Yeast recommendations?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Yeast recommendations?

Post by Texas Jim »

I have been using SafSpirit USW-6 yeast in my all-corn mashes. I use a potstill and enzymes. The results were very good - lot's of butterscotch and caramel in the new make. But, it's a bit expensive at $50 for 500grams.

So, I was thinking of trying Red Star DADY, or one of the FermPro products (900, 917, or 927). The FermPro items are a bit confusing, since they all have the same basic description.

Any suggestions out there? Or direct experience with the FermPro products?
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yeast recommendations?

Post by HomerD »

A lot of people use DADY or bread yeast. I’m getting ready to run my first DADY UJSM. I haven’t used bread yeast yet.
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
diktater
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by diktater »

ive been running the fermpro 921 for a while(almost done with the 500g pack) its pretty fast and doesn’t add much flavor. when i kill the pack im gonna try the 917. cant beat their prices either
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I just tried the FermPro 36 ale yeast with an Irish style all grain. I like it. I use the FP-921 for my piggy back sugar heads, since it is a yeast developed for rums. I also use the FP900 for whiskies. But in all fairness, you just can’t beat plain old bakers yeast, I like the Red Star brand. I’ve had good results using it along with US-05. So many yeasts, so little time.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
NDakota
Novice

Post by NDakota »

Sorry guys, you are using normal bakers yeast? just like the one used for making bread? Is it not different from yeasts for malts? I'm trying to find all the ingredients for my first run, and I'm planning to buy some Peated Barley and some non-peated (it depends on how peated is the first one) for a single malt try. I was suggested to use Safspirit Malt Yeast, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet. What's about this Fermpro? what's the difference between all of them that you listed?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yes a lot of us use bakers yeast for many things.....it cheap , easily available and works, try it you migjt be supprised.
redwitch
Novice

Post by redwitch »

NDakota wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:50 am Sorry guys, you are using normal bakers yeast? just like the one used for making bread? Is it not different from yeasts for malts? I'm trying to find all the ingredients for my first run, and I'm planning to buy some Peated Barley and some non-peated (it depends on how peated is the first one) for a single malt try. I was suggested to use Safspirit Malt Yeast, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet. What's about this Fermpro? what's the difference between all of them that you listed?
I see you are located in London. I 'd be interested to know if baker's yeast is easy to get over there. I am in France, so, very easy, any small shop has some, but I wondered if they still use the Yeast the "good ol' way" in England?
For the industrial ones, and whisky making, I have tried normal beer yeasts available form destillario or rolling beers. Last , got " turbo yeast" , works OK, cheap, but you also pay for activated charcol in an separate pack, supposed to filter the stuff. I did not see much difference, but the liquid is black, and stains everything around... Not great.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Has anyone found information indicating the alcohol tolerances for Red Star Baker’s Yeast?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Rad did test years ago and if remember right he got to 18% but was babysitting it along. Thinkin happy medium for it is 12ish%
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Mash master
Novice

Post by Mash master »

What ratio of bakers yeast to an AG wash would anyone recommend please?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Mash master wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:56 am What ratio of bakers yeast to an AG wash would anyone recommend please?
A medium shuffle with a stiff arm dash.

Per 5 gallons, of course.

... as stated in other thread.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

redwitch wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 am
NDakota wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:50 am Sorry guys, you are using normal bakers yeast? just like the one used for making bread? Is it not different from yeasts for malts? I'm trying to find all the ingredients for my first run, and I'm planning to buy some Peated Barley and some non-peated (it depends on how peated is the first one) for a single malt try. I was suggested to use Safspirit Malt Yeast, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet. What's about this Fermpro? what's the difference between all of them that you listed?
I see you are located in London. I 'd be interested to know if baker's yeast is easy to get over there. I am in France, so, very easy, any small shop has some, but I wondered if they still use the Yeast the "good ol' way" in England?
For the industrial ones, and whisky making, I have tried normal beer yeasts available form destillario or rolling beers. Last , got " turbo yeast" , works OK, cheap, but you also pay for activated charcol in an separate pack, supposed to filter the stuff. I did not see much difference, but the liquid is black, and stains everything around... Not great.
Bakers yeast is in almost every supermarket over here. Disappeared off the shelves for a while but that didn't last long.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

