Pot Still, alternative to copper tube.

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Godfather

Pot Still, alternative to copper tube.

Post by The Godfather »

I believe I have read that copper tubing might add "character" to the final product, however if i used rubber or plastic tubing would that affect the product badly, if so how bad?
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Let me be the first to introduce you to http://homedistiller.org onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Practically everything you ever wanted to know.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post by Guest »

i never used plastic but i hear certain types break down and end up in your product
pangea

Post by pangea »

I tried using Tygon around the top for a seal. The taste was awful! I don't know if it was the Tygon or just a bad mash.

Just curious, why wouldn't you use copper?

Post by Guest »

Grayson_Stewart wrote:Let me be the first to introduce you to http://homedistiller.org onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Practically everything you ever wanted to know.

i have been to that site many many times, yet i dont believe i found the answer to my question.
The Godfather

Post by The Godfather »

I have alot of unused fish tank tubing lying around so i thought i could make use of it. But i guess i will just stick to copper.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Anonymous wrote:
Grayson_Stewart wrote:Let me be the first to introduce you to http://homedistiller.org onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Practically everything you ever wanted to know.

i have been to that site many many times, yet i dont believe i found the answer to my question.
This is from the site:

Plastic
Plastic is basically fine at the low alcohol end (eg the wash, and even the diluted product), but if possible, try to avoid using it where it is likely to encounter strong alcohol. For alternatives, consider using copper tubing from the condensor to the collection jar, and using glass collection & storage jars.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

never

Post by Uncle Jesse »

never use plastic. never use pyrex. use stainless steel and copper.

copper removes some nasty stuff (sulfates) from the distillate on contact which improves the taste.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

never use pyrex
What?!? Pyrex is a wonderful type of glass. Given the choice between stainless steel and pyrex, I would say that pyrex is better in all aspects except being harder to work with(how's your glass blowing?), breakable, and expensive.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Same here...I thought pyrex was just glass that wasn't temperature sensitive.
MyDBear
Swill Maker

Post by MyDBear »

That would be fantastic ta have a full size still made from pyrex.

cept when it broke
Be Patient God aint finished with me yet
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

I have a complete still made from pyrex (boro-silicate) but the volume of the roundbottom flask is a problem ........

Bigger sizes are just too expesive to buy (expecially for a volume of 30-50 liter). Currently I have a 2 liter flask ........... I would even settle for a 5 or 10 liter flask for smaller liquer endeavors.......
LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Post by LeftLaneCruiser »

Pieterpost wrote:I have a complete still made from pyrex (boro-silicate) but the volume of the roundbottom flask is a problem ........

Bigger sizes are just too expesive to buy (expecially for a volume of 30-50 liter). Currently I have a 2 liter flask ........... I would even settle for a 5 or 10 liter flask for smaller liquer endeavors.......
Pietr,

Isn't it possible for you to buy an ordinary carboy for winemaking? They come around in sizes from 5 up to 50 ltrs.

Only problem i can think of is the connection between carboy and column. And maybe the heating will be problematic too..

KJH

Post by Guest »

LeftLaneCruiser wrote:
Pietr,

Isn't it possible for you to buy an ordinary carboy for winemaking? They come around in sizes from 5 up to 50 ltrs.

Only problem i can think of is the connection between carboy and column. And maybe the heating will be problematic too..

KJH

I was crazy enought to try heating a carboy with flame before....don't try it.
The Chemist
Trainee

pyrex

Post by The Chemist »

I'm all for Pyrex--depending on the desired results. I have a 25 liter setup, with an eight-foot column--serious pyrex!! It's great for cleaning up neutral spirits that we regularly use. It's kind of a pain in the ass (sticks up through the ceiling, into the second floor), but gives great results. If neutral spirits is what you want. If I wanted anything with flavor, I would certainly include some copper somewhere.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

no

Post by Uncle Jesse »

do not use pyrex. we had a thread on this on the old message boards but i can't find it. it is not glass and is not recommended for the purposes of beverage distillation.

copper and stainless steel only. it seems everyone wants to reinvent the wheel for some reason, but the fact is that stainless and copper are the only safe alternatives. not only that, but you must TIG weld them and feed in argon if you really want to make a food-grade container. if you don't TIG weld with argon in the container being welded, your welds will not be safe against contamination. anyone familiar with welding and flux will understand.

anyone remember the pyrex thread and how pyrex is made/what it contains?
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

