Dont go there
NUFF SAID
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

More

Post by Uncle Jesse »

It's a start:

http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Distilling_FAQ

hit "edit" to see how it's done. there are a lot more tricks, i'll try to get a good help file from wikipedia.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

:o :o :o :o
Plastics n stillin sucks
alluminium n stillin sucks
Dont go there
NUFF SAID
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

Made my first contribution to the Wiki FAQ. Who's next?

http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Distilling_FAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

-J
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

Well i just added my first ref to the wiki and a good one to.

Gosh did i make that post above on the 11th.

Man what a frame of mind i was in to make that..

Sorry about that..

BR
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

Does one need to create a seperate account to work in the WIKI? I tried loggin in with my account, but it said that I don't exist. However, as you can see from this post, I do.

Any help?

Aidas
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

If I remember well, I created a new account on the wiky...
But same username and same password!
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I did the same as bujapat.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

yeah you do need to create a new account there..
grunther777
Novice

Post by grunther777 »

An interesting IDEA just popped into my head while reading this thread. How about a "Distillation Certificate" I see that each contributer has a title attached to thier name. (I'm still an apprentice :( ) A moderate test could be devised with all the answers to be found on the affiliated websites. it could even be set up so a person couldn't post unless they had the "Distillation Certificate". (mabey the later portion is a little extreme?) This would force some of us "newbies" to do a little more research before embarking on something that is potentially dangerous. Multiple choice, 70% to pass - just like any other apprenticeship!! I'd be willing to take it. (the test I mean, i'd be willing to take the test, geeze u guys are perverts :wink: )
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

:D :D :D

don't know what the mods and administrator thinks.
and would everyone have to pass the test? also the regulars? ...
someone who has 1 question also has to make the test?
I don't know if it's such a good idea
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
MyDBear
Swill Maker

Post by MyDBear »

grunther777 wrote: An interesting IDEA just popped into my head while reading this thread. How about a "Distillation Certificate" I see that each contributer has a title attached to thier name. (I'm still an apprentice :( ) A moderate test could be devised with all the answers to be found on the affiliated websites. it could even be set up so a person couldn't post unless they had the "Distillation Certificate". (mabey the later portion is a little extreme?) This would force some of us "newbies" to do a little more research before embarking on something that is potentially dangerous. Multiple choice, 70% to pass - just like any other apprenticeship!! I'd be willing to take it. (the test I mean, i'd be willing to take the test, geeze u guys are perverts :wink: )
Maybe when you have been here a few years like some of us you wont be an apprentice any longer.

I also have two words for that interesting idea that just poped into yer head .
BULL SHIT

I was going to use two other words but i thought that i would be nice :P

(Does any one know why this quote thing dont work?)
Be Patient God aint finished with me yet
grunther777
Novice

Post by grunther777 »

Hey like I said, its just an idea. Besides I thought even if it was done as a "fun activity thing" to see how much a person actually knew about the topic it would help some of the newer members.

Perhaps instead of not being able to post untill you pass the quiz......It could give an intermediate title like "senior apprentice" or some such thing.

Besides I'm sure anyone who regularly visits the forums and related sites could easily pass such a thing.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Here's your certificate .... :D

But seriously I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea if it could be done. It could be used to show everyone that a person actually read something prior to posting. If it was going to be done I suggest it be 100% to pass...hell it would be an open book test since you got the parent site to work from. But I do not think a person should be able to take an open book test to equate to several years of posts.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Swag
Swill Maker

Post by Swag »

grunther777 wrote:An interesting IDEA just popped into my head while reading this thread. How about a "Distillation Certificate" I see that each contributer has a title attached to thier name. (I'm still an apprentice :( ) A moderate test could be devised with all the answers to be found on the affiliated websites. it could even be set up so a person couldn't post unless they had the "Distillation Certificate". (mabey the later portion is a little extreme?) This would force some of us "newbies" to do a little more research before embarking on something that is potentially dangerous. Multiple choice, 70% to pass - just like any other apprenticeship!! I'd be willing to take it. (the test I mean, i'd be willing to take the test, geeze u guys are perverts :wink: )
I like it.
We could have questions like:
How many plates would you develop in a 2" x 36" fractionating column (copper mesh packing) with a 1500 watt element (with no attenuation) at full boil? What would be your vapor speed?
Or:
Why is malting necessary? What is the optimal temperature of the water for adding malted grain to your mash? Which mineral will denature malt enzyme?
Or:
If you are having company over to dinner, you should
A. Offer a variety of commercially available refreshments, but keep the hooch hidden.
B. Lubricate the guests well with commercial products before offering them “something special”.
C. Come right out with the jug of whiskey and pour everyone a shot.
D. Start with the Strawberry panty droppers and see where the evening goes.
MyDBear
Swill Maker

Post by MyDBear »

Swag wrote:I like it.
We could have questions like:
How many plates would you develop in a 2" x 36" fractionating column (copper mesh packing) with a 1500 watt element (with no attenuation) at full boil? What would be your vapor speed?
Or:
Why is malting necessary? What is the optimal temperature of the water for adding malted grain to your mash? Which mineral will denature malt enzyme?
Or:
A.Offer a variety of commercially available refreshments, but keep the hooch hidden.
B.Lubricate the guests well with commercial products before offering them “something special”.
C.Come right out with the jug of whiskey and pour everyone a shot.
D.Start with the Strawberry panty droppers and see where the evening goes.

