Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Post by Durhommer »

interesting will have to invest in a good sherry any certain sherry KB
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

You'll probably want to get a Oloroso style sherry.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

thanks cayars
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
conodor
Novice

Post by conodor »

I have a convection/microwave oven. It comes with a metal rack. i leave that in there when i nuke a piece of pizza. It's easy to remove. The entire inside of the microwave is metal.

Just want to verify that there's no concerns using this style of microwave.

Thanks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

conodor wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 pm...Just want to verify that there's no concerns using this style of microwave...
RU nutz? It’s your damn microwave....and you don’t know if it’s safe ot not to cook metal in it?

I’d say, if you don’t know...then you’d better unplug it right now before you hurt yourself. You’re dangerous. :wtf:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

conodor wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 pm I have a convection/microwave oven.
Does it have an option to just nuke without convection?

If so, it would just be working as a regular microwave if you choose that option.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Microwave mode only shouldn't be an issue...

Convection isn't required...

Happy Stillin

FS
conodor
Novice

Post by conodor »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:33 pm
conodor wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 pm...Just want to verify that there's no concerns using this style of microwave...
RU nutz? It’s your damn microwave....and you don’t know if it’s safe ot not to cook metal in it?

I’d say, if you don’t know...then you’d better unplug it right now before you hurt yourself. You’re dangerous. :wtf:
ss
Some people on this site make it difficult for new people to feel comfortable here. I've read a lot on this site and I've see so many posts where people rip into someone and have no idea what they are talking about. This is a prime example.

There's more advanced microwaves out on the market since the 70s that ONLY microwave. They are a microwave/convection oven combo. It's a microwave by default, and you hit a button to change it over to convection oven mode.( electric heater with a fan basically) It has a metal rack inside the machine. It stays in there on either mode. So YES you can cook metal in a microwave. Due to the fact that it's held to the side of the microwave with plastic clips there's no issues with arc.

But if you would have read my comment completely rather than just rip on a guy with low post count you can see i didn't ask can I put metal inside a microwave. I asked if there was a concern with using a convection/microwave oven. Due to the fact that it has the combo feature on it. What I've read I didn't see anyone mention this.

Post counts don't equal IQ... Don't call someone "nutz" and "dangerous" if you don't know what you are talking about, or can't even spend 10 seconds to read their entire post. I think i'm going to go find a forum that isn't so aggressive.
Last edited by conodor on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
conodor
Novice

Post by conodor »

FullySilenced wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:26 am Microwave mode only shouldn't be an issue...

Convection isn't required...

Happy Stillin

FS
FS/Bagasso,

Thanks for the sensible replies, Yes it's microwave by default. This is my 2nd micro/convection, i rarely use the convection part of it. Once or twice while cooking for a large party basically when i needed a 3rd stove.

I searched all over and couldn't find any draw backs due to the convection oven option. I took the rack out, did 30 - 45 second burts with no issues. I wouldn't use the convection portion with the spirits inside.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I honestly have never had a combo unit like that, so really know nothing about the combo units.

But if the rack does come out then the safe bet might be to remove it when nuking a jar. You may need to remove it to fit the jar anyway.

Chances are you would be fine but if you want to try it, the safe thing to do would be to take it outside and try it on a couple of jars and have a fire extinguisher near by just for safety reasons.

You are probably 99.99% safe using it AS IS, but why take a chance if you can greatly reduce any potential fire hazard by trying it outside first?

Another option would be to pick up a dedicated microwave just for this use. I just saw a small microwave that fits a quart/liter mason jar for $29.95 at Walmart yesterday. I know it fits a mason jar because the MW and jars were 2 row away from each other so I grabbed a jar and tried it in the display unit. I almost purchased it myself just for use near the still but I already have 2 working microwaves so...

Right now is a great time to purchase things like this with "black friday" sales going on assuming you are in the US.