Here's a site dealing with pyrex

http://www.bibby-sterilin.co.uk/interne ... TALN5HMJ6G

Pyrex is just a borosilicate glass that has a very low expansion cooeficient. So it doesn't shatter when quickly heat or cooled(within limits). One thing about pyrex is that most labware is made from it, and I would be hesitant to use any labware that wasn't brand new.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Oh, come on, Unk. Pyrex IS glass-a low-expansion, tempered borosilicate glass. I agree 100% that it should not be used for making whisky, rum etc., but that's a different matter. If using pyrex, you shouldn't use it over a flame, or any localized heat source. In my 25 liter rig, we use a boiling water bath.
Anyway, about TIG welding: I take your point Uncle Jesse, but has anyone tried "pickling" regular-welded seams? We do this on all our SS tanks
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

ok

Post by Uncle Jesse »

if you want to split hairs you can call it a type of glass. but that obfuscates the point - it is not glass as we normally think of glass. from the rest of your message i take it we agree. we've had people here trying to use pyrex and all manner of other materials before and in the interest of safety it's important that those of us with experience guide people in the right/safe direction.

what is "pickling" regular welded seams? not familiar with that term.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Right on, Uncle Jesse. Hopefully, I also speak for Yttrim in saying that we didn't mean to cyber-flog you. It's just that we chemists LOVE our pyrex!! The safety point is well taken--see Guest's post above. NEVER heat a carboy!
"Pickling" welded stainless is a process that restores the stainless properties to the chromium-depleted zone around the weld. We use a product from Avesta Welding called (not surprisingly) Pickling Paste. It's really nasty, containing flouric acid, and not for the faint-hearted (or the even somewhat careless). Contact with flouric acid in any amount requires an immediate trip to the hospital.
Firebaall
Novice

Re: pyrex

Post by Firebaall »

The Chemist wrote:I'm all for Pyrex--depending on the desired results. I have a 25 liter setup, with an eight-foot column--serious pyrex!! It's great for cleaning up neutral spirits that we regularly use. It's kind of a pain in the ass (sticks up through the ceiling, into the second floor), but gives great results. If neutral spirits is what you want. If I wanted anything with flavor, I would certainly include some copper somewhere.
Pics?
seedsprout

Re: no

Post by seedsprout »

Uncle Jesse wrote:do not use pyrex. we had a thread on this on the old message boards but i can't find it. it is not glass and is not recommended for the purposes of beverage distillation.

copper and stainless steel only. it seems everyone wants to reinvent the wheel for some reason, but the fact is that stainless and copper are the only safe alternatives. .....?
Uncle Jesse,
What about regualar glass isn't that safe to use? At this point I sure hope so otherwise I am in trouble!
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Sorry Firebaall, the boss says no pics on the web.
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: no

Post by Fourway »

Uncle Jesse wrote: anyone remember the pyrex thread and how pyrex is made/what it contains?
I remember this clearly and it was utter malarky.

It was a guy who said that he was a professional scientist and that harmful amounts of arsenic leach out of borosilicate labware.

When he was asked what kind of "scientist" he was he said that actually it was his friend who was a scientist who warned him about borosilicate glass.
When taken to task for further sources to back up his absurd claims he got hostile and called me and THM big doodyheads.

You shouldn't repeat every scary rumor you think you might have heard somewhere :) this is how urban legends get started.

If in fact Borosilicate glass was not food safe the makers of silex and cory vacuum coffee pots and chemex drip pots would have been ruined long before Mr.Coffee came along and put them out of business.
I believe Bodum still makes borosilicate coffeepots.

Big excellent glass condensers are still one of the safe, elegant choices for small libations stills... they're just prohibitively expensive and oh so easy to break. It hardly counts as reinventing the wheel to use labware.

The late John Stone (of Nixon-Stone) published a wonderful set of plans for building a scrubber packed glass reflux column where you can watch your vapor equilbrium directly (talk about eliminating guesswork).

Anyway... don't believe the hype.
Glass roolz.

As a matter of fact I think that the "scientist" in question might have been the original appearance of usarmy21 when he was trolling on the old board.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Doodyheads??? You two, along with Uncle Jesse and Grayson (Roll Tide BTW) have more sense and experience than probably the rest of us combined! Shame on fake scientists. Pyrex is absolutely safe.
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

The Chemist wrote:Doodyheads??? You two, along with Uncle Jesse and Grayson (Roll Tide BTW) have more sense and experience than probably the rest of us combined! Shame on fake scientists. Pyrex is absolutely safe.

sorry "called us doodyheads" is my shorthand for "resorted to childish name calling"
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

doody heads lol :D
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Jaxom
Swill Maker

Post by Jaxom »

I've been tossing around the idea of building a still from lab glass myself. One I do "smallish" batchs on before firing up my keg still. It may be wee bit expensive to do, but what the heck, would look nice in my home office! :)

This site has flasks that are up to 22L. http://www.qglass.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow I've also noticed they have two different types of reflux columns. One called Snyder the other is Vigreaux. Which is better? And what are those numbers after the lengths (24/40 or 29/42)?

Sidebar, I use to be able to view pictures on this website, now Internet explorer is recieving an error. Any ideas?

Jaxx
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

good work fourway! glad someone remebered that thread and can shed some light.

as for being a doodyhead, you can call me doodyhead if you wish.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

yep

Post by Uncle Jesse »

well, Cooter shouldn't have swiped that ole limo, but can you blame him? he never gets to see cars like that.