Just stopped by to say hey

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Just stopped by to say hey

Post by goinbroke2 »

Hey all, figure I better check in once a year or so, so you know I'm not dead...lol.

Officially stopped the micro-distillery plans, I'm making lots for personal consumption but have become really cynical on marketing in general and out and out lying by a lot of local micro's (including wineries and brew shops)

I normally make about 14-18 gallons to last the year, do it in March (not sure why, it just worked out that way) One big week or two long run and put everything away for the rest of the year. It's more of a "something that needs to get done" than a hobby now. I used to enjoy it but now it's just making likker to restock the shelves.

Anybody who remembers me knows how big I am into Drag Racing, well, the ol lady was whining because I was always gone to the track. (was VERY active last year, did a lot of travelling with the motorhome) So, she asked if we could do something together, I had visions of interpretive dance or flower arrangement and was about to say no when she said "can we get an mud truck and go off roading like your cousins"?

So...bought a 91 ranger, welded the diffs, put 35" mud tires on it, went out and after diving off a 12ft cliff, broke the frame. (wife hurt her hand and knee, I was fine) Welded in a new frame and shortened the truck to fit better in the motorhome. Was ripping with it last Dec and rolled it into a ditch. (I cracked two ribs and wife got a bad knock in the head) Said she wouldn't go back in it until I put in a roll bar. Me being me..couldn't just build a roll bar, I built an exoskeleton (external rollcage) was jumping moguls with it and broke both rear leaves and spit out the driveshaft. Custom built a trailing arm suspension for the rear with 9" of travel and was ripping around and broke the front axle.
I've been keeping a running "story line" on "The ranger station" here;
https://www.therangerstation.com/forums ... ld.183496/

I see a lot of talk about the corona virus everywhere, I think its awesome, I haven't had so much time to play with projects in my life!!
Built a new 16x4 deck to the hot tub, did some gyp rocking, started on the pontoon boat project, made another 13 gallons of likker, cut down a bunch of trees on my property, numerous small jobs with the racecar, the kids racecar, the motor home... just flat out!

Supposed to retire from the army 10 June after 35 years but that's been delayed because of corona, nobody to turn kit in to lol!
Anyways, I'll probably be around for a bit as I'm at work this week. (acting Sargeant Major)

I'll have to do a bunch of reading to get caught up on everything, time to hit the liars bench!

Oh, and a picture, just because;
donkey 72.jpg
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
ViceGripson
Novice

Re: Just stopped by to say hey

Post by ViceGripson »

Sounds like a bunch of good opportunity to refine a mash or try something weird like cultivating a wild yeast strain!
Happy distilling!
In modern times, it's like Jesus brought a keg into the wedding on his shoulder and said "let's keep the party going"
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well that would be project 739 right after building a grain spinner out of a dryer. Or is it finishing my 4" column....actually I still have to test run my 114 L keg I built and don't have wired yet...sigh. Retirement is going to very busy!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Jebus on a cracker, you seem to have a knack for breaking things, I feel like a pussy now for not totalling the car ever.

I do hear ya on the making likker is more a chore than a hobby though, I'm not set up to run 18g over a week but may take a leaf out of your book and do a few big weeks a year.

Good to see you about again
Don't be a dick
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks SP, see, the way I look at it, I should of been a doctor or someone who makes a ton of money. Then I could buy the best of whatever and have someone else do the crappy stuff. I'll spend 4 hr's designing and fabricating a part only to find you can buy it at a parts place for $5.00....not real smart that way. I can say "built not bought" all right, but it leads to too many projects because I have to do it all myself.

