Introduction- No prior knowledge

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

misterBalladeer
Novice

Introduction- No prior knowledge

Post by misterBalladeer »

Good Morning,

I am a lifetime learner and enjoy learning about a lot of things. Recently I was out of town and came upon a meadery and I was fascinated by the idea of creating something like that.
I have been researching making mead and ended up down the YouTube hole and started watching videos about distilling and it seems absolutely fascinating to me.
My goal would be to start off with something easy and eventually work my way up. I don't have any equipment yet as I'm still researching, but I plan to take a lot of pointers and lessons learned from the knowledge on this site.

Thanks again and I look forward to sharing some things that I experience as I go through the process.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Introduction- No prior knowledge

Post by Corsaire »

Welcome!
What do you like to drink? That can narrow down your research quite a bit.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

Beware of Youtube distillers as some of them are not as clever as they think they are ... and that's my polite way of putting it.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome to the forum!!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

misterBalladeer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:51 am ended up down the YouTube hole and started watching videos about distilling and it seems absolutely fascinating to me.
Welcome Aboard Balladeer,
The Youtube Hole can lead you down a path of bad information and Myth............its not held in high regard by many of our forum members........worth bearing that in mind :thumbup:
misterBalladeer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:51 am I don't have any equipment yet as I'm still researching, but I plan to take a lot of pointers and lessons learned from the knowledge on this site.
Good to hear....many newbs jump in to buying or building with no real idea of what they really need or want.....not all stills do all things well......there are many types and designs......best to know what you really need before commiting.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Welcome to HD!

As others have suggested, ignore youtube and you'll do fine.

Starting with something easy is likely going to be a plain sugar recipe. So when you're comfortable, have a look in the tried and true section for some pre made recipes.

Good luck, have fun and ask good questions :)

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Welcome in.

I'd be very cautious about YouTube videos. Most of them shows some people that doesn't know jack about distilling and questionable equipment praised as "stills". Have a look at Crankys "spoonfed" thread (link in my signature). It provides you with a lot of information to guide you int this hobby.
If you want to get your feet wet without investing a ton of money you could start out with a simple pot still.
There are a lot of tutorials and builds in here...all safe and proven good.
Tip: don't start with a tiny little still as it's too tricky for a novice with the cuts.
You'll also be discouraged by the tiny amount of product left.

Stay safe and have fun..
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Welcome friend. You’ll not only find you passion in distilling fulfilled her but quite a bunch of mead knowledge, too.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.