Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by Odin »

Congrats!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Hey Odin,

Ran another batch and everyone is more than happy with it. I’m even having one or two G&T’s myself of an afternoon!!
Thanks again

Arch
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

You are welcome.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Beefer
Novice

Post by Beefer »

Looking forward to a first time run next week - but a quick question for those down under. Tangerines don't seem to be that common around here and so I wondered what citrus is closest to the original profile?
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Try a mix of mandarin and orange peel, that's how the fruit was originally developed.
OzBrew
Novice

Post by OzBrew »

Firstly, a big thanks to Odin. Thanks to this recipe I am being encouraged to pursue this hobby further 😁

Yeah. Have a tangerine challenge here too.
Made a batch with orange peel a week ago that had really mellowed out in just 7 days. Wife and I had a few tastes last night for “research purposes” so we can see how it evolves across the 5 week resting time.
Made a batch with mandarin peel and another with grapefruit peel yesterday so will be interested to compare all three in a month or so.

Oz
Wheelspin
Novice

Post by Wheelspin »

Odin your recipe called for the skin of 1 tangerine/ orange per L. Im doing a 18 L batch does that mean 18 oranges ?

Ive already put in 6.
humnsa
Novice

Post by humnsa »

Hello everyone, newbie here :)

I wanted to follow this recipie and I have tried using vodka as the base spirit as I just wanted to "fast track" a bit to the gin (sorry very impatient!). I noticed the taste is great, but there is an alcohol burn or bite that I don't taste in other gins, even after I watered it down to 40%. Is this because I used vodka as the neutral spirit? (I used Smirnoff Blue 50% ABV which says it is filtered 10 times!). What other things could be causing this? I made the small foreshots cut as suggested.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

humnsa wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:16 pm Hello everyone, newbie here :)

I wanted to follow this recipie and I have tried using vodka as the base spirit as I just wanted to "fast track" a bit to the gin (sorry very impatient!). I noticed the taste is great, but there is an alcohol burn or bite that I don't taste in other gins, even after I watered it down to 40%. Is this because I used vodka as the neutral spirit? (I used Smirnoff Blue 50% ABV which says it is filtered 10 times!). What other things could be causing this? I made the small foreshots cut as suggested.
Yes, sounds the base spirit wasn't very clean; most commercial stuff is crap you just don't realize it until you make something better. Also, I'm assuming that "fast track" also means you skipped the 5 week resting period?

Its Odin's Easy Gin, not Odin's Quick Gin. Things are worth doing right and waiting for.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by humnsa »

Thank you Expat! Yes it hasn't been 5 weeks yet, does the burn diminish after this period?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Might be the quality of your "neutral", but yeah 5 weeks weeks makes an important difference.
OEG is well tuned recipe.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by The Baker »

I made some spirit from mandarins (unusual ones from the neighbour, not much sweetness)
with just a little sweetened water to thin it a bit and get the yeast going.
Stripped about three years ago, just done the spirit run and put it in half-filled pint jars for evaluation.

It doesn't seem to have a citrus flavour (maybe very little) so I plan to try to make schnapps (that is like a liqueur without sugar, I think);
I will put some spirit in preserving ('canning') jars (tall, straight sides, four inch mouth), and put an orange in each.
Instead of suspending the orange I will stick one of those long wooden skewers in the bottom of it to prop it up.
And seal the tops of course.

See how it goes.
And it could be really good for gin?

Geoff
The Baker
Wheelspin
Novice

Post by Wheelspin »

Odin. Your recipe called for 1 tangerine per litre if spirit. Does thst mean with an 18 L batch I put in 18 tangerines ?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

It's perfectly scalable, Wheelspin.

Regards, Odin.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

You can make 18l of gin and start a tangerineade stand.
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

OzBrew wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:09 pm Firstly, a big thanks to Odin. Thanks to this recipe I am being encouraged to pursue this hobby further 😁

Yeah. Have a tangerine challenge here too.
Made a batch with orange peel a week ago that had really mellowed out in just 7 days. Wife and I had a few tastes last night for “research purposes” so we can see how it evolves across the 5 week resting time.
Made a batch with mandarin peel and another with grapefruit peel yesterday so will be interested to compare all three in a month or so.

Oz
I used mandarins instead for my first batch (but $6 for six small ones!). There was a hint in the background of the flavour which I initially thought I'd prefer if it wasn't there. But after a bottle or two I quite enjoyed it.

The second batch I swapped the citrus for a large orange and a lemon. Less citrus notes in that one. And the third was a couple of large grapefruit and a lemon. That's maturing at the moment. I cranked up the juniper about 10% on that one as well.

I've got the next batch fermenting right now (small 20L still, so I end up with about 5L each batch) Should receive some angelica root in the next day or so, so I think I'll go with the orange and lemon and throw in some angelica to see what difference that makes.

I read a couple of days ago about some distiller (in Portugal I think) that added parsnip for a more earthy flavour. I happened to have one in the veg basket so I cut one up and I've got it marinating in 300ml of version II for a week. Tip: keep your small tonic bottles - they're idea to use for experimemting with different flavours. I've got some fennel fronds and star anise macerating in some neutral 43% just for shit and giggles. And some 'spiced rum' on the go as well.