Just food for thought.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

conodor wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 am I think i'm going to go find a forum that isn't so aggressive.
Bro, looks you didn't see the mess that happens on the Russian forums...
:silent:
гохард или пнх.gif

har druckit för mycket
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

On my last spirit run of SF, I think I may have grabbed a jar too many from the heads, due to feeling a bit under the weather. At any rate, rather than nuking, I think Im going to set up my Anova immersion cooker, set the temperature of the water bath, and give a test jar a soak. I think I can better control the temperature of the booze this way than I can using the microwave.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

A video of nuclear aging with UJSSM:

SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

IMG_20200721_203442.jpg
Been doing wood chip infusion for my ujssm from just about the beginning. I had first started with coffee beans, black tea but after I started experimenting with wood I just stuck with it because its so damn good. Just read on the news some craft distiller is doing it as well. I think the physics of infusion be it from a barrel or chips is the same. Obviously, in a barrel it takes longer compared to chips. I usually get results in hours if using wood chips on their first run and days if already used. I use a tropical red oak, has really good flavor. In my opinion it's just as good as the big boys I cut my chips small 3/16x 2 inch, bake them then torch them black.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

SGB wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:16 pm I think the physics of infusion be it from a barrel or chips is the same.
Infusion, but not [further] transformation. The chemical magics happen across the border of phases.

Two hints might be helpful:
A) Take out and dry your chips periodically (and then drop'em back).
B) Saturate monthly your infusion with air oxygen (by means of pump, syringe, etc.).

Bon chance!

har druckit för mycket
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

I understand the O2 but what does drying the chips do?
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Canuckwoods wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:22 am what does drying the chips do?
For the sake of the angels' share :lol:

Gas exchange occurs through the wall of the cask, one side of which is in contact with the environment, and the other is constantly wet. There is a moisture gradient in the thickness of the wall: the air is in contact with the liquid somewhere within the wood mass. The contact area is rather large and significant to work out the beverage profile. It would be nice to simulate this process.

I think the most desirable "true-ish" oxidation occurs in a piece of wood, partially dry / partially wet. Or dried-to-soaked alternately...

har druckit för mycket
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Yes I do dry them out, but to reuse them. Sometimes will drop the back in the jar if I feel it needs more flavor or color. If I can possibly distill more than I drink I can try the in n out dry n wet more time process.
Thanks for the tips!
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

You are welcome. And don't try to dry them super fast in your MWO just after you picked them out of your spirit. If you don't wanna get a campfire inside...

har druckit för mycket
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Hi guys I made oak sticks from sherry staves and I done some nuke aging and I have a question is your oak sweet aswell ? Literally I feel like I would put 10tbsp of vanilla sugar in my alochol I don't know is it because I used American oak what sherry been age in it or is it normal ? I am planning grab some whisky staves and make sticks from them to compare the taste.
LowEnd88
Novice

Post by LowEnd88 »

is there consensus on what proof is best for the microwave aging? Reading through this thread i've seen anywhere from 80 proof to 150 proof...
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

My final thoughts about nuclear aging (been doing it for a long while):

This does NOT age your spirit instantly. It does color and oak it, but does NOT age it. After you have done the microwaving, you have to wait at least for two weeks to get the oak flavor blend in with the spirit perfectly (remove the chips right after microwaving).

After doing the nuclear thing, do not drink it! Just let the spirit rest for two weeks in the bottle (without the chips). After two weeks, you get the equivalent of 2-3 months of traditional oaking/aging on chips.

So this gives you the results of 2-3 months of oaking/aging in 2 weeks, which is still PERFECT!

Summary: After doing nuclear thingy, wait for two weeks until the oak flavor blends in with the spirit (bottle aging). And do not forget to remove the chips right after microwaving, they have done their job. This way, the oak flavor will blend in with the spirit perfectly, and you are there.
pablosky
Novice

Post by pablosky »

kyolic wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:55 pm My final thoughts about nuclear aging (been doing it for a long while):

This does NOT age your spirit instantly. It does color and oak it, but does NOT age it. After you have done the microwaving, you have to wait at least for two weeks to get the oak flavor blend in with the spirit perfectly (remove the chips right after microwaving).

