Oxy Clean?

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ginzo
Bootlegger

Oxy Clean?

Post by ginzo »

Does Ixy Clean do a good job of cleaning/sterilizing/xanitizing for homebrew? I would rather not use chlorine and the chemical cleaners offerred on most homebre sites seem awefully expensive. And, I suspect, some of them might just be Oxy gen blech powder with a different label and a higher price tag stuck on the box.

So far, I have been using Oxy Clean to clean everything before I mix it. Since I am just making mostly nuetral spirits, it is difficult to know how well it is working.

I am making a batch of root beer now which is generally unforgiving to bacteria so I guess that will let me know.

What are your experinces with santizing and sterilizing?
Do not speak- unless it improves on silence.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

I've always just used 3 ounces of clorox per gallon and let it soak for 45 minutes and then rinse well. Never had a problem with any nasties growing.

We use HTH pool chemicals to give a newly installed waterline a sterilization and the Department of Environmental Management never kicked back one of the required water samples afterwards for having any contamination.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
rectifier
Swill Maker

Post by rectifier »

I use soap to clean and sulfites to sterilise. I find throwing in some chopped up bits of a brillo pad with the soap really helps scrub any yeasty residue off the walls fast.
Sulfites are cheap, and you hardly need any to sterilise a carboy - just put in enough to cover the bottom, shake it well, cover it, and let it sit for awhile. Works fdr me.

Pretty much anything you want to use is fine as long as it rinses out well.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

Oxyclean is bascilly hydrogen peroxide which you can get a lot cheaper than Oxyclean.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner