Intro

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

HorseMarine
Novice

Intro

Post by HorseMarine »

I'm a 69 yo yankee transplant to the south and have run my initial test batch. My intention is to create small batches (2.5 gal copper onion) and essence flavor them. I want to avoid the sweet apple/peach pie recipes, favoring subtle flavorings. Trying to be safe and efficient. I'm a 'sponge' here. Mark P
thecroweater
retired

Re: Intro

Post by thecroweater »

With that still you won't need to flavour nothing, welcome, here
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Howdy, HorseMarine.

Opinion:
Take it from a former essence user, the quality of the liquor you make yourself will only be compromised by essences.
They tend to give an over-the-top, phony flavor --like you're trying to fix a bad drink, rather than enhance a good one.
That's my experience.

Instead, I recommend our Tried & true Recipes. They're proven to work, and taste great. Start with sugar recipes to get your bearings,
and slowly graduate to grain recipes. (And note there isn't an essence to be found!)

I certainly hope this helps you, HorseMarine.
Good luck, and Welcome to Home Distiller!
HorseMarine
Novice

Post by HorseMarine »

fizzix wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:31 am Howdy, HorseMarine.

Opinion:
Take it from a former essence user, the quality of the liquor you make yourself will only be compromised by essences.
They tend to give an over-the-top, phony flavor --like you're trying to fix a bad drink, rather than enhance a good one.
That's my experience.

Instead, I recommend our Tried & true Recipes. They're proven to work, and taste great. Start with sugar recipes to get your bearings,
and slowly graduate to grain recipes. (And note there isn't an essence to be found!)

I certainly hope this helps you, HorseMarine.
Good luck, and Welcome to Home Distiller!
thecroweater wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:49 am With that still you won't need to flavour nothing, welcome, here
Thank you for the welcome and I hope this is the way you reply. Already learned a great deal!
HorseMarine
Novice

Post by HorseMarine »

thecroweater wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:49 am With that still you won't need to flavour nothing, welcome, here
Thank you.
:thumbup:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Good advice given . Takin it is your option . Welcome .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
HorseMarine
Novice

Post by HorseMarine »

Missed the peaches...all GONE!!! 3 weeks ago I coulda had peaches AND venison!!! Thanks to all y'alls input!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

HorseMarine wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:32 am I'm a 69 yo yankee transplant to the south and have run my initial test batch. My intention is to create small batches (2.5 gal copper onion) and essence flavor them. I want to avoid the sweet apple/peach pie recipes, favoring subtle flavorings. Trying to be safe and efficient. I'm a 'sponge' here. Mark P
A belated welcome to you, sir. But the correct term is ‘damn yankee.’ A yankee is someone who visits the south from up North - then goes back. A damn yankee comes down here and stays. So I was told when I married a North Florida girl. :)

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

My only experience was with whiskey essences, and all 3 I tried were nothing like whiskey. A waste of a good neutral. My whiskeys now are grain, oak, and time. Neutrals become gin, limoncello, nocino, or a rare panty dropper.