Corona virus etc. and handwash.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bubba
Bootlegger

Re: Corona virus etc. and handwash.

Post by bubba »

i am in the 10% death zone.. spouse is approaching the 14 % death zone ..
we are applying the Howard Hughes Germaphobic Model.

CDC states 60% ABV min. effectiveness increasing with %'s some studies indicate 70% is most effective , something to do with the isotopic levels or something ..

Bleach works good too .

and plain old handwashing ..
i use bleach products and alcohol products[no gel] for surface cleaning .
most important is to be mindful .. situationally aware .. avoid eye rubbing , nose touching , mouth contact .

a suggested training method is to mix up a special batch of hand sanitizer , 70% abv, gels + capsaicin [essence of hot pepper] .. get a high enough Scoville Level https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale
and one will soon learn not to face fondle .

i remember the Mustard Trials WW2
http://mustardgas.org/wp-content/upload ... 2-1945.pdf
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

:sick: so far as it turns out here sad & creepy,,, lemme off-top a li'l bit:

[utube][/utube]

har druckit för mycket
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

LOL that's hilarious :lol:

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Eire Whiskey »

I'm thinking if the Wuhanvirus is going to get foothold in my area, it better hurry. We are moving into summer and the Sun will kill it except in cool, dank places, i.e. bars, old folk homes, etc.
Time will tell.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Here, lemme just throw a wrench into the gears for fun.

https://inteldinarchronicles.blogspot.c ... l.html?m=1
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Doctors should get their stories straight.
My hand sanitizer is 62% ethyl alcohol.
I have heard the TV and newspaper doctors say not less than 60, 65, 70, and 75% alcohol.
What does not make sense to me is why make it. I would just get container, big enough to dip one hand or both in the alcohol I would put in it, and it would have enough alcohol to kill.
The other thing the girly boy's and women better do is get some hand lotion. With all the hand sanitizing they plan on doing their soft, weaselly skin is going to dry out and their hands won't look millennial. :)
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Hehe, they will look zoomy then :egeek:

har druckit för mycket
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Eire Whiskey wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:01 am Doctors should get their stories straight.
My hand sanitizer is 62% ethyl alcohol.
I have heard the TV and newspaper doctors say not less than 60, 65, 70, and 75% alcohol.
What does not make sense to me is why make it. I would just get container, big enough to dip one hand or both in the alcohol I would put in it, and it would have enough alcohol to kill.
The other thing the girly boy's and women better do is get some hand lotion. With all the hand sanitizing they plan on doing their soft, weaselly skin is going to dry out and their hands won't look millennial. :)
No matter how tough your skin, repeat exposure to high proof alcohol will dry it out, cause cracking and worse an open wound. Products with glycerol and > 60% ABV alcohol will do the job nicely, and don't smell funny.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by pope »

At while we're isolating at home we can touch our faces again.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

We're still in South America, still planning to fly back to Canada at end of the month. We looked into earlier flights but there were none.

If Canada gets more drastic with the border closure or our airline cancels flights, we might end up stuck here for a while but at least we are with family, have a place to live.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:25 pm We're still in South America, still planning to fly back to Canada at end of the month. We looked into earlier flights but there were none.

If Canada gets more drastic with the border closure or our airline cancels flights, we might end up stuck here for a while but at least we are with family, have a place to live.
if you are a citizen they cannot refuse you reentry. you may have to swim though cause airlines are still private companies and there is no rule that sez they gotta take you anywhere. guess you could hire a private charter...how much could that cost??

edit: found this for ya:
The Government of Canada is strongly advising that all Canadians return home.

If you are a Canadian abroad please register online at Global Affairs Canada at https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration

For emergency assistance please contact: sos@international.gc.ca
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

HDNB wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:06 pm guess you could hire a private charter...how much could that cost??
I hear the private charter companies are booked solid.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A nurse, who uses hand sanitizer a lot, used mine today and really liked it and liked how it dried off really quickly.

Personally, I've never liked lavender, but I used it anyway and I don't like the smell. I'm thinking I should try making a batch with something that smells less like the stinky blocks you find in urinals and more like gin or hops. Any suggestions?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Read about a distillery only yesterday who are making and selling hand sanitizer made from thier gin.
Think it was an English mob.....can't find it or a link to it again. It did say the gin used was straight off the still so abv should be up to the task.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My wife tells me that she ordered another twenty 50ml spray bottles in case more of our friends need hand sanitizer. They cost bugger all and spray very nicely.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

A local distillery near us is making hand sanitizer and giving it away to first responders and others: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5500843
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Yesterday my wife and I did our normal weekly shopping but because I needed a 32Gig mini SD card for the spy cam I bought to try to catch my gas thieves in the act we also had to stop at the super Wal-Mart :wtf: They had no eggs and very little meat. They were opening a pallet of toilet paper that was gone in seconds at 7AM :esurprised:

We went to the next store where we are regulars and they also were out of all paper products and eggs. My wife normally buys 10 dozen eggs every week to send to my work, she hard boils 5 dozen and the other 5 dozen are sent raw so people can make breakfast or whatever with them. The next stop was Safeway where they were out of paper products as well but were busy restocking the refrigerated section. It looked like they were also out of eggs but she asked someone about them and he went to the back and came out with a rack of 3 packages of 5 dozen. We were getting low on eggs at the house so she asked if we could take all 15 dozen. At checkout the checkout girl made us wait while she found a manager to make sure we were allowed to buy that many eggs :| Turns out we were but we would have been limited to only 2 gallons of bottled water which doesn't seem to be in short supply.

The next stop was Big Lots because we needed some more canned chili for out emergency preparedness kit and they are the only ones who carry Wolf Brand. It turned out they had plenty of Toilet Paper so we bought what we were allowed to, which was 2 packages each. I'm thinking of listing them on craigslist for a dollar a sheet...maybe two because it is 2-ply :lol:
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

I use my foreshots to wipe away germs. I figure it is higher than 60% alcohol.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:58 pmI'm thinking I should try making a batch with something that smells less like the stinky blocks you find in urinals and more like gin or hops. Any suggestions?
Punkin’ pie spices: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice, etc. The spices are masculine and inviting.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Dry Fly Distillery is creating a hand sanitizer and distributing it to the community for free!
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/ ... tizer-spr/
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:58 pm A nurse, who uses hand sanitizer a lot, used mine today and really liked it and liked how it dried off really quickly.

Personally, I've never liked lavender, but I used it anyway and I don't like the smell. I'm thinking I should try making a batch with something that smells less like the stinky blocks you find in urinals and more like gin or hops. Any suggestions?
vanilla or cinnamon or if you want something earthy, vetiver
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Vetiver sounds very interesting. I'd never heard of it before.

The only shop in town that might have had some didn't, but I'll be on the lookout for it now. We can order plants and could use them to stabilize a slip on the farm.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Listoke distillery in Ireland is using their i2000 to make hand sanitizer and they can't make enough of it. We have 2000 liter of feints at our distillery sitting at 57%. Thinking of redistilling some and creating a sanitizer out of it by adding 1% glycerine and selling it at cost price to help folks that are nervous about this in our city. It's that or I have to toss m out at some time.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Odin wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm Listoke distillery in Ireland is using their i2000 to make hand sanitizer and they can't make enough of it. We have 2000 liter of feints at our distillery sitting at 57%. Thinking of redistilling some and creating a sanitizer out of it by adding 1% glycerine and selling it at cost price to help folks that are nervous about this in our city. It's that or I have to toss m out at some time.

Odin.
good plan :thumbup:

are people hoarding things where your at like they are in the states?
be water my friend
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Odin wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm by adding 1% glycerine
Is it enuff for ehm,,, "softening" effect? :econfused:

har druckit för mycket
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I thought I had made enough hand sanitizer for my friends, but one of my friends works in a workshop run by other friends and they couldn't buy any and I couldn't say no, so now I'm cleaned out until more bottles arrive :roll:

I have some more high proof feints, but when that's gone I'll have to dip into my stash of high quality neutral to make any more. Hopefully, the supermarket will get some on the shelves before that happens.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Odin wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pmWe have 2000 liter of feints at our distillery sitting at 57%.
I ran all mine. It made nice hand sanitizer, plus I scored some fine neutral out of it.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

cob wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:41 pm
Odin wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm Listoke distillery in Ireland is using their i2000 to make hand sanitizer and they can't make enough of it. We have 2000 liter of feints at our distillery sitting at 57%. Thinking of redistilling some and creating a sanitizer out of it by adding 1% glycerine and selling it at cost price to help folks that are nervous about this in our city. It's that or I have to toss m out at some time.

Odin.
good plan :thumbup:

are people hoarding things where your at like they are in the states?
Hi Cob, yeah they are. I actually invested around 1k in unperishable food items like 5 weeks ago already myself. Should have thought about toilet paper, though! ;)

First 700 liters of iStill made hand-sanitizer is ready. We'll start distribution tomorrow. We are planning to create a sorta drive through system.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
bubba
Bootlegger

Post by bubba »

what excellent response from the distilling community ,
Agile Innovative Timely and Spot On Target
this string is Hand Sanitizer V the Alien Invader Virus so maybe this is OT .

masks . big shortage .. ..with the on hand material i procured for my distilling adventure [Christmas 19 like a bolt from the blue i started was it a divine vision ?] ] ..
fine weave cheesecloth and copper mesh / gauze . column packing .
it is well know and scientifically studied for many years [first study in mid 1800 copper v cholera 1852, physician Victor Burq] that copper is anti microbial /viral . i was reminded of that this morning by an article [cited below]

my intention for a field expedient reusable mask is to fold up copper mesh several times 5 inch x 5 inch, fold up in cheese cloth , , tie with strings in the corners , don with the points twards the ears covering nose and mouth . wear goggles. subsequent to use dip in 75% ABV to sanitize. it may not be N95 , tested, or effective bit it will sure keep the infected from spitting on the covered areas .
just a random thought from a mad man .i am in my 70's . in fear. last report said 80K recovered ,8K died .200K infected. i have been drinking lots of rum and covering my head in my bedsheets
i have rubbermasks on hand , 2 each i got to apply toxic auto paint and one N95 rubber reusable i wear while mowing the grounds.
ty
copper-destroys-viruses-and-bacteria-why-isnt-it-everywhere?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgqk ... ket-newtab
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Bubba, your a little older than me, but just stay calm. Having served in the military fo over 20 years I am programmed for staying calm. I am also prepared for most anything.
I don't want to criticize your mask made with copper, but you need nanoparticles, not mesh.
The best thing to do is stay away from people. Shelter in place if you can. If you need supplies, get someone to get them for you. This is what I will do for my elderly mother as she is prone to respiratory illnesses, she just got over one a month or so ago.
Please forgive me as well, if I am coming off cavalier.