Tell you what...if I make nothing else but decent gin then I will be a happy man. As will my kids and their inlaws.
Bartosz
Novice

Post by Bartosz »

Odin, have you tried to weight the tangerine peels or whatever citrus you might be using? Skins from the whole tangerine seems like a lot when you compare it to the proposed ratio mentioned here: https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/guides/st ... botanicals (citrus = 0.01 of the juniper weight, which means the peel should weight 0.012g only!). Of course I understand that there's not a single, universal recipe, and everyone should follow their own taste path - just curious about your take on this.

I mixed the juniper to coriander in 2:1 ratio but will be reducing the coriander by 2g to get 12g/4g per l.

Can't wait until the weekend when I'll be starting the maceration!

B.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yeah, its a high tangerine load gin. Makes the recipe very acsessible. Remember nobody made or drank gin at the time it "came out". On the forum. I remember discussing doing it or not with RAD, the uber-forum-master-moderator of that time and he said he'd hate it and so would anybody else, but give it a go anyhow. This recipe also helps a lot in getting people to drink gin neat. You don't want to try that, as a first, with a London dry style. This is an easy recipe. Easy to make ... and easy to enjoy. And once you do, take yourself on a trip deeper into gin territory. But I see you already are moving in that direction ...

Odin.
Bartosz
Novice

Post by Bartosz »

Odin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 pm Yeah, its a high tangerine load gin. Makes the recipe very acsessible. Remember nobody made or drank gin at the time it "came out". On the forum. I remember discussing doing it or not with RAD, the uber-forum-master-moderator of that time and he said he'd hate it and so would anybody else, but give it a go anyhow. This recipe also helps a lot in getting people to drink gin neat. You don't want to try that, as a first, with a London dry style. This is an easy recipe. Easy to make ... and easy to enjoy. And once you do, take yourself on a trip deeper into gin territory. But I see you already are moving in that direction ...

Odin.
Thanks Odin, I appreciate your input. I wasn't meant to be rude by skipping the basics or question your ingredient ratio. I'm super curious and I always want to read couple of sources before I begin doing something. I fell in love with herbals once I discovered negroni and started to make bitters and feel like gin is the next thing to look at.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

First batch is now macerating for the next two weeks. Followed the recipe verbatim: 5L neutral @ 43%, 60 g juniper berries, 15 g coriander seeds & the peel of 5 mandarins. Thanks Odin!

Plus two weeks is just enough time to knock together a designated gin still so I don't have to try and clean the gin smell off my normal pot still.
OdinEasyGin.jpg
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Beefer
Novice

Post by Beefer »

2 batches at the two week resting mark now, thought I would do a side by side comparison of the 14 day and the 24hr versions to see what I like best. Citrus sharpness is mellowing nicely, but I probably needed to be more vigilant when scraping the pith from the mandarin skins - some bitterness is coming through. Lesson learnt for the next time.....and the next.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

I'm going to try the whole fruit, I see that is what Tanqueray do with their No 10 gin and I'm guessing that is what Four Pillars do also as they make marmalade from their left over fruit. I think that will mean no exposure at all to the pith.
Got a spice shop for my botanicals and am waiting on my juniper berries to arrive!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Odin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 pm Yeah, its a high tangerine load gin. Makes the recipe very acsessible.
MartinCash wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:29 pm Followed the recipe verbatim: 5L neutral @ 43%, 60 g juniper berries, 15 g coriander seeds & the peel of 5 mandarins. Thanks Odin!
Well, the gin is a week old now (I distilled it last weekend) and it is indeed very citrus-forward, which I expected from everyone's comments. I used 'Nova' mandarins (the only ones available at the time) which I later found out is actually a cross between a clementine and a tangelo: https://www.condorfresh.com.au/products ... darin.html

The mandarin character is very good in it, and complements the juniper. It's already excellent in G&Ts after a week. I'm curious to see whether the mandarin flavour mellows out and comes together with the juniper and coriander a bit more over the course of the next several weeks. SWMBO is asking about the next batch already, and I made 5 L! The finished gin is crystal clear, but will louche when diluted in a G&T. I can't bring myself to dilute it, though, the flavour is so intense!

Thanks again Odin!

MC
FizzRolyat
Novice

Post by FizzRolyat »

Planning on an OEG next batch of Kaffir Lime leaves, Kaffir Lime fruit peel, black peppercorns and cardamon. Using similar ratios to the OEG with 2x Cori seeds though.

Love this recipe and the possible variations of this Gin !
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

FizzRolyat wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 pm Planning on an OEG next batch of Kaffir Lime leaves, Kaffir Lime fruit peel, black peppercorns and cardamon. Using similar ratios to the OEG with 2x Cori seeds though.

Love this recipe and the possible variations of this Gin !
Well good luck. I love thai green curry, but it has never worked for me in a gin.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

SaltyStaves wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:52 am Well good luck. I love thai green curry, but it has never worked for me in a gin.
Yeah, I wouldn't call it Odin's Easy Gin... I don't see any of those ingredients in the list! It would be FizzRolyat's Slightly More Complicated Curry Gin :wink:
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Odin,
Did you see the video Jesse from Still It made with your recipe? I really enjoyed watching it think this willl be my Go To recipe for Gin from now on. We might need to talk about opening a distillery and naming the Gin "Odin's Gin"

Black Hearts
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I could be bribed into that!

Odin.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

You're a legend!
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..
Beefer
Novice

Post by Beefer »

Odin, Just finished variation number 5 (cumquat and lilli pilli) and as I'm running low on safe storage glassware - does diluting to 45%abv change how fast the flavours mellow, or will it rest just the same at the still strength? Apologies if it's been answered previously, had a look but couldn't find an answer.