BoomTown wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:01 am Has anyone found information indicating the alcohol tolerances for Red Star Baker’s Yeast?
I don't know what the upper limit is
But @ 31c - 86f given just enough sugar to make 10% alcohol it will ferment dry in 4 days.
I think any higher than that and problems begin to happen.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Mash master wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:56 am What ratio of bakers yeast to an AG wash would anyone recommend please?
7 grams per 20lt or 1/4 ounce per 5 gallons should be enough.
Unless I have a two pound brick, then I've been known to sprinkle a tad more on top the ferment :wink:
Mash master
Novice

Post by Mash master »

shadylane wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:12 pm
7 grams per 20lt or 1/4 ounce per 5 gallons should be enough.
Unless I have a two pound brick, then I've been known to sprinkle a tad more on top the ferment :wink:
Thanks a lot! Very helpful and much appreciated.

I’m doing my first AG probably next week, I’ve been doing loads of research but everywhere you look there is conflicting info! It’s good to get advice from someone that’s actually done it.

Thanks again 👍
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

shadylane wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:00 pm
BoomTown wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:01 am Has anyone found information indicating the alcohol tolerances for Red Star Baker’s Yeast?
I don't know what the upper limit is
But @ 31c - 86f given just enough sugar to make 10% alcohol it will ferment dry in 4 days.
I think any higher than that and problems begin to happen.
If memory serves Rad pushed it to the 20's once, to see if he could pull it off.
He claimed he got good flavors at 14% with fleishmans. Any higher and he got bad flavors. I've never tried aiming so high.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I dont think we have Red Star or Fleishmans in AU......but my understanding is that Bakers yeasts can and will go way over 15% and possibly as high as 20% given the right conditions.
Ive often thought about doing some experiments to see if that is true, unfortunately Im lazy and it probably will never happen.
Sounds like a project for Yummy Rum to me
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

I've got a couple of pouches of kviek hornindale in the post. Gonna pair it with 20kg of corn and see what happens!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Newfie1
Novice

Post by Newfie1 »

Texas Jim wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:53 pm I have been using SafSpirit USW-6 yeast in my all-corn mashes. I use a potstill and enzymes. The results were very good - lot's of butterscotch and caramel in the new make. But, it's a bit expensive at $50 for 500grams.

So, I was thinking of trying Red Star DADY, or one of the FermPro products (900, 917, or 927). The FermPro items are a bit confusing, since they all have the same basic description.

Any suggestions out there? Or direct experience with the FermPro products?
You should have kept some of the yeast trub and reused it in next fermentation and also harvest some of it for future use. George from barley and hops recently done a show on harvesting yeast. That use-6 yeast though expensive could last you a lifetime if you took the steps
hypnopooper
Bootlegger

Post by hypnopooper »

I have used Red Star DADY from a brew store and it was fine but not as buttery as the USW-6 in my opinion. I now use the USW-6 for most of my all grain whiskey's/bourbon batches and honestly its a great yeast for those. For a 30 gallon mash I use 30-50g of yeast. That's a cost of only $3-$5 of yeast for the batch which is not so bad, so long as you can use the entire 500g before the shelf life expires.

If its a cost thing, I concur with Newfie1, maybe invest in a yeast slant kit, I know some home brewers that do it and its a good money saver in the long game so long as you take care of your yeast. YouTube has no shortage in videos on harvesting and washing yeast to use for future batches. For me, it's really more work than what I would prefer to do, and for now I'm fortunate enough that I am able to shell out the $50 for the USW-6 brick and keep it in a nice dark cool back corner of the pantry.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I'm using us05 dady and abbayae but right now it's us05 the next batch is the abbayae
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

I just made a straight corn whiskey with Kveik Hornindale and its beautiful.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

DSmith78 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:23 am I just made a straight corn whiskey with Kveik Hornindale and its beautiful.
Ninety-seven-dolla per 250g in Russia for Mangrove Jack's "Kveik M12" now... is it a space shuttle technology or just another tribute to fashion?.. :crazy:

har druckit för mycket
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

I paid £18 for two out of date pouches! They were absolutely fine!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Anyone notice diktater avatar
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Durhommer wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:41 am Anyone notice diktater avatar
Very clever 👍
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

DSmith78 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:40 am I paid £18 for two out of date pouches! They were absolutely fine!
No doubt, lucky you :thumbup:

Durhommer wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:41 am Anyone notice diktater avatar
From my kolkhoz, it smellz like whiskkey...

har druckit för mycket