Search found 575 matches

by Aidas
Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:19 am
Forum: Off-Topic Discussion
Topic: Prayers wanted
Replies: 219
Views: 12697

Re: Prayers wanted

Husker, you and yours are in my prayers.

Aidas
by Aidas
Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:26 am
Forum: Flavoring and Aging
Topic: Question on oaking
Replies: 7
Views: 1292

Re: Question on oaking

I age at drinking strength (40% for me). Very happy with the results.

The above advice is right on -- experiment - you'll find what you like.

Aidas
by Aidas
Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:13 am
Forum: Novice Forum Graveyard
Topic: distilling beer
Replies: 11
Views: 1182

Re: distilling beer

It's done in Germany (in Kiel at the Kieler Brauerei, at least). It's an acquired taste, to say the least. One shot is OK, two shots is enough. 3 tastes pretty bad.

Aidas
by Aidas
Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:42 am
Forum: Beer, and Wine
Topic: Apple Wine!
Replies: 11
Views: 2897

Re: Apple Wine!

I have just aquired 5 gallons of Apple Wine and dont really care for it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do with it to make it a little more appealing? It is very dry, strong and not as sweet as I had hoped for! I wonder if ggrechseski ever did anything with his wine? ...
by Aidas
Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:59 am
Forum: Novice Forum Graveyard
Topic: newbie-apple brandy aging?
Replies: 5
Views: 1913

Re: newbie-apple brandy aging?

You'll be happy if you go with toasted oak. As everyone else is saying, it's "to each his own" when it comes to strength at ageing. I age everything at 40%, and am very happy with the results. If I were you, I would age part of it at 40% and another part of it at a higher proof -- this is if you're ...
by Aidas
Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:43 am
Forum: Flavoring and Aging
Topic: Anybody Ever Notice This With Distilled Water?
Replies: 11
Views: 1881

Re: Anybody Ever Notice This With Distilled Water?

It's never happened to me before either.
by Aidas
Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:22 am
Forum: Beer, and Wine
Topic: Apple Wine!
Replies: 11
Views: 2897

Re: Apple Wine!

ggrecheski wrote: It is very dry, strong and not as sweet as I had hoped for!
Not a word about it tasting bad. Simply not to his liking. :)
by Aidas
Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:15 am
Forum: Recipe Development
Topic: Gooseberry and Currant
Replies: 10
Views: 2483

Re: Gooseberry and Currant

myles wrote: I havent yet tried adding tomato paste to the fruit recipe but will try that too.
Why would you?

Aidas
by Aidas
Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:35 pm
Forum: Beer, and Wine
Topic: Apple Wine!
Replies: 11
Views: 2897

Re: Apple Wine!

Distill it into neutral spirit... 8) If the wine doesn't taste good then simply making it into brandy won't be any more appealing... What's your logic? Distilling what he's got is going to (most likely) make a wonderful apple brandy (i.e. calvados). Distill it. You won't be dissappointed. Aidas
by Aidas
Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:28 pm
Forum: Recipe Development
Topic: Gooseberry and Currant
Replies: 10
Views: 2483

Re: Gooseberry and Currant

I know that gooseberries make a wonderful white wine - you pretty much can't tell it from a good chablis. Try Jack Keller's home winemaking website for recipes. However, for distilling, I would simply crush and ferment. I'm convinced that a high acid must is in fact better for distilling, so don't w...
by Aidas
Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:15 am
Forum: Novice Forum Graveyard
Topic: Making a Brandy Advice Please
Replies: 3
Views: 533

Re: Making a Brandy Advice Please

I make a fair bit of grape brandy and always use pre-bottled wine. I don't know how aged wine compares with young wine, but white wine makes a better brandy than red. blanik I've made brandy with new and aged wine and didn't note any difference. Also, I've made brandy with white and red grapes. Tra...
by Aidas
Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:13 am
Forum: Novice Forum Graveyard
Topic: Making a Brandy Advice Please
Replies: 3
Views: 533

Re: Making a Brandy Advice Please

I would do both.

Just to prove to myself that aged wine doesn't make a better brandy. :)

Aidas
by Aidas
Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:42 am
Forum: Distilling News
Topic: Support Popcorn Sutton
Replies: 62
Views: 9586

Re: Support Popcorn Sutton

your mind dont mean a dam thang when the law gets involved. so im tole Actually Goose, you're wrong. The law most often takes into account mens rea , i.e. the state of mind during the execution of the crime. In any case, I do think there's a significant difference between those of us who are distil...
by Aidas
Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:54 pm
Forum: Flavoring and Aging
Topic: Flavoring
Replies: 16
Views: 2134

Re: Flavoring

After I got hooked on this craft, did some experimentation, I stopped trying to compare (or make) stuff to commercially available. For two reasons: primary -- we're making better stuff than the big guys do; and second - we have the opportunity to fine tune our product. Therefore, I suggest getting p...
by Aidas
Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:07 pm
Forum: Flavoring and Aging
Topic: Flavoring
Replies: 16
Views: 2134

Re: Flavoring

Bad cuts.
by Aidas
Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:06 pm
Forum: Flavoring and Aging
Topic: Irish Whskey
Replies: 14
Views: 2288

Re: Irish Whskey

Old sherry cask?
by Aidas
Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:12 am
Forum: Recipe Development
Topic: Apple Whiskey
Replies: 20
Views: 3075

