Newb from Vancouver Island

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

mrplow
Novice

Newb from Vancouver Island

Post by mrplow »

Hello all!

A YouTube rabbit hole somehow led me to the Barley and Hops channel with George discussing home distilling. Months later I feel like I've watched nearly all his videos and the forum research goes on and on.

I was initially just interested in learning about the craft for fun, as I'm a type 1 diabetic so I don't drink much hard alcohol. But I do like a neutral alcohol for light mixed drinks. And the wife likes all booze :lol:

But after watching so many videos are asked me if I wanted a still... Yes. Yes I would.

I don't have a lot of $ to spend ($500 CAD?) so I was thinking of getting a cheap AliExpress all-in-one dealio but maybe I should start with just a boiler and gradually get parts down the road.
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000308002665.html (piece of junk? but maybe a good starting point? I think I'd need to add some column length and pack it for a reflux)

I'd mostly like to make neutrals but would like the option of making other spirits as well. The modular triclamp setups look great as they can be added to and adjusted for different modes.

I've been looking at 30L boilers and man the shipping is brutal to Canada.

I've soldered electronics before (I suck) but haven't welded anything and making my own boiler from scratch isn't likely to happen. The most advanced thing I'd be willing to do would be adding a heating element and wiring a PID.

Cheers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Newb from Vancouver Island

Post by Saltbush Bill »

George seems to have a huge following but in reality is Wrong about many many things.
Watching his videos will have you doing all sorts of wierd stuff.....then asking here why it didn't work.
Members of the forum have already spent countless hours trying to explain to newbs why George's methods and ideas ARE WRONG AND DONT WORK in many cases.
He would be the last person on earth that most experienced distillers here would reccomend you learn from.
George's PID ideas dont work properly....if you want to build a controler ask on this forum. There are designs and information available here THAT DO WORK.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

No one's word is gospel and I don't take his as absolute truth either 😉

Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Thanks for the welcome
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

There's a couple of canadian options for boilers and still parts, namely broken oar, hawke probate, north still.

I can also vouch for George's PID not working as promised. I got my toes wet with him, but this forum has lots more info that's useful, and more frequently correct.

In my opinion (from learning the hard way), start with a simple pot still, then when you get used to it, move on to reflux and that world. You can get pretty clean stuff for mixing and experimenting with a couple of potstill runs.

Also (again from the hard way), pick a tried and true and follow it to the T. I tried my own ideas first and none of them worked out that well, but with a bunch of generations of UJSSM and Googe's Goo in me, I feel a lot more confident to try new stuff!
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, I spend a lot of time fishing and cruising around Vancouver Island. Beautiful country!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome to HD. I’m a big fan of your bug zoo.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

Windswept wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:45 am There's a couple of canadian options for boilers and still parts, namely broken oar, hawke probate, north still.
Wow Broken Oar isn't all that far of a drive from me. I can probably save on shipping. Still... a but expensive at $350 plus tax for a 30L milk jug. The image of the jug they use on their site has a watermark of an Alibaba company...
Windswept wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:45 am In my opinion (from learning the hard way), start with a simple pot still, then when you get used to it, move on to reflux and that world.
I'll likely go that route. I just want to make sure that any parts I buy would be able to be used in a modular setup later on.
Bushman wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:50 pm Welcome, I spend a lot of time fishing and cruising around Vancouver Island. Beautiful country!
Thanks! Its a beautiful place, that's for sure.
OtisT wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:12 pm Welcome to HD. I’m a big fan of your bug zoo.

Otis
I love the Bug Zoo too!

I've got some reading up to do 👍
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

Last edited by mrplow on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

As we move away from welcoming a member we need to start posting information in the appropriate forums.
mrplow
Novice

Post by mrplow »

Bushman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:10 pm As we move away from welcoming a member we need to start posting information in the appropriate forums.
Sorry sir, I'll start a new thread.