to strip or to spirit run?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: to strip or to spirit run?

Post by Steve Broady »

Not a bad looking setup, Titan. I’m sure you’ll refine it over time as your experience and equipment change. One observation I’ll offer is that I saw a DRASTIC improvement in speed (and quality, though that could be other factors) when I replaced that vapor tube with something larger and a condenser to match. I first moved up to 3/4” copper pipe, and then to 1.5” triclamp fittings. It’s a little work adding the appropriate fittings to the boiler, but well worth it.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’d suggest proofing down to 25-30%abv with fresh ferment and low wines if needed to get a full’ish boiler charge.

Cheers,
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

+1 there Jonnys

Titan- you’re running gas applying heat from the bottom so like Sporacle and Broady stated earlier if your charging with a small batch you’ll want to make some running calculations to ensure you don’t run completely dry. Good luck. Looking forward to hearing your opinion on double and single distillations :thumbup:

P.s. I believe there are calculations available within this site to help you determine what’s left in the boiler per your abv charge. Honestly I’m too lazy to look them up or do the math for you. Cheers
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Do as jonnys says, boiler charge at around 28% and you should be OK.
You'll be way into tails before anything goes dry.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm I’d suggest proofing down to 25-30%abv with fresh ferment and low wines if needed to get a full’ish boiler charge.

Cheers,
-jonny
+1
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”