermenter.

Thanks for your help in the early ferments Mars..
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Wife likes vodka so I'm making this wash now and gonna do three more so I can do a spirit run of this ive got a fruit mash going an all grain started last night and I understand stalled my uj variation its ph was 3.4 I threw in some oyster shells its start was 1062 stalled at 1040 now its like 1025 so I figured it out !! Yayy me. It was between wposw or BIRDWATCHERS I chose wposw after I heard about the tomato paste leAving a weird taste
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:Thanks for your help in the early ferments Mars..
Your most welcome..

The wash can be improved by leaving out the milt-vitamins and replace it with Fermaid instead.. with the vitamins it take 7 - 10 days to ferment out.. with the Fermaid, it's done in 3 days, clearing in 5 days.. and for neutral, stop stripping at the 50% abv overall average, don't need the tails..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Durhommer wrote:Wife likes vodka so I'm making this wash now and gonna do three more so I can do a spirit run of this ive got a fruit mash going an all grain started last night and I understand stalled my uj variation its ph was 3.4 I threw in some oyster shells its start was 1062 stalled at 1040 now its like 1025 so I figured it out !! Yayy me. It was between wposw or BIRDWATCHERS I chose wposw after I heard about the tomato paste leAving a weird taste
For vodka, it all depends on the carry over flavour you want.. all neutral have to be refluxed at 95% abv... but even at 95% there is still flavour carried over.. so you may want to experience with difference wash, until you find the flavour profile you like.. rice has a nice profile, so has oats..

And sugar wash are known for acidic crash.. within the first 8 - 10 hrs, check the Ph, and adjust with calcium carbonate or calcium hydroxide..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Thanks will keep going this is great
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

The airlock is going nuts on this wash guess that's why its in tried and true
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Ok so my wposw airlock has slowed to about1 burp 5 seconds this smells kinda pineappley I'm wondering what that's about any ideas maybe from the red star yeast(dady)?
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Is it the citric acid??
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Durhommer wrote:...this smells kinda pineappley...I'm wondering what that's about...?
“Pineapple” smells in a ferment is the result of fermentation as produced by the yeast. It is ethyl butrate, sometimes methyl butrate, depending on the wort/wash. It is an ester.

Also, some yeast strains (e.g. - Belgian ale yeasts) are more inclined to produce it...as an intermediary product of the fermentation. Typically it is reduced as fermentation progresses however, so don’t panic by it at this point. Most likely as the ferment attenuates, the ester will reduce to alcohol.

Starting with a high gravity (sugar) wash, over pitching the yeast, and inadequate oxygenation/aeration at the start in conjunction with a warmer than normal ferment temperature can aggravate the condition.

I recommend to let the ferment fully attenuate and flocculate before racking it to the boiler to strip. You’ll get the best and most alcohol out of it that way. You’ve got to wait on it....”patience” is the most difficult thing to bottle.
ss
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Thank you for the input still stirrin I wanted to say the esters or ethyl butrate but didn't want to get bad mouthed by someone iffin I were wrong. I like this sugar wash and the uj wash but will be happy to be off the sugar stuff. Ill probably dabble with sugar here and there but I'm really trying to focus on an ag path. It was exciting figuring the process out and I will be much more prepared next week. Again ss dude thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Durhommer wrote:...I'm really trying to focus on an ag path...
Not to derail this Tried & True recipe thread, I urge you to read about all grain mash processes on some of the homebrew (beer) websites...beyond the HD site. You really need to “bone up” on the methods and tools needed....for success.
Durhommer wrote:...dude...
You don’t have to call me this.... “ss” is fine with me.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I plan on gathering a bit more "professional" equipment money is funny at the moment (2 boys in braces) ive been checking out some beer brewing info I can see that a lot of processes are parallel I think I am gonna have to change gears on this hobby tho life is getting heavy at t he moment. So maybe a run or two every couple months for now while I get over this hump.I just wish I had more time to devote to the craft at the moment
guns4america
Novice

Post by guns4america »

Hello all, I'm a total newb and decide to try this as my first real wash. Before I did a lot of major reading here, I made the normal newb mistake of ordering turbo yeast, turbo carbon, turbo clear, etc. So not to be wasteful, I started one 5 gallon wash of turbo to be my sacrificial run on my new still.

I started (3) 5 gallon batches of this wash yesterday afternoon with a slightly high sg of 1.084. Just for giggles, I tested 2 of my 3 buckets today, at just around 24hrs later. One is at 1.040, the other 1.050. Does this seem like a decent pace? I'm trying to keep them around 80F.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Supposedly this wash finishes in 2 weeks but I feel temperature has a lot to do with it I have 16 gallons of this working off its been cool where I'm at so its been moving slow.my first 4 gallon of this I started on the first of this month and still isnt done!!! If u follow his recipe to the letter plus I feel keep your fermentation around 90 degrees you shouldn't have an issue. With you using turbo u will be done in half the time or less! Id look into other yeasts tho.I'm partial to a blend of bakers and dady.for some reason the combination of the two gives a nice smell in the final product.I've also heard good things about us05 yeast.hell I'm a noob too, this place is brimming with info and reliable recipes.do yourself a favor and look up bakers wash its like wineos but it finishes out in 3-4 days so I'm told haven't got around to trying it yet as all my fermenters are full of wineos and my own corn oat blend