Dady vs regular Fleischmann's yeast Fl ei

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

xcaret
Novice

Dady vs regular Fleischmann's yeast Fl ei

Post by xcaret »

Ive been using grocery store yeast from the baking department .
I get around 15% alcohol in my finished fermenting wash .
Would Dady yeast give me a higher alcohol content ?
Time is of no importance , only alcohol % .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Dady vs regular Fleischmann's yeast Fl ei

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Why on earth would you want higher ABV washes.
10-12% is as high as you should go, most on this forum go even lower.
High ABV stresses yeast and makes bad tasting booze, if you want to make more alcohol make bigger ferments at lower ABV.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I've only used Fleischmann's yeast because it's cheap, readily available and I usually shoot for 10% ABV, but sometimes over-shoot the water and end up a little bit lower in ABV, but it doesn't matter. High ABV is silly. As said previously, do bigger ferments and use a big boiler for big stripping runs. Now use a 15.5 gal keg for instance to do a good size spirit run.

Stripping runs are fast & easy. Spirit runs are SLOW and you need to make your cuts. A spirit run with a full keg boiler charge will have you busy ALL DAY.

I suppose it might be helpful if we knew what you intend to make. I went to a local micro brewery this past weekend and a girl came out with these shot glasses with a red, 40 proof, cinnamon, malt fermented drink. Now there I imagine you would want a higher ABV tolerant yeast that ferments relatively clean. It wasn't good, but that's the only legit example of a high ABV ferment that I could think of.
xcaret
Novice

Post by xcaret »

I'm not looking to drink the wash . I'm looking for as high a an alcohol content as I can get ,because I will seperate the alcohol in my still .
The higher alcohol content .the more i get when I distill a batch .;
Ajnyway thanks for the replys .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

xcaret wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:18 am I just signed up this morning , and think this site is going to teach me a lot .
Let me be more blunt ,your completely missing the point.....high ABV wash makes shit Booze.
People who have no idea about distilling may tell you that its a good idea, but members of this forum and others who do know about distilling wont agree.
You obviously have much to learn.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:43 pm
xcaret wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:18 am I just signed up this morning , and think this site is going to teach me a lot .
Let me be more blunt ,your completely missing the point.....high ABV wash makes shit Booze.
People who have no idea about distilling may tell you that its a good idea, but members of this forum and others who do know about distilling wont agree.
You obviously have much to learn.
This site needs a like button.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
xcaret
Novice

Post by xcaret »

Sorry folks , this has been a mistake looking for answers here .
I'm unsubscibing .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

People here are about making quality before quantity.... sorry you didnt find what you wanted.
If you want to make rubbish booze you wont find the answers you want here.
Cabron99
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cabron99 »

You'll be back.
"Life is too short for cheap cigars"
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I dont get it with some people
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Durhommer wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:27 am I dont get it with some people
It's difficult to understand, but I think some people can't move past the greed of wanting more. The irony being that most anyone who stays with the hobby ends up with way more than they can consume in a lifetime.

Let him enjoy drinking fuel grade shit is all I can say.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Durhommer »

He will eventually change his mind
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

xcaret wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:50 pm I'm not looking to drink the wash . I'm looking for as high a an alcohol content as I can get ,because I will seperate the alcohol in my still .
The higher alcohol content .the more i get when I distill a batch .;
Any bread yeast will give you 20%+, if it's done and formulated the right way..

Not saying it will be the best drinkable product, but very doable and finished under 10 days, yet giving a product better than the turbo finished..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

I’ll be the first to give him the benefit of the doubt. He said he wasn’t going to drink it, maybe he is making fuel and is entirely in the wrong place? He should have taken the left at Albuquerque.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Mars how ya been in these covid days. 30x if hes not drinking it at least make something that you can drink and use as a fuel if need be🤣🤣🤣 he also said drink the wash too dont we all put a wash into a still
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

You can explain it to him, but you can't understand it for him. SMH
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

He said he wasnt going to drink the wash.... he didnt say im not going to drink what i distil from the wash.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Hilarious! .... I respect the knowledge here and have read ALOT and learned ALOT here, but the way you crucify newbies kills me! :-D

... I agree, he will be back.
-- Rrmuf
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I think that there a plenty of folks from all walks and interests that might come here thinking they’ve got it mostly figured out and what they are really seeking is validation rather than advice. Then any sort of advice, no matter how well meaning, is received as confrontational.
Probably should have just gone ahead and suggested DADY as a good, all purpose yeast and let it be at that. When it doesn’t turn out so well due to lack of nutrients or just put fermentation quality he’ll start asking more questions and finally come around. Some just have to figure it out on their own and do a little experimentation. This whole hobby has a lot of nuances that have to come together. Trying to defeat that by seeking a single, comprehensive solution just won’t work. Sometimes that realization takes some time.
I wish him the best in this journey and hopefully he’ll find the right answers, whether here, or elsewhere. But I think he’ll quickly come around to the quality over quantity part. Many of us have probably been there, too.
rockcanyon
Novice

Post by rockcanyon »

As a new distiller myself, I have to say I don't understand the basis of his question. Sounds like he's wanting to know if DADY will give him more alcohol than bakers in otherwise identical wash. I know next to nothing about this hobby yet but in 2 weeks of reading here I think I understand that if he allows them both to finish fermenting he will get the exact same amount with either one. Or is he just asking which yeast has the highest alcohol tolerance? If so he could have asked it more clearly.
"A man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest" - Paul Simon
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

rockcanyon I think you re correct with the caveat that the potential ABV could be compromised by the selected yeast's tolerance level. ... tht is my understanding anyways.
The other point of the comments is that when someone is trying to 'maximize' the ABV, they are missing the point of the exercise. I.e. quality vs quantity.
-- Rrmuf