Yeah and how long would it take a grasshopper with a wooden leg, to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle. WTF is going on here. This thread has got blown way out of proportion. All that was asked of, was a simple FAQ for the new comers, now you want us to take a damn test to become freaking certified,if i wanted to be a certified distiller i would have went to collage for it. I joined this forum to learn how a still works and how to make one so i could run my wine and make some fruit brandy and i thank all the original members of this forum for helping get there.
I dont give a rats ass on How many plates would you develop in a 2" x 36" fractionating column (copper mesh packing) with a 1500 watt element (with no attenuation) at full boil? What would be your vapor speed? This just does not interest me. You young people come here fresh out of chemistry class seeking answers to some technical questions and now you want us to prove to you that we are certified to answer them.
The answer to the grasshopper question is...as long as it would take you to hold hot goose shit in yer mouth with out slobering.
I still think this taking a test to become certified just to post and answer questions is BULL SHIT!!!
Be Patient God aint finished with me yet
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I'm with ya MYDBEAR.

Questions of red wine or white with the chicken course?, or brandy or bourbon served with beef? seem ok but I'm not taking any tests that require a 400 level senior physical chemistry textbook, or advanced partial differential equations.

By the way, Physics is cool, but I do this for fun.
My still is pot style.
grunther777
Novice

Post by grunther777 »

ok ok geeze, everyone lower your weapons..........>grunthor backs away slowly<
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

Well, I've added my bit about ageing with wood.

I think one problem with the faq will be that people who have read, re-read and read yet again the homedistiller.org mother site will find the faq extrememly repetetive, because all the info is there. realistically, this faq is for the lazy novice, rather than the novice who's really interested and is willing to wade through a shitload of information, knowing that even while he's wading through it, he's getting more and more knowledge, even though he's looking for a different aspect of distilling at the time.

Aidas
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

grunther777 wrote:An interesting IDEA just popped into my head while reading this thread. How about a "Distillation Certificate" I see that each contributer has a title attached to thier name. (I'm still an apprentice :( ) A moderate test could be devised with all the answers to be found on the affiliated websites. it could even be set up so a person couldn't post unless they had the "Distillation Certificate". (mabey the later portion is a little extreme?) This would force some of us "newbies" to do a little more research before embarking on something that is potentially dangerous. Multiple choice, 70% to pass - just like any other apprenticeship!! I'd be willing to take it. (the test I mean, i'd be willing to take the test, geeze u guys are perverts :wink: )
Back when moonshinning was sometimes the only the way to make a living and feed your family, alot of those folks took great pride in their makings. I knowed quite a few and still know some that made the best liquor that'd cross your gums, a large percentage of these folks nerver went to school a day in their life and could not read or write. Do you reckon any of them had a "Distillation Certificate" hanging on a tree or post at their still site? All of the simple basics of distilling came from them and their forefathers but there's some of these high educated, scientific dudes of today that think they can improve by using things I've seen on websites need a " Death Certificate" not a " Distilling Certificate" More than likely I'd fail test also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never follow good whiskey with water, unless you're out of good whiskey!!!
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

A. Offer a variety of commercially available refreshments, but keep the hooch hidden.
B. Lubricate the guests well with commercial products before offering them “something special”.
C. Come right out with the jug of whiskey and pour everyone a shot.
D. Start with the Strawberry panty droppers and see where the evening goes.
like this question. it's one of the most difficult things about distilling
who has an answer?

how come I'm the only one who can quote?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

youall gettin off topic here :)
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Swag
Swill Maker

Post by Swag »

Yeah and how long would it take a grasshopper with a wooden leg, to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle. WTF is going on here. This thread has got blown way out of proportion. All that was asked of, was a simple FAQ for the new comers, now you want us to take a damn test to become freaking certified,if i wanted to be a certified distiller i would have went to collage for it. I joined this forum to learn how a still works and how to make one so i could run my wine and make some fruit brandy and i thank all the original members of this forum for helping get there.
I dont give a rats ass on How many plates would you develop in a 2" x 36" fractionating column (copper mesh packing) with a 1500 watt element (with no attenuation) at full boil? What would be your vapor speed? This just does not interest me. You young people come here fresh out of chemistry class seeking answers to some technical questions and now you want us to prove to you that we are certified to answer them.
The answer to the grasshopper question is...as long as it would take you to hold hot goose shit in yer mouth with out slobering.
I still think this taking a test to become certified just to post and answer questions is BULL SHIT!!!
Take it easy big guy, I was just kidding around. I don't know the answers to any of those questions either. :lol:
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I added a little info to the wiki FAQ: distilling on the grain, and a toast to my "product".

Hurra for the humble yeast,
It makes the poor man feel like a king,
And harlots look like queens.

Silly, but but oh so true.

I urge others to join Big J and Adias and myself to help compleat the wiki FAQ.
It would help to point folks to that FAQ for frequently asked questions...after it is compleated that is.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Grayson_Stewart wrote:Here's your certificate .... :D

But seriously I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea if it could be done. It could be used to show everyone that a person actually read something prior to posting. If it was going to be done I suggest it be 100% to pass...hell it would be an open book test since you got the parent site to work from. But I do not think a person should be able to take an open book test to equate to several years of posts.
nice tat gray
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

you could introduce a time limit, for an online test, so you don't have (a lot of) time to look in books
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I find that I to get wearyof the aluminum windoscreen column packing, and plastic bucket still questions. I try to give the soft sell, and enjoy helping others get into the hobby, but after many of the same questions I think a small amount of screening questions could be helpfull.

If we must do somthing like an entrance exam, and it is timed, how about a simple multiple choice ?

My comrads in physics class are "relatively" clever guys (all male-suprise) and they had a take home, open book final, some took all week, and could only answer 50% of the questions...even then they were not necisarily right. It took me months to get used to the whole theoretical plates in a refluxing still model with the help of tonys site and links to others.

I think only things that a NOVICE distiller should know should be on there.

Questions about various gaskets, rubbers, silicones and galvanized pipe,lead based solder...that sort of stuff should have the option for selecting the following : while these materials may not kill you immediately there is a real health risk with these materials. Or somthing along those lines.

I think this is a troublesome point because there are parts of the mother site where contributers seem to advocate iffy synthetic materials for gaskets. There should be a part of the exam that illustrates the difference between materials that wont fall apart in hot alcohol, but that the "crud" in them may leach into the hootch and do really badstuff to the drinker.

Ok guys thanks for hummoring me...most indulgent.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

As a noob I've read about the Bokabob Mini and Nixon-Stone etc and I still don't know which of all the designs will suit me best. I re-read the theory stuff and get no clue as to why one still would suit me better than any other. Reflux = Vodka, Pot = Whiskey I got that... but which reflux?... (If there is a clue, well I've missed it, I am a noob after all.)

So please, in your FAQ, can we have a simple paragraph per design giving the pros and cons? Things like ease of build, expected purity and speed etc.

It would help us noobs so much.

Thanks.
Hackers
Bootlegger

Post by Hackers »

="Arthur"As a noob I've read about the Bokabob Mini and Nixon-Stone etc and I still don't know which of all the designs will suit me best. I re-read the theory stuff and get no clue as to why one still would suit me better than any other. Reflux = Vodka, Pot = Whiskey I got that... but which reflux?... (If there is a clue, well I've missed it, I am a noob after all.)
What you are asking for is for is a Holden versus Ford type of scenario. there is no absolute answer, it all depends . . . and that's not even introducing the subject of personal bias. Another way to think of it is called choice! :lol:
Never do tomorrow what you can do today because if you like what you do today you can do it AGAIN tomorrow!
drunkmore
Novice

Post by drunkmore »

well guys
im fairly slow and deliberate i am slowly building my still.
i feel the only thing you are missing is a single step by step run from start to finish with a few diferent types of stills and a few diferent recipes. When i say step by step i mean explain it like your instructing your neighbours blond wife, kind of step by step. Remember that not every body understands it all, and dosent know if you have missed or rolled two things into one. ( emagine explaining how to sharpen a pencil to somone over the phone, to someone thats never seen a pencil befor)
I have gleamed great deals of knowledge from your helpful posts, but if you are new to something, you just dont know what you dont know.
if you dont know how to ask the right question you certainly arent going to enter the right search.

I agree with the faq idea you could link the answers to the already given answers on the forum.

A glosory of terms would be invaluable.

Sorry to you wiki fans(which I am one) but if you keep adding pages of info the way you are, its just going to be a jumbled mess of shit that no newbe is going to want to waid thru to find out his / her question is still not answerd.
My final thought would be you guys are doing a great service to a great many people, keeping them safe and teaching them things, please keep it up.
Give your selves a pat on the back, you all deserve it.
I drink there for I am.
I mrink there for I ad.
I .... oh gorfet et.