Alembic still question

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Alembic still question

Post by Full_moon »

I am considering getting an 8-10 gal. alembic still. My current set up is an 8 gal. SS milk can boiler with a copper 2 in. column and take off to a liebig condenser. no thumper.
I only make bourbons, all grain. corn, barley rye,wheat and the rest of my equipment is set up for about 6 gal. to my fermenter, a brewbucket 7 gal.
I do strip run and then product run. I would like to know if its worth changing to an alembic still would improve the end results all thing being equal.
2nd question, has anyone installed an electric heating element in an alembic still being it has such a rounded surface to the boiler.
Thanks, I appreciate your answers
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Alembic still question

Post by jonnys_spirit »

If an Alembic is interesting to you I'd recommend either a larger boiler or a smaller boiler. Your SS system will still be very useful and so will your alembic...

I have a 2.5g alembic for small batch spirit runs and a 16g copper boiler for strips and large batch spirit runs... I could maybe add an 8g boiler which would be useful or something like a 30g boiler which I feel would be too large for my needs but I could probably do a large single strip... Or I could add something like a 1-2 liter boiler for small macerated spirit runs but the 2.5g alembic already does that size quite well and it runs on a hotplate..

Just some thoughts on size!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I would be inclined to (and did) go the same route Jonnys recommended. A 2.5 gallon or so alembic would do a spirit run of a single strip from your milk can and let you experiment and find out if you like the alembic. Also nice for small gin runs if you're into that.

Keep the heat external if you want to distill on the grain or do gin with the botanicals in the boiler. I tried several hot plates but finally landed on the Cadco everyone raves about. It's worth the price, but others are available, just steer away from ones with sealed elements. Induction didn't work well for me either.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Put some copper pieces in the SS boiler and I doubt you'll notice any flavor advantage from being all copper.

I would spend the money on either a 32+ gallon fermenter for making a full charge of low wines from each ferment, or a 2.5 gallon Alembic which would double as a small batch gin still.
Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Full_moon »

Thanks for the replies. I never thought about the smaller alembic, but it does make sense. I allready have the Cadco hotplate. I will definately consider the smaller alembic
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I hope you got the right hotplate. The solid plates are cunningly designed to drive distillers nuts.
Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Full_moon »

I got the cadco KR1. I run it with a 110V temp. controller. 1ts 1500 W and been going now for over 4 yr. Mainly under my mash pot. I got older wiring in my garage and cant go much beyond that. Although i did run a 240V line out there for my 5500W element in my milk can boiler.