extending column on a pot still

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

extending column on a pot still

Post by dunluce »

Hi all, I thought this should maybe go here, and I am not really looking for design info, but more on the "research and theory".
I have built a still very close to this one:
1-4743.jpg
I can run it with the thumper, but have also constructed it so that I can just attach the liebig to the second union and run it straight out of the boiler. Now, I have also made a bokakob in the last six months, and in doing so (because of how it was sold), I have about 6-7 feet of 2" copper left.

Is there any point in extending the column off the boiler but a few more feet (3' prob)? Do I gain anything from that, or just a more cumbersome still to set up? It is modular and great for different angles, so the height differences are not an issue.

If it's not worth it, then I want to come up with something else for that 2" piece of pipe that is currently just sucking up sulphur compounds from our fine fossil fuel air out here in Alberta. :)

Thanks.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: extending column on a pot still

Post by Deplorable »

6 feet of 2" will build a shotgun and a CCVM with 2X20" spools a RC housing, and still have some left over.
You wont gain anything adding height to the riser of a pot still, unless you're trying to get the height up so you can run the liebig at more of an angle.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Deplorable wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:35 pm 6 feet of 2" will build a shotgun and a CCVM with 2X20" spools a RC housing, and still have some left over.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that cooling is not an issue. 39" liebig, and a half tub of water doesn't warm up on a run hardly at all. Liquor is coming out cold.
You wont gain anything adding height to the riser of a pot still, unless you're trying to get the height up so you can run the liebig at more of an angle.
That's kind of what I was thinking. The angles aren't an issue right now, but it might be something I come across in a different configuration.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Anyone else have any suggestions for this piece of pipe? Some other kind of still or modification to make?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

dunluce wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:43 pm Anyone else have any suggestions for this piece of pipe? Some other kind of still or modification to make?
For now, put the copper pipe aside. :wink:
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

shadylane wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:22 pm For now, put the copper pipe aside. :wink:
:lol: It's been calling my name for about 4 months now when I go to the garage.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

re-read Deplorable's suggestion.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Setsumi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:26 pm re-read Deplorable's suggestion.
Sh*t, thanks for catching that, Setsumi.

Deplorable, I apologize.....read the first bit of your message, got excited, jumped on my horse and rode off in all directions. :roll:

I will take a look into that. I don't know much about CCVMs, I will admit.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

dunluce wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:42 pm
Setsumi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:26 pm re-read Deplorable's suggestion.
Sh*t, thanks for catching that, Setsumi.

Deplorable, I apologize.....read the first bit of your message, got excited, jumped on my horse and rode off in all directions. :roll:

I will take a look into that. I don't know much about CCVMs, I will admit.
Since I couldn't attach a picture in the PM, here is my CCVM kit all broken down. My shotgun condenser with the extension is 0ver 40 inches long if you're worried about getting away from your propane burner. There is just under 6 feet if 2 inch pipe here.
20210307_154346.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Nice Deplorable....definitely a modular rig. Appreciate the help and suggestion.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

6 feet of 2 inch copper makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck! Have fun with it...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Hambone wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm 6 feet of 2 inch copper makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck! Have fun with it...
Had to buy it in a bulk length, and was none too happy at the time. Now, it's been a good investment with the price of copper. :clap: