West Virginia makes it legal?

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

West Virginia makes it legal?

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Is this legit?
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: West Virginia makes it legal?

Post by greggn »

6 Row Joe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:39 pm Is this legit?

GIYF

By MetroNews Staff
January 24, 2024 - 3:04 pm

Story by David Beard, The Dominion Post

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The House of Delegates was unified on a list of bills and resolutions on Wednesday, except one promoting moonshine. The booze bill passed by just one vote.
Tom Fast

HB 4793, the moonshine bill, would allow home distilling of up to 25 gallons for one person age 21 and up in a household, or up to 50 gallons in a household with two or more of legal drinking age.

Judiciary chair Tom Fast, R-Fayette, has a been consistently opposed to booze bills in his 10 years in office. He said, “The Legislature in the past 10 years has just paved the way for more and more and more alcohol consumption and alcohol use.”

He spoke at length on the public health problems associated with alcohol and said the bill doesn’t fix any existing problems. “Let’s send it in the trash can where it belongs.”

Delegate Geoff Foster, R-Putnam, agreed with the intent of the bill but said the 50-limit was excessive, allowing the moonshiner to get drunk 267 times. “That’s a problem.”

The vote was 49-48 with two delegates absent, and it goes to the Senate.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Significant progress has occurred at great speed since Jan 24. HB 4793 passed both the Senate and the House and was forwarded to the Governor on March 9. IIRC, the Governor has 15d to approve/veto, and if he does nothing, the bill becomes law.

http://www.wvlegislature.gov/Bill_Statu ... btype=bill
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
JollyPirate
Novice

Post by JollyPirate »

The Governor signs (almost) everything that crosses his desk. It’s amazing that this bill ever came out of committee in our Senate… It’s been killed for 3 consecutive years.

When it first passed the house, the limit was 50 gallons per household. It has now been downgraded to 5 as an individual or 10 if both members of a couple distill.

I think if my wife helps drink it, that counts as helping, right?
ἓν οἶδα, ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

JollyPirate wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:36 am The Governor signs (almost) everything that crosses his desk. It’s amazing that this bill ever came out of committee in our Senate… It’s been killed for 3 consecutive years.

When it first passed the house, the limit was 50 gallons per household. It has now been downgraded to 5 as an individual or 10 if both members of a couple distill.

I think if my wife helps drink it, that counts as helping, right?
That and all she has to do is pour some grain into a fermenter, then give opinion on a cut or two. Way to go West Virginia
13.5g/50L keg
modular 3" pot/VM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
rickyaifd
Bootlegger

Post by rickyaifd »

UPDATE : I have been following this bill as it makes it way through the West Virginia legislature. It passed House and Senate and landed on Governor's desk for signature on March 21st. He has 15 calendar days, possibly excluding Sundays to sign the bill. So, we should see something definite by either April 5th if it is NOT excluding Sundays, or by April 8th if it is excluding Sundays. The version introduced limited to 25 and 50 gallons and the passed version limited to 5 and 10 gallons to be made each year.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

rickyaifd wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:54 pm UPDATE : I have been following this bill as it makes it way through the West Virginia legislature. It passed House and Senate and landed on Governor's desk for signature on March 21st. He has 15 calendar days, possibly excluding Sundays to sign the bill. So, we should see something definite by either April 5th if it is NOT excluding Sundays, or by April 8th if it is excluding Sundays. The version introduced limited to 25 and 50 gallons and the passed version limited to 5 and 10 gallons to be made each year.
Thanks for the update. Please keep.us posted
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Maybe.
Sometimes libertarian things happen by accident.
A long while back, making wine and beer became legal at the federal level.
Next step is for Homedistillers to be able to distill the beer and wine we can legally make.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

shadylane wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:55 pm
Maybe.
Sometimes libertarian things happen by accident.
A long while back, making wine and beer became legal at the federal level.
Next step is for Homedistillers to be able to distill the beer and wine we can legally make.
And that there is the whole joke of the matter .
I prefer to have my legally produced daily ration of Beer converted to Whiskey form .
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I don’t do Imperial well but 5 US gal = 18.92 litres .
A standard drink is 30ml @40% abv
I was wondering were they might have got the 5gal limit from .
My Gastro Surgeon recently told me that they have dropped the considered safe amount to drink to 2 standard drinks for 4 nights a week with three days abstinence. He said they had dropped it from 3 a night .

So 8 drinks a week = 12.8 litres a year .
3 drinks a night ( the old standard ) = 18.72litres a year .
Coincidence , or are they looking after your health . :ewink:

EDIT : I just queried my Surgeons numbers ( he’s an alcohol hater BTW)
All references I see online suggest max 10 standard drinks a week . Which works out to 15.6 litres per year .
So in that respect , the 5 gal is generous
:ebiggrin:
rickyaifd
Bootlegger

Post by rickyaifd »

UPDATE: Governor justice signed the bill and distilling your own alcohol becomes legal in West Virginia as of June 7th 2024. You can make up to 5 gallons per year if you are a single person over 21 in your home. If there are two or more people in your home over the age of 21, then you can make up to 10 gallons per year !!!
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Congratulations W Virginia!
13.5g/50L keg
modular 3" pot/VM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury