Corona virus etc. and handwash.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Corona virus etc. and handwash.

Post by Truckinbutch »

BourbonStreet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:25 am I read an article about people trying to make their own sanitizer. They interviewed a doctor that said nobody has the correct equipment at home, and wouldn’t know how... 8)
Given the crowd here ; I call BULLSHIT !
Nothin we can't do here if we set our collective heads to it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Rotary District Conference for our area cancelled today.
Seems a sensible decision.

Geoff
The Baker
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

The Baker wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:28 pm Rotary District Conference for our area cancelled today.
Seems a sensible decision.

Geoff
Here in America, virtually every major professional sport has announced suspension of their seasons: NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL, ATP, PGA, and WSL. The NCAA has announced cancelation of all Div-1 sports and attended championships for the remainder of the year (March Madness!). Major concert outings, Disneyland and Universal resorts are closing. Many universities and colleges nationwide have closed their campuses and are delivering distance learning (online classrooms) instruction only.

Here in CA, by Governor's executive order any gathering of 250 or more individuals is prohibited.

I say go wash your hands, take inventory of your fermentables (and stock up accordingly) and raise a glass to those who have been affected by the virus and the unwavering spirit of overcoming and getting past this global setback.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

My plans are to stay on the farm as usual
After everything has settled down once again
I'll restock on toilet paper when the price drops. :wink:

Unless I'm one of the Old Farts that get's it and dies :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't think that there is any chance that it won't become endemic, so I think it's the timing of when we get it that is important to us old farts.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Hey "Fatherts", the virus hardly can bite your lungs if you:
1) go in for some physical training (like open air true-mashing etc.)
2) don't go too much in for antihypertensives
Don't worry, be healthy, we need y'all!
Last edited by VLAGAVULVIN on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

har druckit för mycket
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

So far no known cases in Alabama. People likely have it and think it's the flu or cold here.
Me, I'm going about my daily life as usual. I don't have interactions with humans often. I see them, and have to get near them once or twice a month. I'm still cycling, but ride by myself almost always.
As for supplies, I stay prepared because of hurricanes. The only thing I don't have stocked up is dog food. I usually buy the nine Shepherds food once a month, eight 50 pound bags. I'm going to the feed store today to get there food.
My protection. LOL One of my winter riding mask, and my polycarbonate faceshield I use when cutting trees and bodies up. :)
20200313_093239.jpg
20200313_093234.jpg
Last edited by Eire Whiskey on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:30 am2) don't go too much in for antihypertensives
I checked my pills today and they are on my list :D
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Lol that face shield EW! I need one for my lathe.

TB I am kicking myself for not having more fermentables, I should probably worry more about public health but right now I am starting to fret that when my continuous build is done I won’t be able to find flour or cornmeal to cook for my pilot run.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

pope wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:09 am2
Lol that face shield EW! I need one for my lathe.

TB I am kicking myself for not having m3ore w, I should probably worry more about public health but right now I am starting to fret that when my continuous build is done I won’t be able to find flour or cornmeal to cook for my pilot run.
Yep, I got the shield awhile back when I got tired of wood chips hitting me in the face.
Don't worry about cormeal, there will be plenty if you have chip. lol
Last edited by Eire Whiskey on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Haha I will be grinding my tortilla chips to make spicy and lime-flavored corn whiskey since that was all that was left.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

pope wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:42 am Haha I will be grinding my tortilla chips to make spicy and lime-flavored corn whiskey since that was all that was left.
Goto tractor supply
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Picking up todays mail made me wonder where the pockets of covid-19

with no known point of origin might have gotten started. :eh: :eh:
Last edited by cob on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I thought they said it was due to someone in China eating snake .
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:01 pm I thought they said it was due to someone in China eating snake .
Even nastier actually... bats... and cultural issues with proper hygiene e.g. Wet meat markets :sick:
Same source for SARS, MERS, etc etc. Not learning.

For your interest:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... onavirus1/

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by cob »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:01 pm I thought they said it was due to someone in China eating snake .
It was bats at a food court in china, but in the states there are

many cases that can't be traced back to any source. tonight's

news announced all states but one have confirmed cases.

researching states affected while expat was posting
be water my friend
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

It was called colloquially the Wuhan virus originally as they know for a fact that is where it started and most viruses are named for their point of origin but as the CCP has such a hold on the world health organisation, they were pressured into avoiding this name seen by the CCP as discriminatory or at least embarrassing. It is just part of the misdirection and bull shit and blame shifting by the CCP (as usual) that has allowed (once again) the virus to spread the way it has in such a short time frame. The blame shifting is pretty obvious where domestically on line the view that America infected China and the CCP has done a super hero job of protecting the world. Just to be sure, no credible, honest health organisation has any doubt as to where this illness started and seeing as how it traces back to the Wuhan wet markets they has a pretty good idea of the conditions that likely kicked things off. If you are reading anything that suggests different that type of media is called propaganda :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