Here's a fun picture, angle grinder with a brand new 80 grit flapper wheel slipped and took a bunch of meat from my left finger. (which now matches the right one which I did about 4 years ago)
donkey 74.jpg
donkey 75.jpg
Last edited by goinbroke2 on Thu May 14, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

donkey 87.jpg
Of course after 3-4 weeks it's finally closing up (should of got stitches)

But can't leave everything good right? Last night pulling the front diff out I pushed instead of pulled on the powerbar (I knew it would happen too...ooh, don't slip, don't slip, this is gonna....WHACK! AAAHHH!!)
Wacked the nail and split it and it even bled a bit before turning black...
donkey 86.jpg
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Once the diff is back in, next is the motorhome/car hauler. (hopefully there will be a race season this year)

bus 1.jpg
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Good to see ya .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hey GB2,
Glad you're not dead.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Reports of my death have been exaggerated. Thanks for the concern lwtcs, tater and all. Too much to do and too little time.

I put on a 121L batch of sugar wash and it was done tonight so I loaded the 100L still and overflowed! I figured the grain would soak up a bunch and I didn't suck it dry with the syphon but after a bunch of buckets...sploosh!

Whatever, tomorrow morning I'll drain a few litres of sediment and fire it up.

Tried to post pictures but it can't recognize the IP address???
I'll try again later,wife wants popcorn.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

LWTCS wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:43 pm Hey GB2,
Glad you're not dead.
By the look of some of the injury photos he working on it. :shock:
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Man, you're my hero. I'm just starting to pick up some man skills. Worked in the oilfield for a few years so I learned some cool stuff out there but none of the welding/fabricating stuff you're doing, very cool!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Henry Ford said "if you think you can or if you think you can't, you're right" and I believe it.

Might not be "professional" level but I can do anything.(one benefit of being old and growing up on a farm)

Ran the sugar wash...wow talk about slow! I knew it would be about two hours of heat up since I'm doubling my usual size, but, two hours of running makes four hours. Then take the 20l of low wine and dump it back in...four more hours and I was done at 5pm or so. However, end result is about 18l of 73% neutral.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

On another subject (or project 316) I have a 2 stroke outboard that works fine, but I hate the blubbering, stuttering farting of a 2 stroke. So, I found a mower in the dump and got the engine going and am mounting it on the outboard drive.
So, instead of a 1967 3 1/2 hp outboard, I'll have a 2000 or so 6 1/2hp 4 stroke.

Maybe I'll post the pictures on the ranger forum, lol.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Did something similar to my hand with a die grinder and a flat-topped carbide burr, split the meaty bit of my hand up nice right between the thumb and index. Between that and your break-neck projecting pace I think we've got a few things in common (oh and the booze thing).
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Good to hear from you . Pics of my hands look like topo maps . Still have all 10 digits by some miracle .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

LOL! I hear ya TB, yeah my hands, both shoulders, on and on, lol.

Since I couldn't post pictures here (childproof??) anyway, I was over on the ranger forum and since its so easy to post pic's there, I gave a shout out to homedistiller and posted pic's of the 114L still and gave them enough to start asking questions. Perhaps a bunch of newby's for here?? lol.

Oh yeah, and I bought a 14' boat yesterday....freaking impulse buying.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

pope wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:39 pm Did something similar to my hand with a die grinder and a flat-topped carbide burr, split the meaty bit of my hand up nice right between the thumb and index. Between that and your break-neck projecting pace I think we've got a few things in common (oh and the booze thing).
Now THAT would be annoying! That web is always moving so it would be a bugger to heal. Burrs take meat away in a hurry too, don't they? LOL!
I've always wore face shield to protect my eyes, if there is one thing I'm super paranoid about is my vision. Lose an arm or leg I can still drag race, lose my eyes? I'm done, put a bullet in me. Won't live blind, period. Maybe that's why the appendiges always take a beating? lol.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Didn't totally cut the web but it was a deep slice. That was my first burr injury, I always hope for one lesson learned per tool max (ideally less). Those rounded bits roll off your hand if they skip off the project, and lull you into a false sense of security. I've gotten pretty damn good at safety glasses and ear protection over the years, still not great at grabbing the mask for my lungs but improving. I ought to get a face shield for some work though (besides welding, got that already). Took a piece of wood to the face off kickback from a table saw years ago, broke my nose but an inch either way I'd have lost an eye. That was the end of any lax attitudes in the shop.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I noticed when I was building the exoskeleton that at the end of the day my chest would feel tight and it was hard to take a deep breath. Grinding expecially seems to fill the nose with black. Pain in the ass to wear a faceshield for the sparks, ear defenders for the noise and wear a mask for the dust, leather welding jacket and cloves for the sparks...sheesh...and it's hot as heck to boot!