Re: Apple Whiskey

aidas what your ph runin . theses ole boys got bout 3.9 - 4.0 ph . so im tole Truth be told, I've never checked the ph. Obviously it's pretty acidic. The reason I've never checked isn't just laziness, it's also a bit of hat-tipping to old fashioned artisanal calvados making. I want to be able to ma...
by Aidas
Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:18 pm
Forum: Recipe Development
Topic: Apple Whiskey
Replies: 20
Views: 3075

Re: Apple Whiskey

I'll vouch for the idea of going natural. I've done a number of batches au naturel (no added sugar) and some with sugar added. The no-sugar added are head-and-shoulders better than the other. Also, don't bother with freezing or boiling. I've done the gamut (except freezing) -- campden tablets, boili...
by Aidas
Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:43 am
Forum: Off-Topic Discussion
Topic: Ranks
Replies: 20
Views: 1609

Re: Ranks

Gooseye already has his own rank: gooseye. I have no doubt there's many of us out there trying to get to that level. :)

Aidas
by Aidas
Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:24 am
Forum: Novice Forum Graveyard
Topic: Why do we care?
Replies: 13
Views: 925

Re: Why do we care?

A hydrometer is a tool that provides a lot of information, and the more information one has, the better the process is going to be, especially if you want to repeat a process that yielded especially good results. It may sound silly, but I've gone so far as to record room temperature and relative hum...
by Aidas
Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:50 am
Forum: Novice Forum Graveyard
Topic: ive been distilling my homemade wine
Replies: 10
Views: 1006

Re: ive been distilling my homemade wine

You really need to read more before you end up wasting your wine. If you're using a potstill, collecting the first 700 ml. is not going to do it. You need to toss the forst 50 ml. for sure, because that's the part with the highest concentration of nasties. If your wine is around 12%, I would suggest...
by Aidas
Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:03 am
Forum: Novice Forum Graveyard
Topic: Choosing Boiler Size
Replies: 5
Views: 604

Re: Choosing Boiler Size

I run a 20 liter copper alembic. So my washes are around 15 liters. I've never had any problems with cuts. For me it's the perfect size. My glass fermentation carboys are 20 liters, my ageing jars are 3 liters (pretty much the amount of product I get from each run), so it all works. I wouldn't go an...
by Aidas
Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:38 pm
Forum: Novice Forum Graveyard
Topic: Wood Ageing Woes
Replies: 99
Views: 5667

Re: Wood Ageing Woes

I too thnk you're using too much wood.

Try using 80 g. of toasted/cooked fingers per 3 liters. That's what I've been doing, and I'm very happy with it. I've also usd 40 g./3 liters and it's all good.

It's better to use too little than to go big.

Aidas
by Aidas
Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 pm
Forum: Flavoring and Aging
Topic: Time trials for UJSM oat whiskey
Replies: 51
Views: 10346

Re: Time trials for UJSM oat whiskey

I'm going to put it on charred oak to try and mellow it out a bit and check it every 30 days. Got a 5L barrel awaiting something to keep it wet. So if this batch works nice, you're going to barrel a new batch? That'd be interesting to do time trials too, and see how barrel ageing differs timewise f...
by Aidas
Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:48 am
Forum: Research and Theory
Topic: Still Spirits Air still
Replies: 23
Views: 34197

Re: Still Spirits Air still

It's just a repackaged EasyStill.

Do a search on the forum for Easystill, and you'll get all the info you need.

It's fine for potstilling (aside from the rubber seal and the plastic spout), but it will NOT make a neutral.

Aidas
by Aidas
Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:24 am
Forum: Off-Topic Discussion
Topic: Dumb ass busted for shine (and other stuff)
Replies: 10
Views: 970

Re: Dumb ass busted for shine (and other stuff)

Uncle Jesse wrote:
Klansmen smoke pot? I find that odd.
Maybe it's just a way to finance the guns, the hate literature and the recruitment parties... hell, bedsheets are getting expensive these days... :shock:

Aidas
by Aidas
Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:21 am
Forum: Off-Topic Discussion
Topic: Shine on a plane?
Replies: 22
Views: 2180

Re: Shine on a plane?

Well, I assume that the rules in the States are similar or harsher than those we have in the EU, so taking any liquid(other than small bottles in a plastic bag, or tax-free in a sealed bag) into the cabin is totally out of the question. However, I don't see any reason why one couldn't take it in you...
by Aidas
Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:29 pm
Forum: Sugar
Topic: Cachaca
Replies: 84
Views: 18384

Re: Cachaca

The Chemist wrote:Does anyone know what "51" signifies? It is used on many brands.

I'm pretty sure that it harks back to strength. Cachaca used to be used a little stronger than most drinks, i.e. 51% ABV.

Aidas
by Aidas
Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:23 pm
Forum: Recipe Development
Topic: The secret of Slavs - NALEWKA
Replies: 5
Views: 2717

Re: The secret of Slavs - NALEWKA

heksa wrote:Are you wondering what the nalewka is??
Actually, no, I wasn't wondering. ;)

If it was a secret, it's been out a long time, longer than the slavs have been distilling.

This is a simple maceration, and can be done on pretty much anything.

Best,

Aidas
by Aidas
Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 pm
Forum: Grains
Topic: Buckwheat
Replies: 45
Views: 11320

Re: Buckwheat

My thoughts exactly. However, I have never used enzymes and still have not, as they're not readily available here in Lithuania (only in serious industrial quantities), and I simply haven't really had the need to order them off the net. One of these days I am going to get some and play with 'em. I gu...