Rye bread whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rye bread whiskey

Post by Odin »

Its what I used to do. Why not take advantage of the starch/sugars in the rye bread? Yeah, go do it.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

SaltyStaves wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:22 pm I've only stripped it, but the low wines are fruity and spicy, so I'm not disappointed yet. Gen 2 (which will be combined with the gen 1 low wines for the spirit run) is fermenting with 500g of store-bought Roggebrood.
I spirit run the two generations together and the finished rye is like black forest chocolate (this is an aroma I smelled when I was cooking the kibbled rye).
I had intended to put this on oak, but it is too nice white.

The spice didn't develop. I think my kibbled rye needed to be on a flatter tray for the cook. Not what I planned for, but very nice all the same.
njsignman
Novice

Post by njsignman »

I'd like to give this a shot. I can get the loaves locally but am not sure it's correct. Below is the name, ingredient list and a pic from the store website. Thanks!

Mestemacher Bread, Organic, Whole Rye
Ingredients: Organic Whole Kernel Rye, Water, Organic Whole Rye Flour, Sea Salt, Yeast.
german rye.jpg
Too Old to Rock N Roll, but I still try!
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

njsignman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 am I'd like to give this a shot. I can get the loaves locally but am not sure it's correct. Below is the name, ingredient list and a pic from the store website. Thanks!

Mestemacher Bread, Organic, Whole Rye
Ingredients: Organic Whole Kernel Rye, Water, Organic Whole Rye Flour, Sea Salt, Yeast.

german rye.jpg
I've used the same one before. Tastes just like the other brands I have used. Hope you found it for a good price. I can usually find it at Big Lots for right around $3 a package.
Good Luck!

Cheers,
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
njsignman
Novice

Post by njsignman »

Thanks Irish. It's about $3.75 at the higher priced supermarket in our area, but they are the only ones who carry it. I think I can handle the extra $3. :wink:

Now to re-read this whole thread to make sure I haven't missed anything!
Too Old to Rock N Roll, but I still try!
metalmarc
Novice

Post by metalmarc »

This is one of my first recipe's when i started distilling in 2016 and saved half a bottle (at 58% abv so actually 3/4 of a bottle) with oak chips still in them. Tasty stuff, will be making more of it tomorrow, maybe with some backset from the last whisky i made. Wonderful recipe Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Glad you like it.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

3 fingers of rye whiskey and fresh salmon on the BBQ, life is good!
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I searched every Aldi's near me to no avail. :cry:

However, there is also a Whole Foods near me, and according to their website the Mestemacher is IN STOCK !!! :clap:

Guess where my next grocery store trip destination is???

I really love rye. Redemption & Bulleit are my fav store-bought brands. I can't wait to try this!!!

I'll post results in a few weeks. :D
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Odin,

So it was a successful run to Whole Foods. Basically emptied their shelf of Mestemacher rye!

Would this recipe be a good candidate for the 1.5 technique???

Thanks,
Duck
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Most taste-rich products benefit from a 1.5 approach, Ducky. Go for it!

Odin.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Odin wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:54 am Most taste-rich products benefit from a 1.5 approach, Ducky. Go for it!

Odin.
Odin, I missed the part of the thread where you backed down from 2.0 kg to 1.5 of bread to start, but I only put in 3.6 kg sugar/8 lbs, so hopefully not overkill on the spice (but I love Redemption rye, which is a 95% rye grain bill !!!).

It's bubbling away already with DAP & DADY and a hop-bag with a mug-full of oyster shells. I have hard tap-water, so I've had multiple sugar washes crash pH. Lesson learned for the pH battle...

Wash tastes very good! Very excited to get to end of fermentation!!!

Duck
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

So after making this rye for now 6 or 7 years ( adding cherrywood smoked barley ) I decided to run a 2nd and then a 3rd, a 4th and even a fifth generation on the same bread and only adding a pound of smoked barley back on the 3rd and 5th. Wifey has declared it a hit in each gen.
The 5th was a bit weak on the spices more along the line of a scotch but very good and I would still call it a very good rye.

Again Odin,
Thank you my friend,

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

You are welcome, mate. Glad you like it.

Odin.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I just looked it up (not drinking much whisky lately and it is a long time since I bought a Rye)
and Rye IS similar to bourbon.
The men in my family like bourbon and I promised my son to try and make some.
If this works it will get him much more interested in distilling.
Thanks, Odin!

Geoff
The Baker
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Working on Gen 2 of this! Roughest part is the patience after bottling...

