From Distillers Wiki
- Sugar molecules are formed from carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen by the process known as photosynthesis. Yeasts convert sugar molecules into alcohol and carbon dioxide by means of a simple enzymatic action. There are many forms of sugar and the name the whole family is known under is saccharide.
Some common sugars are:
- Sucrose (table sugar), C12H22O11
- Fructose (fruit sugar), C6H12O6
- Lactose (milk sugar), C12H22O11
- Glucose (simple sugar), C6H12O6
It is also possible to ferment lactose, but special lactose fermenting yeast must be used. This type of yeast is very uncommon.