Old wine - brandy or spirit?

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Warthaug
Novice

Old wine - brandy or spirit?

Post by Warthaug »

We make a fair bit of wine, and recently found some old white wine (2016 & 2018 vintage) that is no longer good. It's fairly oxidized, and a bit acidic. I normally distill wine/Mead's/beers that I mess up to near-azeotrope, to make clean spirit for gin. But in this case this isn't something I messed up, and instead is just old. Do you think it may distill into an OK brandy, or should I just aim for a "clean" spirit?

Edit: to clarify, I have a pot still and a Boka that produces a very clean distillate. I'm trying to decide if I want to pot-still it to a brandy, or if that would be unlikely to produce something good. If it isn't going to work I'll just Boka it to make clean spirit for gin or other projects.
Brewer for decades, dabbler in distilling trying to get better at the craft.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Old wine - brandy or spirit?

Post by Demy »

I recommend creating a brandy, often an excellent brandy is made from a bad wine. If you don't like it, you dilute it and distill it again to a neutral.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've never distilled oxidized wine, but If I did, I would double distil it in the pot and if that didn't work out, then put it through the Boka.

The middle of the strips might tell you if it isn't worth a spirit run in the pot.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Demy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:27 pm I recommend creating a brandy, often an excellent brandy is made from a bad wine. If you don't like it, you dilute it and distill it again to a neutral.
I have some bad stuff too. Sour vinegary tasting. Hoping to salvage. It's only 6months old. Made from local wild grapes and ec1118. I was told it won't get any better with age. So Brandy it is
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Demy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:27 pm I recommend creating a brandy, often an excellent brandy is made from a bad wine. If you don't like it, you dilute it and distill it again to a neutral.
That's what I was thinking also.
Before redistilling with reflux, maybe save some of the hearts cut to keep, maybe not. :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Oxidized wine does have it's uses, so check that it doesn't have an interesting use before you distill all of it.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

I'd definitely try to turn some into vinegar for cooking.

I do that with cider and it's a lovely vinegar.
Make Booze, not War!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Oxidized and vinegar are not the same thing.
I have aged product in my drinks cabinet that is oxidized but is not vinegar.
I have aged vinegar in my pantry that is oxidized.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

NZChris wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:32 pm Oxidized wine does have it's uses, so check that it doesn't have an interesting use before you distill all of it.
Good idea
A quick search gave me a couple good uses.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

I had 6 gallons of Chardonnay that I left in a barrel for too long with too much headspace for 3 years and it oxidized in the barrel. It had an ok sherry note beginning to form, but I decided to go ahead and just make brandy. It’s been on oak in glass for about 6 months now. So far I’m pleased with the result.

I’ve done several other brandies, but never a Chardonnay so I can’t tell you how this is different from another Chardonnay, but I will say that this is developing into a nice rich white wine based brandy.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Warthaug
Novice

Post by Warthaug »

I ran a stripping run on roughly 14L of the old wine. Seems OK, but definitely needs another run through the pot still with cuts before I'll know if it was worth it.
Brewer for decades, dabbler in distilling trying to get better at the craft.