Absinthe: 19th Century French Botanical Amounts and Ratios

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Absinthe: 19th Century French Botanical Amounts and Ratios

Post by PLAYMP »

I'm planning out my next absinthe project and doing a lot of research into botanical bills and the like. I'm pursuing something that can pass for being authentic and true to history but also with my own little flare. With Gin I always found this particular thread incredibly helpful:

viewtopic.php?t=73049

For designing botanical bills it's a great opportunity to zero in on tried and true botanicals and ratios and I've been sort of looking for something like that to go off of for absinthe. Like most of us I'm happy to experiment but it's nice to have some grounding in a framework that I can work around so I'm not heading wildly off base.

My research has so far led me to the 1855 Duplais distilation manual which contains a few different absinthe recipes from around France at the time. They are published online here:

https://wormwoodsociety.org/duplais-dis ... -absinthe/

I've taken the recipes and created a spreadsheet for comparison, outlining the g/l of each botanical as well as the % of the total botanical bill for both maceration and coloration. Not sure if others would find it useful as I am so I thought I'd share it here:

If anybody has any observations that stand out, or other recipes to add, or bits of history that might be of note I'd be grateful and interested to hear all I can.