Column reduction sizing on production rates

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Column reduction sizing on production rates

Post by RockinRockies »

I got a screaming deal on an 8" column, which is insane, sure, but it was cheaper than similar 4" column so I couldn't pass it up. The problem is that the boiler top has 3 clasps instead of spool ferrule with tri fittings. It reduces from 8" to an adapter that is 4" back up to 8"

This column is heavy with 5 plates.

I have a few questions:
1. Will my production rates effectively be reduced to 4" because of that initial size reduction
2. I'm assuming on a 26 gallon boiler that I'll go through runs fairly quickly, so I will exchanging pint jars fairly rapidly

I've searched everywhere with the HD function but couldn't find this specific question answered. It's $600 to weld the two fittings together because it's stainless, which effectively offsets a good portion of what I've saved, and then defeats the point.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Column reduction sizing on production rates

Post by still_stirrin »

It’s your money….put it where you want.

Is it practical to use an 8” diameter column on a 26 gallon boiler…probably not. On a 200 gallon boiler (commercial producer and licensed), maybe. On a 26 gallon boiler, by the time you get the column loaded…your boiler will be dry.

Sometimes, “a bargain” isn’t a bargain….for a reason. Good luck.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

8" is gonna strip about 50-60LPH, like SS says on a small boiler it's not really practical.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

8” is going to be hard to load from a 26 gallon boiler. It may work but I expect it will run quickly. The best chance is to only load it with low wines. That will increase your alcohol available and get the column loaded. I ran a 6” over a 30 gallon boiler with low wines. Was an 8 ft packed column. Ran fine.

The other problem is getting enough power. 5kw is only 4.5 fps. Really need to be closer to 15-20kw to get the vapor speed into the range you want. That’s a lot of power at home.

In regards to your question on production, necking down and then up won’t effect production rate.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

HDNB wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:03 am 8" is gonna strip about 50-60LPH, like SS says on a small boiler it's not really practical.
Not with out a commensurate amount of heat input.
Production speed will be predicated upon heat input.

CaptainsHooch runs a 4" / 16 plate column on a small boiler. What is the total volume of liquid on 16 plates x 35 mm deep? What is the volume with 8" / 5 plates?

Can run a plate system with the widest operating range
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

I plan for the future with everything I do, so this seemed like a legit opportunity to me. I'll explain:

Thanks for all the input, I have two 5500 watt elements.
What I liked about it originally was the fact it was unused and I was able to almost barter for it with a client. I got the whole setup for $600 with pricing my parts at cost for the client. He said he should have went with a 6" column. Now I understand, but at the time it was such a ridiculous price I figured, what the heck. Worst case I'll be able to resell for what I paid.

I plan on opening a nano distillery and getting the application ball rolling within a month, once we finalize the transfer of my new property. I've been working on all the electrical plans and code requirements but I'm still way off. I need to run it by a professional.

My biggest concern now then since it won't affect the rate, is will that 4-in reduction be strong enough to hold the weight of that 8-in column, fully loaded, with the deflegmator? It's HEAVY!
IMG_20210618_202135452~2.jpg
That's all If I'm able to figure out a way to run it successfully? I suppose I could build some bracing on my concrete walls to support it

I'm assuming in the meantime I'm probably just going to have to run it short as a pot still, collect all my low wines, and then charge it for a spirit run which I was hoping to avoid. Last season I would spend over 65 hours total to make 5 gallons to fill the carboy at 60%. I'm done with that.

My plan, from some of the options I've seen, is to upgrade to a 53 gallon boiler WHEN (Not now, just so we're clear I'm within the bounds of this site) I build the commercial operation legitimately. I planned on running it twice daily, 4 days a week. In Colorado, I can distribute myself. We're trying to do this without taking loans, so I have to start small. Is that size still so too small to run an 8" column?

That's all we can afford without having to take loans, which would include the mash tun and stainless fermenters, electrical, water, etc. Building the Outbuilding. I've already done the math on a nano operation, which I would run 5 months out of the year during the offseason.

Also, I'm talking with folks in Flagler, Colorado because they offer incentives for free land to bring in business, vs my own land. Lots of research still to do before I take this legit, but I'm going to begin the process this year. I figured the 8" column would be a wonderful start.

I still don't regret the purchase
Last edited by RockinRockies on Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

HDNB wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:03 am 8" is gonna strip about 50-60LPH, like SS says on a small boiler it's not really practical.
Holy crap! Well I did intend on saving time on the still :crazy:
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I’d have some sort of support to hang some of the vertical weight from to minimize the risk of tipping…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Having been there and done that, I would go even bigger. A 50 something gallon still won’t make enough to let you make any $$. I would be looking at 300+ gallons. 2x per day runs are not practical. Several issues will prevent that if you are on city water and sewer. I started with a 15 gal and 120 gal. Needed to be a lot bigger. At the end of the day, it takes no more work to run 300 gal as it does 50. Just bigger equipment.

If you want to talk about what it really takes to make any money pm me and I will send you my #. You are on the right track to be getting used equipment. The guys who bought my distillery bought out a brewer at a tax sale. Got some nice big equipment cheap. That really helps make the numbers work.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

bluefish_dist wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:44 pm Having been there and done that, I would go even bigger. A 50 something gallon still won’t make enough to let you make any $$. I would be looking at 300+ gallons. 2x per day runs are not practical. Several issues will prevent that if you are on city water and sewer. I started with a 15 gal and 120 gal. Needed to be a lot bigger. At the end of the day, it takes no more work to run 300 gal as it does 50. Just bigger equipment.

If you want to talk about what it really takes to make any money pm me and I will send you my #. You are on the right track to be getting used equipment. The guys who bought my distillery bought out a brewer at a tax sale. Got some nice big equipment cheap. That really helps make the numbers work.
Awesome, thanks!
Will do