Tilt/Pill SG readings?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bobpratl
Novice

Tilt/Pill SG readings?

Post by bobpratl »

Is there anything that can be added to the shell, of a Wi-Fi floating hydrometer, that helps in preventing the mash from sticking during fermentation?
Maybe a anti stick compound or a floating fence to keep the grains off the shell.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Tilt/Pill SG readings?

Post by OtisT »

bobpratl wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:40 am Is there anything that can be added to the shell, of a Wi-Fi floating hydrometer, that helps in preventing the mash from sticking during fermentation?
Maybe a anti stick compound or a floating fence to keep the grains off the shell.
Now that is something I have never heard of.

I don’t think that a floating fence will work because a grain cap will push the sensor up and out of the liquid. A screen cage/fence attached to the side of your fermenter may work. Of course, it’s only the big chunks of grain you would be preventing from sticking. The mash is still likely going to leave a ring of schmutts on that thing.

What does this thing look like? If the sensor sticks out, maybe a ziplock bag around everything but the sensor? This also may not work due to the grain cap forming.

You may just have to get up out of your Lazyboy and check the SG manually once and a while. :wink:
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Frankly I don't think you need that.....it's a contraption used in homebrewing and I've read about some having problems too..for our hobby just open it up and take a look at the fermenter.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Tilt-like devices will just not work well with off-grain ferments. You best hope would be to use a large hops tube to create a grain free portion but it would have to be wide enough to allow the tilt to move freely and fixed vertically to prevent it from floating up with the grain cap. Save it for sugar washes or off-grain ferments.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

Agree 100% with Normandie, wrong tool for an on grain ferment.

Having said that, if you really want to give it a go, google “hop spider”. They are a fine meshed ss cylinder that hangs over the edge of your vessel.

Cheers
bobpratl
Novice

Post by bobpratl »

GrumbleStill wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:37 am Agree 100% with Normandie, wrong tool for an on grain ferment.
Having said that, if you really want to give it a go, google “hop spider”. They are a fine meshed ss cylinder that hangs over the edge of your vessel.
Cheers
That should work, I'll give it try on my next run.
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

bobpratl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:04 am
GrumbleStill wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:37 am Agree 100% with Normandie, wrong tool for an on grain ferment.
Cheers
:thumbup: Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
bobpratl
Novice

Post by bobpratl »

GrumbleStill wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:20 pm
Cheers
:thumbup: Let us know how it goes.
Cheers
I also agree that an all grain ferment will not work well with a floating hydrometer, but it does work great with a cleared and filtered mash.
I went ahead and ordered an 84 x 148 mm hop basket, from China, to give it a try.