Split/Double column 2"x2 = 4"?

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Merle
Novice

Split/Double column 2"x2 = 4"?

Post by Merle »

I just got a full size keg and I'm going to be building a new still. I want to go with a 4" column but geeze it's hard to find supply's and very expensive. I was thinking what if I did a y pipe going to 2 2" columns would that not give the same benefits or close to having a 4"?
20210414_210054.jpg
RC Al
Swill Maker

Re: Split/Double column 2"x2 = 4"?

Post by RC Al »

No, 2x 2" is only about 1/2 of a 4" in area.

You will also get into dramas with reflux distribution and a tiny bit of subsequent smearing

Also the packing would have to be fairly structured ie marbles to keep things even
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Agree with RC Al .

You call it a column so that implies you are going to make a Reflux still in which case what RC was talking about will be a hard thing to balance the reflux so each packed column gets the same .

If however , you mean a Riser for a Pot still , then no drama . However , It seems like a lot of bother just to double the riser area . I doubt there will be any benefit .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

RC Al wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:24 pm No, 2x 2" is only about 1/2 of a 4" in area.

You will also get into dramas with reflux distribution and a tiny bit of subsequent smearing
still bad math 2" area is 3.1416 sq inches, 4" area is 12.5 sq inches. 3" is 7.1 sq inches.

having said that 2" is plenty for a keg
be water my friend
Merle
Novice

Post by Merle »

Alright thanks for the reply I am making a cm still so I guess it's back to the drawing board's. I might be able to get my hands on some stainless steel plate. Any issue with having a square column?
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

With a packed column, reflux distribution through the packing, which will end up with vapour bypass

With plates no issue
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Merle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:54 pm Alright thanks for the reply I am making a cm still so I guess it's back to the drawing board's. I might be able to get my hands on some stainless steel plate. Any issue with having a square column?
It will work for sure but not sure the vapor speed would not cause channeling away from the corners. Noone does it here that i know of you want to go first. Maybe if insulated enough it could be OK.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

As pointed out above, 3” is equal to 2, 2” and a 4” is equal to 4, 2”. Probably easier and cheaper to just go up in diameter than using multiple smaller tubes.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

What's wrong with starting with a 2" reflux round tube column.. and why build a square column..

Save yourself lots of headache, time and cost..

Why not start on the right foot..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Merle
Novice

Post by Merle »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:38 pm What's wrong with starting with a 2" reflux round tube column.. and why build a square column..

Save yourself lots of headache, time and cost..

Why not start on the right foot..

Mars
I already have a 2" and it works great only problem is that its really slow so it's hard to find the time to do a run. If I had something fast I would be able to run more often. This is my current set up
20210414_204038.jpg
Merle
Novice

Post by Merle »

I might just go 3" its affordable and a lot more obtainable. My understanding is that it should be double the speed of a 2"?
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Merle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:23 am I might just go 3" its affordable and a lot more obtainable. My understanding is that it should be double the speed of a 2"?
Output is double with 3” over 2” if you have the power required. You will need twice the power. The run won’t be half as long. Warmup and stabilization is the same amount of time.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Merle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:18 am I already have a 2" and it works great only problem is that its really slow so it's hard to find the time to do a run. If I had something fast I would be able to run more often.
What record do you want to establish..

Speed between a stripping run in a 3" vera a 2" is not much different on a 30L run.. as to a spirit run, find the time to do a 7 gal run vera a 13 gal.. and get a good product in doing so..

Yeah a 3" will be faster, but remember also, faster may not provide the quality that a slower run does..
Young at the hobby, but speed does not equate a good product..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

StillerBoy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:20 am
Merle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:18 am I already have a 2" and it works great only problem is that its really slow so it's hard to find the time to do a run. If I had something fast I would be able to run more often.
What record do you want to establish..

Speed between a stripping run in a 3" vera a 2" is not much different on a 30L run.. as to a spirit run, find the time to do a 7 gal run vera a 13 gal.. and get a good product in doing so..

Yeah a 3" will be faster, but remember also, faster may not provide the quality that a slower run does..
Young at the hobby, but speed does not equate a good product..

Mars
myself ascribe to slower is better. but a slow run on 3" is definitely faster than a slow run on 2" get a 3" if you can. and a boiler to match.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Setsumi wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:58 am but a slow run on 3" is definitely faster than a slow run on 2" get a 3" if you can. and a boiler to match.
Setsumi.. do you own a 2" and a 3"..

Yeah a 3" is somewhat faster in the body, but not by much over a total run when everything is equal..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Compared to a 2" column, a 3" can be run 2X faster
Or the 3 incher can be run at at the same speed as the 2" and give twice the quality.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Have a talk to your local scrappy. He might give you a call when he gets some 4" copper if you ask nicely.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

StillerBoy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:18 pm
Setsumi wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:58 am but a slow run on 3" is definitely faster than a slow run on 2" get a 3" if you can. and a boiler to match.
Setsumi.. do you own a 2" and a 3"..

Yeah a 3" is somewhat faster in the body, but not by much over a total run when everything is equal..

Mars
i ran 2" for a long time, then got a 3" and used the 2" reflux head on the 3". then i got 3" all copper with a 3" reflux section. then i built a 4" flute with 3" reflux. the i built my twins, 2 4" flutes. i geuss the answer is, yes.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Setsumi wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:01 pm i ran 2" for a long time, then got a 3" and used the 2" reflux head on the 3". then i got 3" all copper with a 3" reflux section. then i built a 4" flute with 3" reflux. the i built my twins, 2 4" flutes. i geuss the answer is, yes.
So after all those built, you are still chasing a holy grail still that will do the work for you..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

StillerBoy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:12 pm
So after all those built, you are still chasing a holy grail still that will do the work for you..

Mars
Setsumi's learning the art by building and doing. And he's nice enough to share :thumbup:
You should give it a try :lol:
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

StillerBoy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:12 pm
Setsumi wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:01 pm i ran 2" for a long time, then got a 3" and used the 2" reflux head on the 3". then i got 3" all copper with a 3" reflux section. then i built a 4" flute with 3" reflux. the i built my twins, 2 4" flutes. i geuss the answer is, yes.

Mars
? you are confusing building skills and experience with lazy. please do not bother to reply.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Artistic merit.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Some of the world's best innovations were inspired by, err, reluctance to do more than necessary.

Geoff
The Baker