Strength Of Craft Spirits

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Selby
Novice

Strength Of Craft Spirits

Post by Selby »

Hi, All, I haven't posted in quite awhile, but need some opinions. My friends & relatives love my bourbon but say they find it is not like a 40 % strength spirit ( which it is), & though they can get pleasently inebreated they say they could not get sloshed on it! Should I leave some of the methanol & heavy alcohols in like commercial spirits to give it some boot?
Thanks, Selby.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Strength Of Craft Spirits

Post by LWTCS »

Do they understand that your likker (with proper cuts) is much cleaner?

Do as you like but if it were me I'd just bring it up to 50 or 55 rather than leave in the heads funk.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

I had a similar problem last week.

Some folks said that it's missing a little power and they where right.

My alcohol meter said 43 ABV when I aligned to 40 ABV cause I have 30 C room temp.

I opened a commercial whisky and measured 46 when the label sais 40 ABV.

Now I align in 46 reading of the alc meter and all is fine. :)

I blend a small quantity of tails to get some additional flavor in it.

ADD: will get one of these alc meters with integrated temp meter with scale from 30 to 60 ABV for better reading of the final ABV.
http://www.brewhaus.com/Professional-Al ... 2C102.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Should I leave some of the methanol & heavy alcohols in like commercial spirits to give it some boot?
I'm with Larry - NO.

My abv after my spirit run is easily 65-70 % and that's blended to my taste. You should have the same, plus or minus. If you are diluting it with water, just dilute less. Don't add the shite. If you add the crap, they'll get sloshed all right, but not in a good way. More like a boot to the head :wink: Good luck, bd.
I do all my own stunts
Selby
Novice

Post by Selby »

Thanks Guys,I age on charred oak @ 55% for 3 months then dilute to 40% +. I guess there's toxicity other than ethanol in commercial spirits. I can get sick on wine also. Maybe what we are making is good ole "AQVA VITAE" (water of life) after all.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

I have been leaving all of my drinking stuff at 50% instead of 40%.
If you mix it, just use less, and if your friends don't like an clean buzz with no hangover, find new freinds..... these don't know what's good for them :)
But always remove ALL of the methenol! This shit is Poison and doesn't belong in our body.!
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Selby
Novice

Post by Selby »

After some thought, I decided to put a codicil label on the back of the bottles (60mm x60mm) which I think could apply to all of us. It included quote- "This whiskey is hand made under the protocols of craft Spirit. Double distilled,with Methanol, volatile and heavy alcohols removed during both distillation and ageing. As a result, unlike commercial spirits, it is gentle in onset and recovery without sick hangovers". AQVA VITAE. - I don't think this could apply to Likker store spirits! Selby.
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

I love that, may I use it in spanish language for my back labels?
Selby wrote:After some thought, I decided to put a codicil label on the back of the bottles (60mm x60mm) which I think could apply to all of us. It included quote- "This whiskey is hand made under the protocols of craft Spirit. Double distilled,with Methanol, volatile and heavy alcohols removed during both distillation and ageing. As a result, unlike commercial spirits, it is gentle in onset and recovery without sick hangovers". AQVA VITAE. - I don't think this could apply to Likker store spirits! Selby.
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
Selby
Novice

Post by Selby »

Hi, Rednose or anyone else for that matter, sure you can use it! Anyone who can show how toxic commercial spirits are compared to what we make, is doing us all a favour. Selby.