Shady's Sugar Shine

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Shady's Sugar Shine

Post by shadylane »

Deathstroke wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:28 pm I'm definitely gona try this recipe out when i get time this week.
Give it a try
If it's a sugar wash
I'd always recommend boiling some fresh yeast for nutrients and a sock full of crushed shell
Deathstroke
Novice

Post by Deathstroke »

I'm planning on halfing the recipe so 15 pounds suger in about 2 gal water boiling water. add 1/4 cup bakers yeast pinch of epsin salt cool to room temp, transfer to carboy add other 8 gal of water and oyster shells. Add 1/4 cup red star yeast on top (not sure if you can mix yeast brands but i can see there being any problem). This gona be my first run so i wanted to post what I'm doing to see what you guys thought.

P.S i plan on stripping 2 runs in pot still then a spirit run in reflux.
Thanks for any info in advance
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

The yeast would like some extra nitrogen.
But even without it, they will get the job done, just slower
Deathstroke
Novice

Post by Deathstroke »

Really good recipe shady. I cut the recipe down to 5 gal(i got 2 5 gal carboys) boiled 1/8th cup of bakers yeast and 4 kg of suger pinch of epsion salt. Added to carboy with 1 table spoon of dap and 1 cup oyster shells fermented for 3 days, I had to cut fermentation short due to a housing inspection (it passed and i sold my house!!) Just finished my run yesterday got 63 ABV and a steady decline of about 5-8 ABV per liter. Stopped running when it got down to 25 ABV. About 8 liters total got another 10 gal fermenting plan on running it this sunday. Gotta admit I'm really enjoying this
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Put up a couple of fermenters of this again last night with 50 lbs of sugar in around 30 gallons of water. I'm going to make up a big batch of hand sanitizer keeping heads (not fores), tails, and all. 8)
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

MtRainier wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:29 pm Put up a couple of fermenters of this again last night with 50 lbs of sugar in around 30 gallons of water. I'm going to make up a big batch of hand sanitizer keeping heads (not fores), tails, and all. 8)
Foreshots works good for Poison ivy.
Dab some on with a cotton swab and 1 second later you'll forget all about scratching. :wink:
All jokes aside it will dry up the poison ivy rash and make it scab over so it can heal.
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

Shady. Great recipe. I used #35 sugar in 25 gallons of water. Added 1/2 cup boiled yeast and fermax as it has dap and vitamins needed. Added about 1 cup oyster shells. Pitched 1/2 cup yeast and held temps between 87-90 degrees. Took off like a bullet it’s has almost completed fermentation in three days. Will check gravity tomorrow if below 1 will let it cool down and run on Thursday. Plan to strip it for a neutral run later to get some base neutral for gin experiments. Thanks
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

Stripped this today. Turned out great from the taste of the strip it will make a great neutral. Thanks Shady.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Your welcome :D
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

I've been wanting to try this for a long time to use for making gin.
Very easy receipt, I made a 14 gallon wash.
However, I did omitted the vitamins and the Epsom salts.
After adding everything to the fermentor, I hung the oyster shell like a tea bag inside it. The ferment started working in less than an hour.

I'm planning on making a gin using juniper berries from my own tree. I have made gin once before. But this time, I want to cutback the botanical's, and make a litter tasting gin. Can't wait!

Thank you Shady for the receipt!
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

I don't know how to edit my post. I meant to say lighter tasting, not litter tasting.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Broken Jug wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:28 pm I don't know how to edit my post. I meant to say lighter tasting, not litter tasting.
Click on the icon button of the right side in the posted section.. simple.. edit then submit..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Warble
Novice

Post by Warble »

This may seem a silly question but, is the oyster shell in the ferment a risk to someone with shellfish allergies?!? I was mentioning to a friend that I might try this and he was - "No way, I'm not touching that!" I see it as it shouldn't seeing how as the calcium? is helping the ferment and it will get distilled (at least twice) after. However, not really sure what the kicks off allergic reactions and if that could be carried over to the final product?
Last edited by Warble on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Warble wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:10 pm This may seem a silly question but, is the oyster shell in the ferment a risk to someone with shellfish allergies?!? I was mentioning to a friend that I might try this and he was - "No way, I'm not touching that!" I see it as it shouldn't seeing how as the calcium? is helping the ferment and it will get distilled (at least twice) after. However, not really what the kicks off allergic reactions and if that could be carried over to the final product?
Use a block of marble.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Its not a problem once distilled. Proteins won't come over in the distillate. It is why people with celiac can drink whiskey even though they are allergic to gluten in barley, rye, and wheat. But you may not want to clue your buddy in if he's not that close or excessively thirsty!!
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

