sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by BoomTown »

Sailman wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:15 pm I was just wondering if the grain may have added some fermentable sugars over the course of the ferment.
More likely, your ambiant temp may be a bit low for your yeast’s comfort zone. Red Star and DADY are comfortablr at between 75 and 90 F, You used enough malted barlu to convert all the carbo if you added that at the right temp...
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

130 pages it's a lot to go through and this may be mentioned in the thread but I was just wondering when I rack this off into the still do I just go down to the grain bed? Or do I get everything in the fermenter? My gut feeling is just down to the grain bed but just I wanted to check
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Either way. I went down to the grain bed except for the last run when I went for it all.
JC973
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JC973 »

I’m really liking this recipe, admitted its the only shine recipe that I have finished and have aged / oaked a bit, but I’m on generation 4 and have had zero issues so far. I credit that to Kentucky Shiner’s T&T recipe and the information on this board.

Again thanks to all
If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I just finished the stripping on gen 1 I went down to 10% by volume. It came out to be a little over 2 and 1/2 gallons. I think I'm going to do for strips and then a spirit. I do have one more question the grain bed it doesn't appear to have any Grey grain, spent grain so how much would I need to remove and replace? I was thinking half an inch to an inch, anyway I'm just waiting on the back set to cool
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

None of mine turned grey either. So i just added grain through 4 generations.
JC973
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JC973 »

Same here, no change in color, but the grain did look a little “worn” after gen 3 so I scooped out an 1” or less and put the new in the hot back set with the sugar.

Man the chickens loved that spent grain though
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

After I started taking the top layer off I did notice a slight change in color but it wasn't as drastic as I thought it would be. The color of the mash on the 2nd gen didn't appear to be as dark as the first generation. Maybe it will darken up during fermentation.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Last Saturday I did a stripping run on the 1st Gen of sweet feed and I only took 200 mL of foreshots before I started collecting enlarger jars. It was about 11 gallons of mash at 1.064 and I collected over 2 and 1/2 gallons of low wines down to 10%. Should I have collected more foreshots? I did it this way because I knew I wouldn't be taking some more when I got enough run off to do a Spirit Run.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Naw, 200mL from 11g of wash is fine. You aren't going to use the first bit of the spirit run anyway.

I gotta say, mine is getting better after a few months on oak. I like it at cask strength over ice.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

stillanoob wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:57 pm Naw, 200mL from 11g of wash is fine. You aren't going to use the first bit of the spirit run anyway.

I gotta say, mine is getting better after a few months on oak. I like it at cask strength over ice.
this is all I can find as far as Oak chips I was thinking of doing a half-and-half mix. One is a dark heavy toast in the other is plain. I may even take some of the plain chips and put them in the oven and do a medium toast, that's what I wanted but couldn't find them. My plan is to do four stripping runs and one Spirit Run so that should give me enough Spirit to be able to try different quantities of Oak.
IMG_20200709_200017.jpg
JC973
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JC973 »

stillanoob wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:57 pm Naw, 200mL from 11g of wash is fine. You aren't going to use the first bit of the spirit run anyway.

I know I’m new and just a noob, but KSSF has been my first long term project, I’m on Gen 5. I have left some white, and various amounts of oak cubes on others. I oak in glass at 65% and I peeled 750ml of the second generation back to 50% today after 2 months on oak and it’s dang good.

I was told the hardest thing to put in a bottle is patience but for me the hardest part is leaving it in the bottle...
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Had to go in to the local TS for a fitting for my air compressor, so I walked in back where the feed bags are. There wasn't any of the all grain SF, just the stuff with pellets in it, but they did have sweet COB for $13.50/50# bag. I may have to try this out before starting single malts. Anyone done the math in the last 132 pages on how many gallons of mash a 50# bag yeilds?

