Southeast Meetup 2024

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Southeast Meetup 2024

Post by higgins »

bump ... only 2 months away
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I’ll be there, barring some disaster.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Just booked a room. Looking forward to seeing you all. Got a few things to bring, need to start figuring out what Abv I want to bottle at and begin diluting soon!
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Dougmatt wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:42 am ..need to start figuring out what Abv I want to bottle at and begin diluting soon!
I’m looking forward to finally meeting you. As for proof, my plan is to bottle it at full aging proof, and have some decent bottled water on hand to dilute as needed. That way, anything that doesn’t get consumed can go back into the barrel for further aging if I want.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:48 am
Dougmatt wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:42 am ..need to start figuring out what Abv I want to bottle at and begin diluting soon!
I’m looking forward to finally meeting you. As for proof, my plan is to bottle it at full aging proof, and have some decent bottled water on hand to dilute as needed. That way, anything that doesn’t get consumed can go back into the barrel for further aging if I want.

I’m looking forward to meeting you too! That’s a good idea around proof.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

rjhatl
Novice

Post by rjhatl »

Just saw this thread.. I'm interested in attending but need to think through my calendar a bit, I'm leaving for a rum distillery tour in the Caribbean later that week and need to make sure my travel works out.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

Thinking about what I'll bring this year.

My whiskies are all grain, all my own recipes, and I've never made a sugarhead. I don't do any of the stuff like apple pie or panty dropper. The only T&T recipe I've done is Shady's sugar shine (for neutral to make gin).

I've got at least a dozen candidates for the trip - 3 bourbons, 3 single malts, malt whiskey. Also 2 rums, 2 apple brandies, gin. How many would be too many? Any requests?

You might recall my '4 methods' experiment when I made 50 gallons of bourbon wash, then made bourbon 4 different ways (flute using wash, mix, LW, and pot). They have been in 4 qt badmos for 8 months, so I'll sample them to see if they are worth bringing.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

(I’m copying this from the old thread, where I posted it by mistake.)
This was posted in another thread, but I figured I’d bring it out and reply here.
Dougmatt wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:35 pm I’m looking forward to the meetup to see if anyone has UJ. I’m wondering if my process just created extra funk for some reason given how popular it is..
I’ll gladly bring some of mine that my wife and I have been enjoying. I haven’t made any UJSSM in quite a while, but what I have has been on oak or in a BadMo for something over a year, and I think it’s pretty good. I’ve been tempted to revisit it now that my skills and equipment have improved somewhat, just to see if I can do better.

This brings up an interesting point. I’ll try to bring a few things that I don’t think are exceptional, but are at least not bad, and maybe representative of what a rank amateur can do. It’s nice to be able to compare even the basic stuff, so that we’re not working in a total vacuum.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

higgins wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:15 am Any requests?
Your gin was exceptional in my opinion. Enough so that if it were available for sale, it would be one of two I would keep on hand all the time. Your high rye is also something I’ve been savoring and guarding jealously.
higgins wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:15 am You might recall my '4 methods' experiment … I'll sample them to see if they are worth bringing.
Please bring those! I’m very curious about that experiment.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Steve Broady wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:42 am
higgins wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:15 am Any requests?
Your gin was exceptional in my opinion. Enough so that if it were available for sale, it would be one of two I would keep on hand all the time. Your high rye is also something I’ve been savoring and guarding jealously.
higgins wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:15 am You might recall my '4 methods' experiment … I'll sample them to see if they are worth bringing.
Please bring those! I’m very curious about that experiment.
Yes. Please bring those. I’d love to try those expiremental runs. Been thinking about my next still and whether a bigger pot, or something to support a reflux head. I am going to probably bring at a minimum some rum (couple of different oaks / finishes), HBB (out of 2 different badmo barrels), some Chardonnay brandy, maybe a gin I just made if I like it and don’t drink it all (gin doesn’t stick around long!), and I have some older stuff I don’t like such as UJ and cornflake which I will probably bring and threaten people with. :lol: and try against yours Steve.

I also have some lemon wine finishing up I may try to get ready in case anyone wants to try it as a mixer. It’s great mixed with a fruit (especially strawberry) PD.

I’m currently running through a large batch of CROW and will have some still white or very young on oak. Might bring that too.

higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

This is another bump to try to get more people involved. It's now less than 2 months away, and I'm working on making up the samples I'll bring.

Send a PM to higgins, Steve Broady, or dougmatt to be added to the google group for private discussion of the meetup.
venkman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by venkman »

I made a reservation for the evening of April 23rd! Looking forward to meeting you all!.

I don't have much in the way of sharing, besides a wheated bourbon that's been aging all of a month and a half. I've tasted it and it's drinkable but not ready to showcase at all. I'm mostly excited to meet folks and participate in discussions and good fellowship.

Can't wait, guys!
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

Great to have you join us venkman. Sent you a PM.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

posting to keep this topic on the first page ...
Steve Broady wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:48 am ...
As for proof, my plan is to bottle it at full aging proof, and have some decent bottled water on hand to dilute as needed. That way, anything that doesn’t get consumed can go back into the barrel for further aging if I want.
I like to proof my product down to the strength that shows its best character - usually in the 90-100 proof range - and do it a week or more before planned consumption to give it time to 'marry' with the water.