Gen 3 will start fermenting tonight! :thumbup:
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Odin,

I may have missed it in previous pages, but is the only bread you remove from one generation to the next the stuff that's floating when it's time to rack? Reason I ask is that in each subsequent generation you add another 500g of bread, and now that I'm getting ready to start gen 4, I have almost 2 gal/7.5 L of bread on the bottom of the fermenter. Leaves less space for the wash...
gwizard
Novice

Post by gwizard »

If you can't locate rye bread in your area, just bake one yourself.
Here's my take on it: http://aye-chef.blogspot.com/2010/03/ne ... bread.html

It's not as "heavy" as the Dutch or Russian ones, but I think it will do just fine.

Although, I suspect once you do, you won't want to use it for booze :D
gwizard
Novice

Post by gwizard »

P.S. Do you know what the undistllled part of this recipe is called in Russia? Kvas.
Google it.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

20201006_102431.jpg
I can find this rye bread local will it work ? if not I just may order the one from Amazon that has been posted. It doesn't look as dark and dense as what I've seen others Post in this thread.
20201006_102441.jpg
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Sailman, that looks like the right stuff to me. I get my Mestermacher rye from Whole Foods & it looks just like your pics. 500g per package. Heavy, dense rye bread.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

OK thanks
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Question for those that have done this recipe and also an all rye grain how the two compare in taste. I make a AG malted rye that I really like and was wondering how the rye bread compares.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Bushman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:55 am Question for those that have done this recipe and also an all rye grain how the two compare in taste. I make a AG malted rye that I really like and was wondering how the rye bread compares.
+1 to this question!

FYI I'm on Gen 5 of my ORB recipe and loving it. :thumbup: Great results from both my 2L barrel & also oak cubes/spirals in Gen's 2-4.
Scorpster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Scorpster »

I've had three successful batches of ORB whiskey, first two were a hit with others and now have 21L turning 8 months old which is even better than before. I've had a couple tries at an allgrain rye using malted rye, always a disaster, so gooey that it just foams up during ferment, plugged my airlock and the pressure bent the wire latches holding the lid on, muck everywhere. As far as taste it's far more spicy than the ORB, think if I want to try it again my typical process would need a lot of adjustment. Maybe start at 50% rye and work up, just like I did with my bourbon. I've only used the "real" long cooked rye bread, known as pumpernickel here. I'm sure that makes a huge difference as it has a much stronger taste than the ordinary rye bread shown in recent posts.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

I'm going to try making this with a rye bread we can get locally:
DIMPFLMEIER 100% Rye bread with whole grain
https://www.zehrs.ca/Food/Bakery/Packag ... 0013965_EA

Ingredients:
ORGANIC WHOLE RYE FLOUR, ARTESIAN SPRING WATER, SOUR DOUGH (ORGANIC WHOLE RYE FLOUR, ARTESIAN SPRING WATER), ORGANIC RYE GRAIN, SEA SALT CONTAINS RYE.
20013965_lrg_1_@1x.jpg
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

So I made this today. I intended to double the recipe.
So I added 4kg of rye bread (4 loaves of the DIMPFLMEIER rye with whole grain, 3 loaves of their rye with flax seed, and 2 of a cocktail pumpernickel.
All were only Rye flour/meal/grain, with a bit of flaxseed on the one, and then salt/water/sugar.

So 4kg of that, 9 kg of white sugar, put that in the pot at room temperature with 3 gallons RO water, heated to boil, added half packet of 1118 yeast for Vitamin B, let boil 5 minutes, turned off.
Dumped all this into a 20 gallon brute, topped up with another 7 gallons of water. So I have now about 13 gallons including the mostly disolved bread.
OG is only 1.060, so won't yield 10%, more like 7.5-8%, which is fine.
Added 9g DAP, then 2 packets 1118 yeast, and 5g of bakers yeast.

I also made a rum today, they are now nestled side by side in my garage, with a sleeping bag over them, and a seedling heat mat between them to keep them warm (only 6-7 C degrees outside).
---
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Mine is done fermenting (been very cool here).
Wondering how others have separated the mush from the wash?
Normally if I ferment on the grain, I load it all into my wine press, but this is far to broken down for that. Maybe stick a nylon brew bag over a racking cane, or similar? Or I guess I could distill on the bread (gas), but I'd be worried about scorching.
---
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Getcha’ paint strainer bag and a 5 gallon bucket. Pour your ferment through the bag, collecting the clean-ish wash in the bucket. Squeeze the mush slightly and then dump in the trash (or feed your pigs with it). You may need to do this straining a few times depending on how big your wash is.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:31 pm Mine is done fermenting (been very cool here).
Wondering how others have separated the mush from the wash?
Normally if I ferment on the grain, I load it all into my wine press, but this is far to broken down for that. Maybe stick a nylon brew bag over a racking cane, or similar? Or I guess I could distill on the bread (gas), but I'd be worried about scorching.
I haven't bothered with it, I've just been pouring it out and I'm on my fourth generation.