Fermenting under pressure

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Fermenting under pressure

Post by jimmayhugh »

I use a Brite tank and spunding valve when I'm making IPAs as it allows me to ferment under a wider temperature range while keeping unwanted esters to a minimum.

I searched the site and didn't see a similar topic as it applies to this hobby, so I thought I'd bring it up.

It seems to me that if you are interested in minimizing ester production for vodka and gin, this may be useful.

Any thoughts?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fermenting under pressure

Post by Expat »

It's funny that you mentioned this. Just yesterday I was watching a presentation video from my local brew club on this very topic.

To me it brings to mind the idea of pushing the needle both ways, increasing pressure to reduce esters for neutral, and maybe finding other ways to do the opposite.

Have to get a spare keg and a spunding valve to experiment with.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by bluedog »

My first instinct would say that increasing the pressure on the fermenter would increase stress on the yeast, and create more esters. Any idea why the opposite happens?
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

I doubt you'd notice much difference in final product assuming you're already minimizing yeast stress and have good pitch rates. That said, it's pretty damned easy to set a spunding valve and experiment.