Compiling a kit for Gin only distilling

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

vonmighty
Novice

Compiling a kit for Gin only distilling

Post by vonmighty »

Hey Guys! Just wondering what you think of this proposed setup for experimenting and making small batch gin..

- A mangrove jack 25L boiler with an attached copper column reflux for making the neutral spirit
(https://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/pro ... istilling/)

- Then a copper alembic top for distilling the Gin itself
(https://www.discounthomebrewsupplies.co ... condenser/)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Compiling a kit for Gin only distilling

Post by NZChris »

If I couldn't build a better gin setup myself I might consider something like that combination, but ... without bothering to look at the links you posted, are the sealing materials they are supplying safe for distilling?

Do you know which materials are safe and which materials should be avoided?

What are they supplying with this still?

Are you prepared to compromise if the manufacturers of the materials they supply don't recommend them for use with hot high proof alcohols, etc..

The seals in my stills for gin are PTFE or flour paste. AFAIK, neither are a health risk.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Also, the column claims 93% abv. There's still designs here that can go to azeo. That will come in handy if you want the cleanest possible gin base.

Look up some still designs here. Go modular, triclamps allow you to easily swap your setup. If you're not a builder there's options to just piece triclamp bits together.

Ccvm might be a good place to start. Jesse has a video of his ccvm on his Still It youtube channel.

Fwiw so far I've only used a pot still to make gin, but I'm in the minority here.

Keep researching, lots of potentially money saving options here.
vonmighty
Novice

Post by vonmighty »

Understood! Im not really experienced enough to build my own at this point, just want to get a feel for it and try some stuff out.

Will check on the materials, thanks for flagging this!

I love the idea of modular, will do some more digging. Ive looked at a bunch of Jessies videos, he's awesome...

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input and feedback!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

vonmighty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:28 am Im not really experienced enough to build my own at this point,
You don't need experience before you build. I built my first still prior to the advent of the internet and forums. It is still my main still over thirty years later. My first gin still was built much later, using a saucepan and steamer from a charity shop and copper from a scrapyard.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

vonmighty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:28 am Ive looked at a bunch of Jessies videos, he's awesome...
Seems he learned 99% of what he knows from this forum.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:13 am Seems he learned 99% of what he knows from this forum.
Which makes him the best distiller on youtube!

And, for whatever it's worth, I've built every still I've ever used except for lab glass stills. It ain't hard. Cheaper, better, more fun, useful skillset easily picked up, only requires tools you ought to have and know how to use anyway, what's not to love?
vonmighty
Novice

Post by vonmighty »

Okay, im going to build it myself!

The last part of the equation is a boiler... I love the idea of a digiboil to control the temps but they seem to get a bad rap.

Every time I think im making progress on picking something for my setup, I end up back at the drawing board :|

No wonder people by all in one kits!
stmaus
Novice

Post by stmaus »

Do a search on "modular CCVM" eg in the Condensor Controlled Columns thread (posts by DAD300 and kimbodius), also on firewater subreddit for "modular CCVM". If you do a 2 inch still in SS (with copper mesh), it will be cheaper that your earlier proposed purchases and more effective. Parts from Distillex, everything triclamped, and easy to assemble.

Re the boiler, YOU DO NOT WANT TO TRY TO CONTROL TEMP! The boil temp is defined by physics, not controlled by the distiller.

So a digiboil is a bad idea, your MJ 25L dumb boiler will be better (but you do also need a power controller to control power/heat). Alternatively you can go a 50L beer keg with an electric element through the side (plus power controller), a bit cheaper and larger volume, but you won't be able to do small batches (of gin), compared to the MJ.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Or a keg boiler heated by gas is another cheaper option.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

vonmighty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:28 am Im not really experienced enough to build my own at this point

Unfortunately, neither are many of the vendors out there now.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Second link didn’t open for me.
But my kit includes:
1. a scale for measuring botanicals
2. a Krups grinder to crush botanicals
3. since my recipe is for 2 gallons I have a two gallon jar to store during Macerating.