I have a shellfish allergy and you have nothing to worry about. Use oyster shell all the time in ferments.
Warble
Novice

Post by Warble »

Thanks for the replies. Noting the "excessively thirsty" comment. :)
looking forward to giving this go.
PaulmyFinger
Novice

Post by PaulmyFinger »

I was concerned for this also. I'm allergic to Oysters and such but theyre a Mollusc, Shellfish allery is different. The coeliac comment is interesting to me but I'm not sure whats in Mollusc that could carry over, that said, isn't the finings stuff some sort of sea food? I've not seem prawns in anyones mash yet :D
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

PaulmyFinger wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:45 pm I was concerned for this also. I'm allergic to Oysters and such but theyre a Mollusc, Shellfish allery is different. The coeliac comment is interesting to me but I'm not sure whats in Mollusc that could carry over, that said, isn't the finings stuff some sort of sea food? I've not seem prawns in anyones mash yet :D
Thanks for the idea, Paul. I've run with chicken and hamburger, but never thought of using prawns. They might be nice.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

South Africans are probably going wtf now.
PaulmyFinger
Novice

Post by PaulmyFinger »

Actually, more I think about it, it is always the second half of the bottle makes me ill so it probably is the allergy
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

The finings in chitosan/kieselsol (aka superkleer) are made from shellfish exoskeleton. This is used by home winemakers all the time and is said “not to be an issue for shellfish allergy”. One time my ex came over to the cellar for an evening of wine tasting and she ended up in the ICU. Pretty severe reaction and high sensitivity to shellfish. Not sure if it carries over in distillation but I do know that the allergy is often very severe so be careful.

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I feel for the folks with allergies
Thank heavens I not allergic to alcohol :lol:
PaulmyFinger
Novice

Post by PaulmyFinger »

Its thought provoking for sure, i wonder if this recipe works as well with a replacement
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

PaulmyFinger wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:29 am Its thought provoking for sure, i wonder if this recipe works as well with a replacement
Scroll up about ten posts.
PaulmyFinger
Novice

Post by PaulmyFinger »

Ah I missed that, Marble? Interesting
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

Update on my first try at "Shady's Sugar Shine."

I'm VERY please with this recipe. I had no trouble with it stalling, FG 0.98. Ran it through my reflux, and came out very clean.

I kept the middle of the run to make some of Odin's Easy Gin with, looking forward to that as well.

Again, great/simple recipe!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Broken Jug wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:21 pmI'm planning on making a gin using juniper berries from my own tree. I have made gin once before. But this time, I want to cutback the botanical's, and make a lighter tasting gin. Can't wait!
I’m with you, liking lighter gins. By lighter, I mean less Juniper. I use Shady’s recipe for my base and for botanicals I simply cut the juniper in half (25% of total botanicals vs 50%) , keeping the amount of other botanical in their common proportions. I also tried the same low juniper batch with double the normal citrus and that was nice too. By normal, I’m referring to the x/100 ratios listed in the HD web page gin section. Best of luck on you gin adventure. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I have been wanting to run this for a while but I have been building out my basement brewery/distillery for 2 and 3/4 years now
It has been a crazy amount of time to build my dream, but I am so happy to have a blow off tube finally bubbling again in the basement. :D :D :D
Unfortunately this first run will be nothing but firepit starter as this is a cleaning run.
But I plan on running this next as my first real run through the new still. After I have some neutral I can run my ag bourbons and heavy molasses rums
I morphed the recipe between Shadys & Wineos
What I ran was
368 liters of filtered water
154 pounds of sugar
40 B complex vitamin
15 TBS of DAP
18 tsp of gypsum
18 tsp of citric acid
2.34 tsp of epsom salt
I boiled 2 gallon of water to 2.5 cups of bakers yeast for 20 minutes and added into the wash ( I took the two gallons from the kettle so this was not additional water)
I washed and rinsed 5 cups of “chicken grit” oyster shells and added them in the end.
I brought everything up to 180 f for twenty minutes and then crashed to 85f at point I turned on the oxynegeation stone in my kettle for 30 minutes and had my mixer set at 30 rpm.
Once the wash chilled down to 85 f I pitched 3 cups of saf-instant Lesaffre yeast (my restaurant depot was out of redstar)
My starting gravity was 1.071 with a PH of 5.6
It started bubbling in 1/2 hour and now three hours later it is bubbling huge
Can’t wait to make this as a keeper for ginger/honey vodka, apple pie and lemoncello

Thanks Shady
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Should make enough neutral for a whole year I would think!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....