Adding corn to low wines?

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Adding corn to low wines?

Post by Canuckwoods »

Just sitting here watching HBB run into my carboy, and I had a thought if I put a handful of cracked corn in would it boost the flavour when I go running the sprit run?
cayars
Distiller

Re: Adding corn to low wines?

Post by cayars »

I doubt you'll get much from it but probably depends on how long it marinates. You could potentially pick up proteins or oils that could muck things up as much as add good flavor.

Try it and let us know.

You could potentially try a corn flavor extract as well pre/post distillation as well with something like:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Corn-Flavor- ... -lEALw_wcB

I'd be interested in knowing your results.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Canuckwoods wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:28 pm...would it boost the flavour...
Well, it certainly would change the flavor. Is that really what you want to do?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Yeah, I didn't think it was a good idea. I might try it on a smaller batch.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Watch out for burn on with unconverted grains. It's probably best done with them in a thumper.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I did an experiment once, and only once, adding un-fermented grains to my thumper during a spirit run. The process cooked the grains into a solid cake that rode the top during distillation. A bear to clean out through a 2” opening.

This is not exactly the same situation as you have there, but I’m curious about your results.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I tried that with corn as well and ended up with a brick in my thumper. It definitely turned the corn to starch and got thick.
It actually started to puke bad and I was using a worm at the time.
But now that I think about it I don't remember the spirits I got out having more corn flavor.

I think I actually read the op message a little off from what was meant/asked. I was thinking the corn would be added, then removed before redistilling, sort of like a marinate. Not sure where I got that from.

This got me thinking and I might try this myself with some high proof heads marinated with corn, then drained and used in the next batch to see if the marinate pulls the corn flavor and how much carries over.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Yes, I was just going to leave the corn in while I collect enough low wines the strain it off.
tandemcart
Novice

Post by tandemcart »

I have tried exactly this and had a quick chat on the forums here under the name "maceration whiskey" I think.

I collected low wines from a TPW wash and soaked a few kg of malted barley and some kibbled maize. Low wines at 20%abv so I could store it all in my fermenters.

Then distilled and cut etc. It made a really nice light "bourbon" from effectively vodka. Decent corn/malt flavour.

Then I tried it with homegrown blue corn and it was the worst. Tasted like pink hubba bubba chewing gum.

It's something that I want to keep experimenting with as it's significantly cheaper with potentially great results. But I wouldn't do it in a big batch in case it funks out