Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Post by HDNB »

cayars wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:43 am
Durhommer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:52 am very violent ferments usually 3 to 4 days this is a great recipe/method
How much yeast are you adding for it to be violent?

Are you sticking with the traditional 1.5 grams per gallon or 7 gram packet of yeast per 5 gallon batch?
is that traditional? i use 1g/litre. This is one of my favourite recipes because it doesn't get so hot. (don't have to gel corn for an hour at 190*) it makes a wildly smooth single malt. and ferments out in 3 or 4 days
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

HDNB wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:04 am is that traditional? i use 1g/litre. This is one of my favourite recipes because it doesn't get so hot. (don't have to gel corn for an hour at 190*) it makes a wildly smooth single malt. and ferments out in 3 or 4 days
More or less it is. Most of the yeast packets you purchase that are good for 5 gallons batches is 7 grams. Always exceptions like Safale US-05 Ale that comes in 11.5 packets but is good for up to 30 liters, so still in the 7 grams per 5 gallon range. Bread and DADY (both probably the most popular) say right on the containers use 1 to 2 grams per gallon. I split the difference and call it 1.5 grams which closely matches their packet sizes.

5 Gallons is about 19 liters. So I'd use about 7.5 grams and you would use about 19 grams. The labels would say 5 to 10 grams. Surely 19 would not be considered too much but you only need half that much especially if you do a starter yeast.

Single Malts are my favorite whiskey as well. I like mine Scotch style.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

i do 30 gallon water so 1.5x30 dady 1pound bags out the fridge to the scale in the soup back to the fridge with the rest i add dap,gypsum,lime i have uso5 so gonna try that next go round its a b word for me to get all my hot water with a 30 qt pot and a 23 qt i dont even use my boiler to heat water wanna prolong the element life ya know
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

I hit a milestone today. Over a year ago I started my AG journey with this recipe. Unfortunately, life got in the way and my progress was stalled. But, today I made the cuts on the last gallon I needed to fill my new 5 gal Gibbs barrel/ I wasn’t sure I’d ever get there. I’m also not exactly sure what single malt on charred new oak will yield, but, am excited to find out. :thumbup:

Thsanks again Jimbo for making this recipe and making AG less mystifying.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

my maris otter ag is in a gibbs 5gal i put 4.5 in it. today i checked it it has 4 gallon and a nice dark gold color still isnt tasting where i want and proof rose abit so i put a quart water to it and re plugged it
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

I am noticing the more batches I run, and as I get a feel for heads and tails my ABV before watering down for aging is dropping. I just put a run on oak today and found I was at 65% after mixing- not much above my 62% I use for aging. I wonder if the 62% that a lot of single malts are aged at is just where it ends up after the spirit run? Today I went quite a few jars into the tails because they had some really rich flavor even though somewhat cloudy and a bit wet cardboardy- down as low as 45% abv! After mixing in a few small cloudy jars the main batch of course was still crystal clear and tasted very good. I used to evaluate each jar of heads and tails as if the entire batch would taste that way, but once I started putting it into the full batch and tasting that I am using a lot more of the heads and tails!

What are you all ending up at before watering down for aging?
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Durho, how long has your Ag been in the barrel and what us the ambient temp range during aging?

SUNY,
I seem to remember a thread that discussed the science behind aging proof and how it affects flavors. That said, historically you may be correct.
I’m running this on a simple pot still. My low wines are typically around 35%. Spirit run starts about 80% and I collect down to 25 % or so. My cuts blend out in the mid to high 60’s. your results seem to mirror mine.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

