first all grain fermentation failed to launch

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Manic Mechanic
Novice

Re: first all grain fermentation failed to launch

Post by Manic Mechanic »

Wow, I am stoked. Thanks for the tables. I am fermenting on grain with GA. Starting SG was 1.058. 60 hours later at 85 degrees the SG is .992, smells great, tastes a bit sour compared to UJSM wash but I don"t know what a bourbon wash should taste like. I get a hint of corn and rye but nothing offensive. I will strain it tomorrow morning and and let it settle out for 2 days at 85 degrees. Thursday stripping run and try to reproduce this wash in the afternoon.
Thanks to all who have helped me do a successful (hopefully) first all grain mash on the second try!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Manic Mechanic wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:01 am Wow, I am stoked. Thanks for the tables. I am fermenting on grain with GA. Starting SG was 1.058. 60 hours later at 85 degrees the SG is .992, smells great, tastes a bit sour compared to UJSM wash but I don"t know what a bourbon wash should taste like. <— “sour” like a lemon drop means the sugars are gone, ie - done.

I get a hint of corn and rye but nothing offensive. I will strain it tomorrow morning and let it settle out for 2 days at 85 degrees.<— If you chill it down, the yeast will flocculate and settle quicker. It’ll clear faster that way.
Also, the flavors will “re-appear” in the spirit when it ages a while, ie - a year, or more.

Thursday stripping run and try to reproduce this wash in the afternoon.

Thanks to all who have helped me do a successful (hopefully) first all grain mash on the second try!
Here’s a hint - let it settle for a couple of weeks and it will clear much better. I’ve let ferments rest for a month or 2 after termination before racking off the trub. The beer is much clearer. So, be patient.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Manic Mechanic
Novice

Post by Manic Mechanic »

how cold to chill it? 65 degrees ion basement, 45 constant in garage
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

When you added corn did you cook it till it gelatinised?
Manic Mechanic
Novice

Post by Manic Mechanic »

I used flaked maze with alpha amylase and it thinned down nicely.
I took still stirrin advice and parked strained wash for a week and a half. Stripped it today (about 5-3/4 gallons) and pulled 3400 Ml at 46%. ran it down to 25%. Just a hint of cloudiness on the back half. Smelled good no off flavor.
Just need 5 or 6 more for a spirit run.