After doing the nuclear thing, do not drink it! Just let the spirit rest for two weeks in the bottle (without the chips). After two weeks, you get the equivalent of 2-3 months of traditional oaking/aging on chips.

So this gives you the results of 2-3 months of oaking/aging in 2 weeks, which is still PERFECT!

Summary: After doing nuclear thingy, wait for two weeks until the oak flavor blends in with the spirit (bottle aging). And do not forget to remove the chips right after microwaving, they have done their job. This way, the oak flavor will blend in with the spirit perfectly, and you are there.
Hello everyone! In my opinion, the nuclear does not give me flavors of whiskey in 15 days or in a month ... it only gives color, I have tried this method without results, in my country (Argentina) JD chips are not sold there is only American oak or French toast and char it to taste, using these, I have not achieved anything, the taste is horrible and the smell too, the only thing that seems to give good results is to let the spirit rest for at least two months with enough oak and after filtering leave rest for 5 or 6 months minimum, all tests at 65 ABV, 70% corn and 30% wheat. Any help like making a good nuclear flavored true Whiskey is welcome.
Thank you
time and tide neither stop nor wait
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

pablosky wrote:
kyolic wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:55 pm My final thoughts about nuclear aging (been doing it for a long while):

Hello everyone! In my opinion, the nuclear does not give me flavors of whiskey in 15 days or in a month ... it only gives color, I have tried this method without results, in my country (Argentina) JD chips are not sold there is only American oak or French toast and char it to taste, using these, I have not achieved anything, the taste is horrible and the smell too, the only thing that seems to give good results is to let the spirit rest for at least two months with enough oak and after filtering leave rest for 5 or 6 months minimum, all tests at 65 ABV, 70% corn and 30% wheat. Any help like making a good nuclear flavored true Whiskey is welcome.
Thank you
I wasn't impressed ether and I am quite patient so i am just going straight to real aging.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

pablosky wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:02 pm Any help like making a good nuclear flavored true Whiskey is welcome.
I doubt you'll ever get that help. It's just a way for new distillers to quickly put something in their drinks cabinets while they wait for their 'true Whiskey' to age.

If you really don't like yours, you should look at your notes for your ferments and cuts and try to find ways to tweak some of your new make to be better suited for nuclear aging to be drunk young.
pablosky
Novice

Post by pablosky »

Zeotropic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:53 pm
pablosky wrote:

Thank you
I wasn't impressed ether and I am quite patient so i am just going straight to real aging.

I think it is the best alternative
pablosky
Novice

Post by pablosky »

NZChris wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:09 pm
pablosky wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:02 pm Any help like making a good nuclear flavored true Whiskey is welcome.
I doubt you'll ever get that help. It's just a way for new distillers to quickly put something in their drinks cabinets while they wait for their 'true Whiskey' to age.

If you really don't like yours, you should look at your notes for your ferments and cuts and try to find ways to tweak some of your new make to be better suited for nuclear aging to be drunk young.

I appreciate your answer, it is very useful ... I think I will choose the longest path and let time play its role, luckily I have been storing spirits with different tests since October 2020, some of them I hope to be able to test from April onwards, and This leaves me as a final conclusion that the nuclear process does not work for me.
Greetings from Argentina!!
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

For those who uses oak dominoes (i personally use block of 1/2 x 1/2 x 3"), can we reuse them severals time or after nuclear agein we used the most of its flavors and we should discard them?

Regards
Evil_Dark
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Depends on the character you're going for. Bourbon-like. No. Scotch/Irish-like. yes.

Hannibbl
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

I use this method but in the oven. Bring cask strength liquid up to 120-150f with a few charred oak chunks in it. Pull out of oven with oven mitts. Install cover. Put in deep freeze or outside on a winter day. Leave the vacuum on it and sit it in the basement for a few days. Whenever I remember or feel some ambition, Do another heat cool cycle. I think it works great. A few staves of charred oak in a half gallon jar. Gets some color almost immediately, flavor comes in after a few cycles. Just taste test every so often.