Geo-tagging - PLEASE READ

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Geo-tagging - PLEASE READ

Post by Yummyrum »

Yonder wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:37 pm Well folks let me kick this oldie. I was a forensics expert in a prior life and taught classes in using things on electronics people just didn’t know about. Yes geo tagging is real. Yes, I could take your phone and map every where you’d been. Yes, when you delete things they aren’t really gone, just no longer indexed. I once took a computer that had crashed, had Windows reinstalled and recovered over 7000 pictures from it. If you’re concerned, remove the metadata before posting but, really, if someone wanted to locate you from your posts They could do so but, seriously why would they bother? Heard of any crackdowns on utube posters distilling on camera? The last “moonshine” arrest in my state was ‘14 when some ass set up AND sold next to a high school. Don’t be a fool, don’t piss off your ex or your neighbors. Hell, they don’t even go after thieves anymore. You’re worth a couple of tax bucks to the government.
Thanks for keeping it real and in perspective Yonder . :thumbup:
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Yonder wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:37 pm Hell, they don’t even go after thieves anymore.
Well that depends specifically on you're complexion :shh:
Hapican
Novice

Post by Hapican »

Yonder wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:37 pm Well folks let me kick this oldie. I was a forensics expert in a prior life and taught classes in using things on electronics people just didn’t know about. Yes geo tagging is real. Yes, I could take your phone and map every where you’d been. Yes, when you delete things they aren’t really gone, just no longer indexed. I once took a computer that had crashed, had Windows reinstalled and recovered over 7000 pictures from it. If you’re concerned, remove the metadata before posting but, really, if someone wanted to locate you from your posts They could do so but, seriously why would they bother? Heard of any crackdowns on utube posters distilling on camera? The last “moonshine” arrest in my state was ‘14 when some ass set up AND sold next to a high school. Don’t be a fool, don’t piss off your ex or your neighbors. Hell, they don’t even go after thieves anymore. You’re worth a couple of tax bucks to the government.

Well said, thank you. Being I'm studying to be a pen tester, if they wanted anyone here there is SO MUCH that could be found out with a simple site crawler... I don't personally see the need to scrub my posts and constantly run a VPN ... But by the same token, I dont have a location tag turned on either.
Just being me ~
They'll adjust.
Då Håpî life is good.