There will be a LOT to sample - probably 20 or more between just me, Steve Broady, and dougmatt. I'm pretty sure, no, make that absolutely certain, that I can't handle drinking 20 oz of straight liquor in 1 evening. So I figure 1 oz per person, then make up 50% more. I will probably limit myself to 1/2 oz samples of most, and maybe a 2nd sample now and then. So far (5 people) that means about 7-8 oz of each product at the chosen dilution. Whatever doesn't get consumed will go on my shelf of drinking stock. But I also like to sample them at full proof, so will probably bring some of each at full proof as well, and those can go back into the aging vessel if not consumed.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Good point about giving the spirit time to rest after dilution. I might go ahead and make up a few bottles now. I need to refill my drinking stock of a couple things anyway.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

Bump ... 1 month away.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I’m looking forward to it! I’ve already got a few things bottles up and ready to go.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Hope you fellas have a ball .
First couple I went to I was like a kid in a Candy store .
I’s read all about this USSJM , never made it but wanted to try it . Then how did my Rum taste compared to others ?
Did everyone’s Rum all kinda taste the same but totally different to the shop bought stuff .

This guy Oaked in glass jars , that guy has a barrel .
This guy just bought along 5 samples of the same spirit aged with different wood .

Then just as put my glass down to have a sip of water , some other kind fella whips a glass into my hand and says “ have a go at this one “ .

Then there was the smart arse that didn’t label his almost 80% abv Rum .

And they wonder why I stagger around making a fool of myself .😆

Look after yourself and each other .
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:06 am And they wonder why I stagger around making a fool of myself .😆
Hell, Yummy, I can do that perfectly well sober!
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:06 am ...
First couple I went to I was like a kid in a Candy store .
I’s read all about this USSJM , never made it but wanted to try it . Then how did my Rum taste compared to others ?
I can identify with that!

I've never made UJSSM myself, but there should be at least 2 there, and I've got at least 6 AG whiskies to share. I'll also have a couple of rums and brandies, a gin or two, and one of my experiments (4 methods, aging proof). We have at least 4 people who have reserved rooms, so we should all have plenty of opportunity to make fools of ourselves :D

I'm sure glad we decided to do hotel rooms for the night :clap:
Yummyrum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:06 am ...
Look after yourself and each other .
Thanks, Yummy. I'm sure we will all make sure the others get safely to their rooms at the end of the night if necessary.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

From the Freedom Bourbon thread:
higgins wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:15 am TB, this is not the first time I've seen you recommend S-04. I have always liked it for making English ales, but have not yet used it for a whiskey. It is a more fruity yeast, so may do well in a bourbon. I use a yeast from Wilderness Trail (Ferm Solutions FSI-917) on my bourbon and I like the results, but I may need to try S-04.
I’m bringing a sample of a bourbon that I’ve been working on, which I started about a year ago with S-04 yeast. It’s been propagated since then, though I think I did add a second packet at one point maybe 6 months ago. So by now, it’s probably more S-oteric than S-04, but maybe you’ll be able to get a hint of the effects from it.

Speaking of yeast, does anyone need some? I bought way too much, so at this point I have the aforementioned S-04, EC-1118, DADY, Still Spirits rum yeast, and Red Star bakers yeast. I’m happy to share if anyone needs some. Just let me know so that I know to bring it.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

Steve Broady wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:31 pm ...
Speaking of yeast, does anyone need some? I bought way too much, so at this point I have the aforementioned S-04, EC-1118, DADY, Still Spirits rum yeast, and Red Star bakers yeast. I’m happy to share if anyone needs some. Just let me know so that I know to bring it.
How timely! I've been thinking about a new experiment for a while now - I want to compare the effects of yeast choice in a whiskey.

I'd like to get some DADY and S-04 (just 10-15 gr each) to round out my yeast selection.

Details later ...
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

higgins wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:13 pm I'd like to get some DADY and S-04 (just 10-15 gr each) to round out my yeast selection.
They’re all yours. I’ll bring a few packets of the S-04, and I’ve still got most of a 500g container of DADY, so I’ll gladly pull you off as much as you like.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

Bump ...

Its looking more and more like this will be a group of just 3 or 4 folks, but hoping some more join in at the last minute.

PM me to be added to the mailing list.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

If it’s a small group, at least we’ll be able to enjoy some more in depth conversation. I learned a good bit last year, and look forward to the same this year.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

viewtopic.php?p=7781622#p7781622

Cross linking these posts. If anyone wants anything from Mexico, let me know. I will try to grab it before I leave this weekend. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I don’t know what you can get into your luggage, but I would love to try racilla and maybe any mescal that you recommend for someone inexperienced with the spirit.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:36 am I don’t know what you can get into your luggage, but I would love to try racilla and maybe any mescal that you recommend for someone inexperienced with the spirit.
Ok. Let me see if I can find a good bottle of Raicilla somewhere to buy and I will grab it. Here’s a good and simple article on the different agave / mezcal named spirits: https://cheersonline.com/2017/04/12/wha ... and-sotol/

venkman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by venkman »

Gentlemen, this is me confirming my attendance! I cleared all the hurdles in scheduling and more importantly cleared it with the boss lady.

I don't have a lot to share. I have a bit of Jimbo's Wheated Bourbon that made it to oak right around the new year, so it's young yet. But I am excited to meet a few of you and talk shop!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Looking forward to meeting you, venkman! It’s looking like it will be a small event, but an interesting and dedicated group of guys nonetheless.