But, I noticed after grinding/welding all day with a mask I can breath after so, there is that. Lol!

Wife decided she wants a screened in place for the swing so I'm building a 8x5 deck that joins the back deck of the house with the deck for the hot tub.
I think I'll move the bbq to the new deck and put the swing on the back deck of the house. I ran out of 1x6's so I moved on to the garage and changed the oil in the 4 wheelers and added LED lights to both of them. Man I LOVE LED lights!!

Got the new aluminum boat I bought painted but its this special plastic/marine/whatever paint and after 3 days it's still tacky is some places. Taking forever. Just have to finish the outboard. I'm at work right now so I'll be doing that as soon as I'm done. (had to come in to do covid 19 course/test)

Speaking of likker...went to run the batch Saturday and it wasn't done fermenting. I'll leave it until Fri-Sat this week and test again and then run it. I either have to do smaller batches (121L right now) or build a bigger still as I can only load about 100L or so in the 113L still I built. See, this is how it starts, too much mash...need a bigger still...overshot the size and now the still is too big....need bigger fermenter....overshot fermenter size, need a bigger still...on and on, lol!!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

goinbroke2 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:00 amSpeaking of likker....I either have to do smaller batches (121L right now) or build a bigger still as I can only load about 100L or so in the 114L still I built.

See, this is how it starts, too much mash...need a bigger still...overshot the size and now the still is too big....need bigger fermenter....overshot fermenter size, need a bigger still...on and on, lol!!
It sounds like 1-1/2 runs are optimum for you:
..1st) strip 2/3 of your wash, then
..2nd) add the collected low wines to the remaining 1/3 of the wash and run it.

It’s a great way to get cask strength product to put on wood.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Huh, never thought of doing that...good idea!

I'll try that next run, thanks.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Got to work today and asked "did my memo to extend my release date come back from the CO yet"?

Blank stares

"I'm out the 10th of June otherwise huh? That's next Wednesday"...…

Suddenly the 2 I/C was freaking out and on the phone, lol.
Apparently it's on the Wing Commanders desk and I should have it back by tomorrow. That's fine, I'm in until 30 July now. However, the last month I'm moved to the release section to start clearing out, returning kit, etc.

"So...I've got 2-3 weeks before I'm out of here huh, do you have a replacement safety officer"?

Blank stares

Been in 35 years 1 month and 15 days and the oversite never ceases to amaze me. Some of the classics, "Sir, YOU were in charge of ammo, no I did not have it loaded, so it's still back at camp", "Sir, your map is not oriented to the north it's facing east, here's the correct bearing" "You just gave me 7 separate taskings and I currently have 5 guys, two I put to ground because they haven't stopped for 30hr's straight. So, prioritize what you want accomplished with 3 guys and we'll get on with it...Sir"

Nope, won't miss this shitshow at all. Be getting up when I want, stilling, dragracing and playing in the mud with the truck, kinda like the last 3 months because of covid! LOL!!!!
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Well congratulations then!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks Pope, it's getting closer....

looks like now I might be getting out as a medical release after the doc seen me for my part 2 medical. Said I should talk to mental health. They sent me to a private headshrinker who deals with ptsd. Clinic says I've got a lot of "baggage" from my tours over sea's and stuff I've done/been involved with. Apparently calling a buddy (Sgt Mike Ralph, first Canadian killed in Yugoslavia in '92) a "bag of goo" because he was hit with an IED and had no solid bones when I pulled him out of the truck, was a eye opener for them. Just the way I talk, but it appears that's "not normal". Whatever. They asked "you have HOW MANY tours and have spent HOW MUCH TIME oversea's!!!??" Anyway, this part of my life will close and another will open. Can't wait!
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Geeze GB. You da man. I’m grateful for men like you. Thanks
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hambone wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:47 pm Geeze GB. You da man. I’m grateful for men like you. Thanks
Me too.