WV is still virus free and the governor shut down schools and travel by gov funtionaries to help keep it so .
Hospitals are locked down .
We are just waiting for the other shoe to drop .
This 'crisis' is more political than we normally discuss on this site .
A manufactured crisis , I'm thinkin .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I don't know, cause I'm not in the States.
Over here, government has issued rules to prevent people gathering in large numbers to slow the spread of the virus.
Retirement homes (is that what you call them?) Are closed for visitors, since older people are the most vulnerable.
Bars and restaurants are closed, take away orders are allowed. All events are cancelled. Shops are closed on the weekend, except for stores that carry food or pet food.
Schools remain open, but classes are cancelled. Schools are used as babysitting places to avoid that grandparents get assigned baysit duty and are exposed to the virus.
Sensible, but I'd hate to be a bar owner right now...
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

250 Italians died from corona in 24 hours a couple of days back.....try telling thier family's and friends its not a crisis .
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Not saying it's not a crisis. Just not a manufactured one...
Of course it's a tragedy for those people. I don't wish for anybody to get the virus.
But the situation in Italy could have been handled better. A lot of infections here are from people who went skiing in Italy...
All we can do now is prevent peope from getting it, so that hospitals can handle the amount of patients...
seemorebutts
Novice

Post by seemorebutts »

its all very worrying. the death toll is going to be very large imo.
batten down the hatches and stay safe people
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

cob wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:25 pm
It was bats at a food court in china...
There is evidence that the virus actually escaped from China’s only Level 4 microbiology lab that is equipped to handle advanced viruses. The National Biosafety Laboratory which is part of the Wuhan Institute of Virology which is very close to the market that was blamed for the outbreak.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Any links to said evidence?

I've heard that conspiracy theory. But ain't seent no evidence yet.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I think it's been around for a long time, killing the elderly and folks with a compromised immune system
And only recently has there been a test to verify the COVID-19 virus exists.
I have several gallons of sanitizer that can also be drank
If the virus kills me, all my younger kinfolk will have the makings for one hell of a Irish wake. :lol:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:41 pm Any links to said evidence?

I've heard that conspiracy theory. But ain't seent no evidence yet.
It might help to actually look

Here is an article from the New York Post
https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy- ... rom-a-lab/

and here is one from the daily mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... atory.html

Washington times
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... -possible/

Medical Daily
https://www.medicaldaily.com/deadly-cor ... lab-449575

How many do you need before it's not a conspiracy theory? A simple google search will get you plenty of info on it. With a little researching skill you can get much deeper. Researchers in Chinese labs have been caught selling research animals to food vendors in the past so to me it's plausible. Of course you can believe anything you want, perhaps you prefer to believe the Chinese government? Take your pick there, first said it was a snake, then something else (I forget what, a fish or something) then a bat, then the market in general, then wild food and at some point a pangolin and I think the newest claim is the US military. In the long run it doesn't really matter where it came from, it's out of it's box and it's not going back in and now the entire world has to deal with it.
bubba
Bootlegger

Post by bubba »

70% ABV is the suggested strength .. screw a bunch of aloe gell

not bats .
this is only a test.heavy duty training exercise
observations :
apparent to all .. God Save the undeveloped world .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

bubba wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:28 pm 70% ABV is the suggested strength .. screw a bunch of aloe gell
Mine has Aloe gel, but it's still over 70% abv. One of the hand cleaner dispensers at the local medical centre today only had 61.5% abv, the other 70%. Neither were better than the DIY version I had in my pocket.

Today we gave away three dispensers to friends who haven't managed to buy any. All of them are in the high risk demographic. It will only take a day to make another batch if we have to make more.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

One of my wife’s besties is a lead nurse (28 years exp) at a local hospital. She ‘volunteered’ to run point overseeing all incoming COVID-19 patients. The first shift saw 3 individuals test positive, two of which were suffering only mild symptoms. The third was admitted to ICU immediately. She would not tell us their respective ages.

From her perspective, dealing with legit cases of dangerous and threatening conditions like meningitis and heart disease, the panic and hoarding is especially asinine.

Tonight my son and his girlfriend called from Costa Rica (at her sister’s wedding) saying they feared being quarantined and were all flying home early. It appears the virus has escalated across the country. I hope they get to come home.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

NZChris wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:38 pm
VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:30 am2) don't go too much in for antihypertensives
I checked my pills today and they are on my list :D
By no means reject them. Just co-ordinate it with your therapist.

har druckit för mycket