(Edit) I see now in the OP its estimated that it's about 7.5# per 5 gallons, that'd be 33 gallons, if you didn't reuse a portion and just add new. So that being said I reckon it's likley close to 50 gallons or more of wash from a bag if you're making 5 to10 gallon of wash at a time?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:52 pm Had to go in to the local TS for a fitting for my air compressor, so I walked in back where the feed bags are. There wasn't any of the all grain SF, just the stuff with pellets in it, but they did have sweet COB for $13.50/50# bag.
Sweetfeed = Sweet COB (corn, oats, barley). Just depends on where you live.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thats what I thought I read in here in somewhere. Mind like a steel trap I tell ya ;-)
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
frenzy
Novice

Post by frenzy »

Anyone else notice that the infamous purple bag of all grain feed from Tractor Supply no longer exists on their webpage? Instead this grey/brown bag appears...
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... feed-50-lb
Why is TS messing with us? It look over 100 pages of comments to get this right.

Have ya'll tried it? I've gotten used to my $15 bag that goes for 7 or so 5-gal runs...
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

frenzy and homedistiller members, I went to three Tractor Supply stores yesterday looking for the purple bag and found none. I came home and did a little research and found out that if you go to the TS website and enter the item# from the purple bag (I still have one), the new brown bag comes up. I did send TS a question about this however I have not received a reply as of yet. It appears to be the same at this point however I'm headed over to TS shortly to get a bag of this and see if they compare.
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

Ok gang, I just returned from Tractor Supply with the "NEW" All Grain Feed that comes in a brown bag now instead of the purple bag. EVERYTHING is identical on the PRODUCER'S PRIDE ALL GRAIN tag EXCEPT they no longer put Barley in it according to the ingredients label...Cost: $15.49 for a 50# Bag...
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

mluvs2fish wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:46 am Ok gang, I just returned from Tractor Supply with the "NEW" All Grain Feed that comes in a brown bag now instead of the purple bag. EVERYTHING is identical on the PRODUCER'S PRIDE ALL GRAIN tag EXCEPT they no longer put Barley in it according to the ingredients label...Cost: $15.49 for a 50# Bag...
So just corn, oats, and molasses?
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

Beerswimmer wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:39 am
mluvs2fish wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:46 am Ok gang, I just returned from Tractor Supply with the "NEW" All Grain Feed that comes in a brown bag now instead of the purple bag. EVERYTHING is identical on the PRODUCER'S PRIDE ALL GRAIN tag EXCEPT they no longer put Barley in it according to the ingredients label...Cost: $15.49 for a 50# Bag...
So just corn, oats, and molasses?
YES - INGREDIENTS: Cracked Corn, Whole Oats, Cane Molasses, just missing the barley from the purple bag... Item# 0045018
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Get the sweet COB in the yellow bag.
frenzy
Novice

Post by frenzy »

Thanks for reporting back on this!
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:13 pm Get the sweet COB in the yellow bag.
Deplorable, I would love to get the COB but I can't find it where I'm at. I'll check on it if I travel out of state and get it then. Thanks for the recommendation.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Is it available to deliver to your store?
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

You can also look for the Grainland Select brand, that is what I used.
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

mluvs2fish wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:41 am
Deplorable, I would love to get the COB but I can't find it where I'm at. I'll check on it if I travel out of state and get it then. Thanks for the recommendation.
Deplorable, have you had any experience with the cracked corn at TS? Just curious...
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

mluvs2fish wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:50 am
Deplorable, have you had any experience with the cracked corn at TS? Just curious...
I have not used their cracked corn, but there are others here that have. Truth be told, I haven't even opened the bag of COB I bought yet since I've got a Gerber wash in the fermenter to clean the still.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

mluvs2fish wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:50 am
I have. Used it for years. Needs cooking, hold at 170+ for 20-30 minutes, probably have to add enzyme or malted barley in small amount to change the viscosity, and stir it 3 or 6 times. Let the temp drop, and your malted grains at 155-160, stir, and cover till temp drops to 100. Test with iodine, and cast yeast when clear. Love that TS chicken grind cracked corn!
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Im surprised that nobody yet has run the SF through the mill, and pitched Angel Yeast to see if the magic chinese yease with enzymes will provide a viable AG wash.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Angel yeast will do it for sure :thumbup:
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!