Geoff
The Baker
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Just feels like what I'm supposed to do though.
My oldest (22) is home from base Borden where he's learning to be an Air Force chopper tech. Covid meant all the schools closed and he got RTM'd. (Return to mama, lol) He joined the airforce, not as good as the army (obviously) but a good fit for him. My youngest (18) is in the reserves as a trucker and both seem to have my drive so I think the military will be good for them.

I've been on the "sugar" threads and am now looking to make a third batch just to test some theories. Picked up some citric acid and some calcium carbonate to see if I can fix my ph crash when doing the 120L batches.

oh, and putting a 6 1/2hp motor on a 3hp outboard drive might of been a mistake. Had it on the lake for a test run and up to 1/2 throttle it danced across the water. Had about 1ft waves at the time heading into the wind. Decided full throttle was the next logical test and cracked it open.
Let me tell you...that much hp in a plastic two man canoe..is FAST!! The nose came up and it started skipping across the waves, I leaned forward to get the nose down as it was skipping quite high. After a dozen or more good smacks on the waves, the love joy coupling exploded and the motor went well beyond what it should have. The real problem is when you're leaning so far forward, bouncing across the wave when you lose all propulsion. The nose dropped instantly, driving into a wave and stopping the boat cold. I flew forward into the front of the canoe driving my forehead into the seat and then the wave splashed down on me. Motor screaming with no load, I scramble back and shut it down. Somehow I kicked the paddle out and it's just beyond reach. Wind is blowing but I can still hear the laughter from shore...bastards...
So now the motor is back upstairs in the garage waiting it's turn in the "repairs required" line.

Holy poo, it's 2:23 am, better skidaddle off to bed before mama wakes up and sees I'm not within kicking distance.
Later
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

You're my hero GB2. Sounds like there's never a dull moment around you lol. Congrats on your retirement. If I would've stuck around (91B, medic) I would've been eligible for retirement last November 1
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

LOL! Thanks.

Just sitting here as Camp Duty Officer wondering why, with 3 weekends left in the army the bastards threw me on a Saturday duty...real kick in the nuts on the way out the door.
I think it was personal as the Major is all pissy I said I wouldn't stay on until Sept and the training trimester is done. I'll do a handover to the incoming guy but I'm outa here.

The good news (or sad, depending on how you look at it) I'll be making more from my pension than I was making while serving!
I get 2% of my salary per year as a pension. I did 35 years and will get 70% of my current pay (the max)
So. I'm talking to the pension centre in Ottawa and she gave me the number that I'll get each month for a pension....hmm...that looks familiar.
I check out my pay statement from Feb 2020 (before my 35th was complete) and the number is QUITE a bit lower.
I check out a pay statement from May (after my 35 years ended 15 April) and it's $359 higher than the previous one because I'm no longer paying into the pension fund.
I look at the number she gave me once I'm retired and am not paying mess dues and a bunch of other crap and it's $98 higher again...…

So, my PENSION (take home or net) will be $457 PER MONTH higher than my take home or net income for the last 10 years or so as a Warrant Officer!
I normally had a net income of around 49-51% of my gross. My pension is 70% of my gross and I don't have all the deductions I had while serving.

Add to that, 1 kid heads back to Borden to continue his course in chopper repair and my youngest is going to boot camp in a few weeks. Me an mama will be empty nesters with more income coming in!! (I see a new engine for the race car coming, lol)

Crap, got to go to the mess hall to ensure the world isn't coming apart and everyone is in dress code... and I could be working on something right now instead of this crap...