Corona virus etc. and handwash.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Corona virus etc. and handwash.

Post by The Baker »

Hi,
The virus is very serious and going worldwide.
Recent news indicates handwash/ disinfectant may be or become in short supply.

Some handwashes etc. contain antibiotics which I believe are ineffectual against viruses.

The web says the main ingredient is ethyl alcohol!
A popular 'disinfectant' in Australia contains 60% w/w (not maybe the same as ABV) of ethanol.

So you have the makings to hand. And more or less for free.

Geoff
The Baker
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Corona virus etc. and handwash.

Post by cob »

I prefer to let my ethanol wash my hands from the inside out. (we need a hic emoji) :ewink:
be water my friend
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Our supermarket has run out, so I'm planning on making some out of foreshots, aloe gel, manuka and lavender. I only need the manuka, but I've been too busy to get on my bike and go and get some.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Someone just gave me 75 Kg of white sugar.....with it and a 3 inch boka I should be able to make a fair bit of hand wash...
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I've seen aloe vera gel online ( 'Coles online' ) at $9.40 Australian for 100 grams.

Does that look expensive?

Geoff
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It's expensive if you already have an aloe vera in your garden. Unfortunately, mine has disappeared and I hadn't noticed :(
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Local shortages maybe, but I doubt that there will be anything widespread or prolonged; its easy to make.

Stuff you buy I'm the store is 70%, sanitizer at the hospital is substantially more potent as it contains additional antimicrobials which make them way more effective with hard to kill critters.

That said, just simply washing your hands and avoiding touching your face/mouth will do most of the job.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Rubbing alcohol can be bought at Walmart in two different percentages. Don't forget your spray disinfectants (lysol or equiv). It would not hurt to have some expectorant and decongestants on hand, as well as a pain reliever, (besides ethanol) just in case you or a family member becomes ill. It's good to have this stuff on hand anyway.
You can get real sudafed here at the drugstore if you ask the pharmacy, just dont ask for ten boxes, they may think your making meth, especially if you look like meth head.
Large bottles of hand sanitizer (32 ounce) can be bought at Walmart as well.
Don't forget about bleach, it will kill near about anything. Don't drink it straight, it burns going down, so my ex told me.
Stock up on ammo as well for coronabies which are coming back to life approx. two weeks after death. lol
Just don't panic, and don't tell people what your doing to prep, so there are big rushes on stores before yo get your needed long term supplies. Information/Operations Security.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

you fellas been drinking too much. you're starting to sound paranoid.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

HDNB wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 am you fellas been drinking too much. you're starting to sound paranoid.
+ 1 HDNB

Hand wash or not, if you are to get it, no amount of hand washing will stop it..

And let's not forget, this man made virus is just an experiment by the world leader on how they can reduce and better control the mass..

Does it matter if it a virus in China or a President in Venezuela.. it all about the thing.. how much will the mass tolerate before they raise up against them..

In the end it really does not matter, cause we all have to go one day.. so why worry about that day..

Enjoy today, and let tomorrow be tomorrow for whatever it may be as it may never come..

Mars
Last edited by StillerBoy on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

HDNB wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 am you fellas been drinking too much. you're starting to sound paranoid.
Nah, I'm not concerned till it's at the gate.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Expat wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:34 am Local shortages maybe, but I doubt that there will be anything widespread or prolonged; its easy to make.

Stuff you buy I'm the store is 70%, sanitizer at the hospital is substantially more potent as it contains additional antimicrobials which make them way more effective with hard to kill critters.

That said, just simply washing your hands and avoiding touching your face/mouth will do most of the job.
But antimicrobials are ineffective against a virus (though of course good against germs).

Geoff
The Baker
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Working with numerous Chinese suppliers,,, I don't care about.

har druckit för mycket
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

The Baker wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:53 am
Expat wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:34 am Local shortages maybe, but I doubt that there will be anything widespread or prolonged; its easy to make.

But antimicrobials are ineffective against a virus (though of course good against germs).

Geoff
You're thinking of antibiotics, alcohol is actually pretty effective at stripping the outer sheething of viruses. A few other chemicals add killing power.