A lot of it is also economics of scale. You need less 25% less barrels to store 62.5% than 50% for instance.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

ag been in since october i keep it in the gaRAGE i have a electtric hearter on keeping it 80 degrees for 12 hours a day then off to let it temp drop no insulation in the garage so its the best spot for a barrlel my gallon jugs in the attic are more at a natural temp swing
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks Durho. By summer it will be really hot where I live and my concern
Is over oaking in a small barrel with high temps. Would you please keep us posted on how your flavor develops?
Thanks
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

yep i hear it gets hot in texas too and they age stuff there im kinda thinking smaller barrel smaller time summers here are usually hot so anxious to see what happens to it.ive been cleaning up my stuff getting ready to move it and getting rid of grainsat the sasme time...i have a pot luck bastard of a deal happening sort of right now got 2 gallon corn chops (to grist)low wines sitting a gallon maris otter/ rye(both malted and to grist)low wines and at the moment my boys think im cooking dogfood(wtf) #6 gp malt #4heavy peat malt timer for the 90 rest is going off
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

ok its on 4 gallon(fifth gallon reserved in seperate pot for sparge rinse) i checked it its converted sticky as all get out just for shits i added some liguid amygl and set another hour timer after a good paddle mixing.in about a week ill run this and do a spirit with all previously stated lows about a gallon backset(little of the booners little of the rye mo and some of the gp peat)with a quart of each original fermented mash...make sense? then once spirit ran aired/cut to cask ill cork it in a gallon ballon with some jd chips(used) and a sherry stave
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

SO... the#6golden promise #4heavy peat malt with 5 gallon water gave up 17.5liters @ 1071...@.990 thats 10.63% @1000 its9.32% small batch i dont have to pull out set up wort chiller so just put the 8 gallon fermenter out in this nice missouri weather to drop it to pitch temp this must be what laphroig or others of the sort mash houses smell like
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Durho, that sounds awesome!

Now I have to apologize for leading this thread astray. Time to go back to Jimbo’s awesome AG Single Malt T&T recipe. :thumbup:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

i dont have grains to take us back on track someone care to do a batch and talk about it......cayars....erie whiskey
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

Trub or no trub?
When I first started making this recipe in 5 or 10 gallon buckets I would ferment on grain, squeeze out the grain through a net bag, then let it set a couple days to clear. Before stripping, I would siphon off the good stuff and leave the trub in the bucket. I felt like I was wasting a lot of good beer!

When I switched from stove-top distilling, to a 5500w ulwd heating element in a keg the runs were much bigger. So my process became scooping out enough clean beer off the top for my first stripping run, and while that is running I filter out the rest of the beer/grains (mop strainer!) and for my next two batches just run those without settling out the trub. Doesn't seem to make a difference in taste to me, and I get more out of each batch. I heat up the batches with the full 5500w and don't get any scorching on the SS element.

Anybody else doing same or do you all mostly rack off the beer and leave behind the trub? Anybody notice a difference in taste?
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

If you aren't getting scorching you are fine. It's just a matter of taste/time on your end as to how you want to run it.
Some people like the taste of "dirty" runs while others like a "clean" run. Just a matter of preference on your part.

I like to run anything like a bourbon recipe fermented on grain by loading my thumper with the gunk and the clearer stuff in the boiler. That works for me and beats trying to squeeze out grains. I'm all about doing it the "easy way" when possible if it give me good results.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

StuNY wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:13 pm Trub or no trub?
When I first started making this recipe in 5 or 10 gallon buckets I would ferment on grain, squeeze out the grain through a net bag, then let it set a couple days to clear. Before stripping, I would siphon off the good stuff and leave the trub in the bucket. I felt like I was wasting a lot of good beer!

When I switched from stove-top distilling, to a 5500w ulwd heating element in a keg the runs were much bigger. So my process became scooping out enough clean beer off the top for my first stripping run, and while that is running I filter out the rest of the beer/grains (mop strainer!) and for my next two batches just run those without settling out the trub. Doesn't seem to make a difference in taste to me, and I get more out of each batch. I heat up the batches with the full 5500w and don't get any scorching on the SS element.

