HF wood chipper into apple scratter

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

HF wood chipper into apple scratter

Post by Tummydoc »

I've used the Harbor Freight electric chipper shredder for 4 years as an apple scratter. Works great, but I get tired of quartering large apples so today I modified it to take whole apples. Here's the journey:
handle still on.jpeg
I removed the upper handle years ago to allow quartered apples.
handle removed.jpg
2 parts prevent whole apples. FIrst is the cast metal blade guard.
guard intact.jpeg
Remove the metal guard.
guard (2).jpg
I then cut a piece of sheet metal the width of the guard, bent a 1/4 inch lip on the bottom and drilled holes so that the new guard can be placed into the two lowest holes that held the old guard. This new guard just prevents the cut apple from falling through.
Its about 1.5-2inches tall and comes up just under the top grey plastic housing that the chute attaches to. I found it was necessary to remove the chute from the grey base to do the next step anyway, there are 6 screws that hold it in place. The base section of the hinged grey chute has an area with 3 screw holes that protrudes and I had to cut 2 slots into the new sheet metal guard the width of that area and then bend the middle area of the new gaurd forward so that the base would not hit that when closing the chute.
new guard 1.jpg
Lastly we have to modify the plastic chute by removing the back wall. I forget to take a picture prior to cutting. I drew in the green area of the chute that I cut away, I used a pneumatic hacksaw and a chisel to perform these cuts.
chute colored.jpg
Looks like Ive exceeded the size of one post so more to follow
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: HF wood chipper into apple scratter

Post by Tummydoc »

Here are the cut lines. If you look at the inside of the cute, you'll see to small fins that extend from the side of the housing to the back of the chute, and I used these as my cut guides.
chute fin guide_LI.jpg
Here the view from the top with the chute
cut guard 1.jpg
the cut lines outlined in green
cut guard 1_LI.jpg
and the view from below.
under cut guard.jpg
It will now allow objects the size of my closed fist to fit through the chute. I'll have to round up some apples to test it and will let you know, but I'm sure this will work and save me having to cut apples this fall!
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I did cut through the attachment of the lateral connecting fin to the front wall of the chute in a few areas, but was able to plastic weld those areas with a soldering iron. Its a common technique for car bumper cover repair if you haven't done it before, check U tube.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Tummy, thanks a ton for taking the time to post a detailed write up. I will be undertaking the same operation very soon so your experience is much appreciated.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Nice build Tummy. Thanks for sharing.

Be careful with that unmuzzled beast.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I've gotten so much knowledge from this site, and help from other build posts (forever grateful to Dad300 for the CCVM threads). Wanted to pay back that debt. If this helps that's awesome. Funny, I couldn't wait to share this breakthrough with the forum.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Nice work Tummydoc :thumbup: This is going to help a lot of people.

When I need out of season test apples I go to my local Hispanic grocery store, they tend to have the cheapest prices on apples and right about now they should be trying to get rid of them in preparation for the new season.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Here's a better view of the new blade guard.
sheet metal guard.jpg
Sheet metal guard 2.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm pleased to see someone here has gotten around to trying this, Tummydoc.

I watched a UK documentary about a Cider Cooperative/Club that used a similar chipper for a scratter many years ago and was very impressed with their operation.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Found my green handle top, modified that and attached. In cutting the top, you want to preserve the two screw holes towards the back for attachment, but you will cut off the screw retainers on the front. ( You also want to preserve the back wall of the inlet chute) I just drilled a small hole in the front that goes through the green base and then through the raised lip on the grey receiver chute, and placed a screw there.
20200608_114420_resized.jpg
20200608_115456_resized.jpg
20200608_121344_resized.jpg
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I started modifying my chipper this week. Always fun to open the box and immediately void the warranty and defeat safety features! :lol: Naturally, they have changed the design and it doesn't make it any easier to modify. They also added some tamper screws that I had to make a screwdriver bit to remove.
20200607_121131_resized.jpg
20200607_122943_resized.jpg
20200607_121821_resized.jpg