Cross flow condenser
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I thought 70% was best for sterility because stronger stuff evaporates too fast to work thoroughly.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

The government here is saying wash hands for at least 20 seconds, keep hands away from eyes, nose, mouth, but right now they say their is little risk, but I would think this would depend where the you live in this country. I imagine the risk would be higher where there have been reported cases without knowledge of where it originated and who the infected came in contact with.
There is not much an individual can do apart from good hygiene and avoid groups of people and the sick if suspected of having the virus.
Right now I'm not anymore concerned with this virus as the flu, but if and when it starts spreading crazily across the country I will adjust.
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Did you all see where they tested a dog with the virus. I think the country was S. Korea, but I'm not sure. They said it needed to be looked at more to make sure.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

There was once two scientists. Each had a different points of view. Both have left their marks on civilization...
Let’s look at the human body like a farmer would look at a piece of land, and its ability to grow crops. One farmer believes that through the use of chemicals to the soil and crops he would prevent bugs, and weeds from taking over your crops, in return this increases the farmers yield and ultimately his bottom line.
The other farmer believes that working the land, practicing things such as crop rotation resting the soil periodically will produce a crop that will be wholesome and all natural. His hard work makes his crops more desirable due to their health benefits, and he too makes a profit.
Back to the 2 scientists…One scientist believes you treat the virus, by introducing it to another controlled microorganism that stops it… The other scientist believes that you prevent the virus by increasing the hosts’ immune system…

I believe both to be right, but like the farmers one has less impact on the balance of nature. You be the judge. I’m not afraid of the Corona Virus… I am more afraid of the impact of the fear driving this news frenzy.
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

BlackStrap wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:32 am I’m not afraid of the Corona Virus… I am more afraid of the impact of the fear driving this news frenzy.
*had* some money in the stock market huh?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

[/quote]
*had* some money in the stock market huh?
[/quote]

Stock market comes with risk... Those who play should be aware of those risks, before stepping up to the table.
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

BlackStrap wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:32 am I’m not afraid of the Corona Virus… I am more afraid of the impact of the fear driving this news frenzy.
I guess it can depend on what you read.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/15/co ... the-world/
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

I'm not all that worried about it, almost everyone that contracts the virus recovers just fine. Almost all the deaths have been in people with weak immune systems (old, very young, sick).
Wash your hands frequently, avoid touching your face, those are the best precautions.
If it ends up that there is transmission through the air (beyond direct cough/sneeze impact), then those two become less likely to prevent infection, but still good practise.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

I read an article about people not wanting Corona beer because of the virus. What a bunch of morons!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Eire Whiskey wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:16 am I read an article about people not wanting Corona beer because of the virus. What a bunch of morons!
They belong to the same type of idiots who eat bats, have no hygiene and trigger viral pandemics. :sick:

Cross flow condenser

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Expat wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:36 pm
Eire Whiskey wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:16 am I read an article about people not wanting Corona beer because of the virus. What a bunch of morons!
They belong to the same type of idiots who eat bats, have no hygiene and trigger viral pandemics. :sick:
Yep
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Historically
When a population gets too dense
Mother Nature thins it out.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

99.9% of all life that has ever existed on earth is now extinct.

someday the planet will flush the toilet on humans too.
be water my friend
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:21 am
I guess it can depend on what you read.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/15/co ... the-world/
Nuff said. Don't read that. That's about politics, not healthcare.

From Mikhail Bulgakov’s Heart of a Dog:
—If you care about your digestion, my advice is — don’t talk about bolshevism or medicine at table. And, god forbid — never read soviet newspapers before dinner.
—Hmm… But there are no other newspapers.
—In that case don’t read any at all. Do you know I once made thirty tests in my clinic. And what do you think? The patients who never read newspapers felt excellent. Those whom I specially made read Pravda all lost weight. […] And not only did they lose weight. Their knee reflexes were retarded, they lost appetite and exhibited general depression.

And folks: don't drink that donkey urine... ehm,,, Corona Extra, right? :mrgreen: it's probably OK as the handwashing agent against Corona Virus but I'm not sure, though...

har druckit för mycket
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

I had a Corona once, years ago. I did not think much of it, but their marketing department did a good job of convincing some it was good. I'd say the same is true of Heineken, I did not like it either.
I will say this, I did not get Corona virus from drinking Corona, nor did I get Heine virus from drinking Heineken.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

You can make your own hand sanitizer. Neutral plus Caprylyl Glycol and Glycerin mixed to 60% ABV. Caprylyl Glycol and Glycerinare easily obtainable.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/wha ... -sanitizer