Anybody else doing same or do you all mostly rack off the beer and leave behind the trub? Anybody notice a difference in taste?
Stainless steel element? That's my scorching problem.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

Yes, stainless steel element. Got this one- easy to pop out and check from time to time!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K ... UTF8&psc=1
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I’m giving this a go! I just put in an order for 20 lbs distillers malt, 20 lbs pale malt (Lamonta from Mecca Grade Estate Malt) and 3 lbs of Spring Rye (Rimrock, also from Mecca Grade). We’ll see where that takes me. I’m excited to dive into all grain, seems like a malt whiskey is the most simple approach.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Mashed in small percentages, rye will not give you the viscosity problems that higher (~30%) percentages can, but you'll want to mill it as fine as you can (I do fine meal/flour). The Mecca Grade website says the Rimrock rye is broken into 'at least three pieces' only.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 am Mashed in small percentages, rye will not give you the viscosity problems that higher (~30%) percentages can, but you'll want to mill it as fine as you can (I do fine meal/flour). The Mecca Grade website says the Rimrock rye is broken into 'at least three pieces' only.
:thumbup: I got it milled up, just looking to spice it up a bit. I’m really questioning that 40 pounds Of grain and 20 gallons of water are going to fit into the Brute can...
Last edited by The Booze Pipe on Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

How big is your brute can? My 32 gal ones hold batches that are about 20% bigger than what you are making.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

StuNY wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:56 am How big is your brute can? My 32 gal ones hold batches that are about 20% bigger than what you are making.
Ya it’s the 32 gallon. I trust it fits. It’s just a visual thing I guess. I am surprised they will hold that much and more
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recip

Post by GCB3 »

The Booze Pipe wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:51 am I’m really questioning that 40 pounds Of grain and 20 gallons of water are going to fit into the Brute can...
Hey Booze Pipe. This is a great recipe and makes a wonderful drop. I am still a rookie at all grains, but it has always been my understanding that for a 2 pound per gallon mash, you would mash 40 pounds of grain and make up to a total volume of 20 gallons. If I am wrong about that I would really appreciate being corrected.
Take care and good luck.
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

No, 2lb per gallon means using an actual gallon of water per 2lbs grains. In the example above you will end up with more than 20 gallons in the pail w grains included. At best you will end up with 19 gallons of liquid after removing all the wet grains though.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

a little update: I let the mash go over night because it seemed to be working slowly, ph last night was 5.8, temp 130f, this morning temp 110f ph 4.1 and very sour. No OG yet (it’s too thick to get any liquid).
This is my first all grain malt mash, kind of a test batch if you will. Now I know to adjust ph next time. I dropped in a bit of backset and I will toss in some cool water to get to pitch temp.
This is 43 pounds malts, and approximately 20 gallons water (@160F) + a little cold water. I think next time I would heat up 16 gallons (include the backset or gypsum) and top off at end of day with cold water. Which is the original recipe duh :shifty: but hey, whose counting anyway :wink:

I pitched yeast and it’s several hours later and now it’s raging, with a fat cap!
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

The Booze Pipe wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:08 am a little update: I let the mash go over night because it seemed to be working slowly, ph last night was 5.8, temp 130f, this morning temp 110f ph 4.1 and very sour. No OG yet (it’s too thick to get any liquid).
This is my first all grain malt mash, kind of a test batch if you will. Now I know to adjust ph next time. I dropped in a bit of backset and I will toss in some cool water to get to pitch temp.
This is 43 pounds malts, and approximately 20 gallons water (@160F) + a little cold water. I think next time I would heat up 16 gallons (include the backset or gypsum) and top off at end of day with cold water. Which is the original recipe duh :shifty: but hey, whose counting anyway :wink:

I pitched yeast and it’s several hours later and now it’s raging, with a fat cap!
This really did not turn out how I expected. I’m very disappointed actually. I had a LactoBacto take over the mash and turned it very sour. After stripping, it didn’t help, came out the other end just as bad.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Age it.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Age cures MOST all give it 18 months then have a taste I have some rads all bran I double pot stilled instead of refluxing(like a dumbass) thinking it would be a good whiskey....sugar bite from hell at 3 months so next tasting of those oaked 3 gallons will be 02-20-21 in Hope that the woodwork (barrel Gibbs heavy char) will do the goodwork