Packing Material

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Packing Material

Post by cob »

I came across ceramic pie weights. ceramic marbles.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... ie-weight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

prices vary with vendors, many vendors on the net.

looks like a couple different sizes. more expensive than marbles and less than SPP.

just one more possible option.
be water my friend
Inbredmonkey
Novice

Post by Inbredmonkey »

Old thread I know, reviving it to see if anyone has tried the Growstones. Copper mesh and alternatives are too costly atm. Lava rocks are oddly hard to come by here.But I do have access to some growstones. I have considered perlite as well.. Anybody try either?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Inbredmonkey wrote:...anyone has tried the Growstones....Lava rocks are oddly hard to come by here...
It’s new to me actually. But a quick internet search shows that the GS-1 product is very similar to scoria (lava rock) except that it is made from recycled glass. So, it seems that if the price is right and it is available where you are, that it would be worth a try.

Don’t underestimate the advantage of copper in your vapor path, but as a reflux packing, the Growstone material looks like it would be effective. The key to effective column packing is the surface area exposure along with the ability to transfer the heat from rising hot vapors into the settling condensate. This generates the reboiling conditions (reflux) necessary to separate the fractions. Since the Growstone will hold up liquids in its pores, it allows transfer of the heat causing the reflux action. Scoria is good at this too and the similarity of products makes it a sensible solution.

Go for it...and report back. There has not been much discussion of this material, mostly due to it being a relatively new (and environmentally green) product.

Good luck.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Inbredmonkey
Novice

Post by Inbredmonkey »

Thanks for the response!
I'm building a 5 foot copper boka. I ended up a little bit of copper mesh also,but I'm going to give the growstones a shot for most of the column . I'll post back after a few runs :thumbup:
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Speaking of making SPP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEjic5SgiU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

:esurprised:
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

So curious.

Stainless or copper for SPP?