retired

substitute's for making fresh fruit mash

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Brought over from old forum

lance_09464
(stranger)
04/15/04 12:15 AM

substitute's for making fresh fruit mash

I want to make a fresh fruit mash.... or a good fruit wine.. I have limited access to key ingrediants such as campden tablets,yeast nutrient, and acid subtitute etc.... I live in a stricked muslim country. so, finding this stuff is a pain.. I have yeast, fermenter, pot still (home made by me). and i can get some type of fruits like bannana's, pairs, apples, grapes etc.. But, i see tons of Dates and figs here.... Could i make a Date wine?? Does any one have any suggestions for me and could help this poor man that is struguling in a country that doesnt sell or produce any booze...

Post Extras: Print Post
pothead
(member)
04/15/04 04:59 AM

Re: substitute's for making fresh fruit mash new [re: lance_09464]

campden is a sulfite, and it isn't good to use it for a product to be run through a still anyway.
Vitamin B complex and tomatoe paste work well together with yeast to provide nutrients to the yeast and the propper acids. or even regular Multiple vitamins would help.
I believe dates and figs are high in sugar and would ferment nice.

tater
(enthusiast)
04/15/04 06:15 AM

Found this on another sight hope its some help Date wines are popular in Sudan and North Africa. They are made using a variety of methodologies. Dakhai is produced by placing dates in a clean earthenware pot. For every one volume of dates between two and four volumes of boiling water are added. This is allowed to cool and is then sealed for three days. More warm water is then added and the container sealed again for seven to ten days. Many variations of date wine exist: El madfuna is produced by burying the earthenware pots underground. Benti merse is produced from a mixture of sorghum and dates. Nebit is produced from date syrup (Dirar,1992).

Yttrium
(journeyman)
04/15/04 10:10 AM

Since you are limited to what you have available, you may want to consider just doing a sugar wash with a can of tomato sause as a yeast nutrient. After you have made the wash and distilled it, you could flavor the nuetral spirit with all the local Dates you have by soaking the the dates in the booze.

lance_09464
(stranger)
04/15/04 11:16 AM

Re: substitute's for making fresh fruit mash new [re: tater]

When would i use yeast or does it have its own?? What would the whole process be. or once it breaks down add yeast.... Hmmm... Little confused.. Remember i am a bit of a roockie!! Thanks for the help its much appreciated!!

theholymackerel
(member)
04/15/04 01:18 PM

Don't break any laws where ya can't deal with the penaltys.

I MEAN THIS.

My family has run stills since before the american revolution. We take pride in it. Most of us just run small personal batches as a tip-of-the-hat twords our family tradition. But I have an uncle that used to refill bottles of white liquor and sell 'em to bars. He got caught with a large operation and was fined 1000$ and sentenced to 30 days in jail, only 18 of which he had to serve. He got off light and easy. He was busted in America.

I also had a cousin get hired to work in a Muslem country after gettin' out of the Army. He got caught with a tiny batch of personal beer, thrown in jail, where he only lived another 4 months.

You may think the muslim alcohol taboo is silly, but they don't think so, and their laws reflect that belief.

Think hard about that, then think about it again. If ya still wanna make booze over there all i can do is pray for ya.

I wish ya luck.

pothead
(member)
04/15/04 05:06 PM

crush about 15 pounds of dates in a 7gallon bucket (crush them very well). add boiling water to take the total volume up to 5 gallons. Let it cool to about 80 degrees F . add 1 small can of tomatoe PASTE, and about 5 vitamin B complex tablets crushed. stir it up REAL good. Add your yeast, stir it vigorously and cover it with something breathable (my wifes grandfather covers his with a bath towel & seals it with a rubber band) the top should start getting a thick layer of foam on it after 24-48 hrs. Keep stirring it a couple times a day. After about 2 weeks, you should have about 15% alcohol by volume. Run it through your still.

lance_09464
(stranger)
04/16/04 01:26 AM

Re: substitute's for making fresh fruit mash new [re: Yttrium]

yea, we do have access to some fruits..... So, i would like to try something differnt.. But, i havent tried the tomato paste before.... Sounds interesting .... I think that was my problem when making some wine. My yeast wasnt working well enough with the sugars... Hmm.. Thanks for the help....

lance_09464
(stranger)
04/16/04 01:30 AM

Re: substitute's for making fresh fruit mash new [re: pothead]

Do, you think it would be worth my while to bottle up a few.. And see how it would taste as wine?? Or just run all through the still.. Thanks Mate!!!

lance_09464
(stranger)
04/16/04 01:46 AM

Re: substitute's for making fresh fruit mash new [re: theholymackerel]

Thanks for the concern.... I am just doing this as a small hobbie for my self... Nothing more!! I have a few close friends over every now an again to do some taste testing!! I am sorry to hear about your cousin.. I have heard stories about that in the past... These muslim countrys are getting more liberal in the coming years..... Look at Bahrain , Quatar and Dubai.. They are becoming very international..

pothead
(member)
04/16/04 06:01 AM

I personally would put a gallon of it in a seperate jug and let it age and clear as wine.....But...I'd run most of it through the still.

ps-You might want to add about 5 pounds of sugar to what I posted.

vinoman
(Unregistered)
04/18/04 03:36 AM

what to do with your wine new [re: lance_09464]

Listen amico this is what you do, bottle it all except leave at least one bottle left in the mash. Then what we do here in italy is use the old stuff, add water about 50% water 50 % leftovers. add more sugar add more yeast. Let sit for another 2 weeks then put it all in the still the fruit as well. If you can find a copper grate to put the fruit above the liquid, that's even better. This way the vapor takes more of the fruit essense with it. This is for Grappa. Aqua vita di vinnaccia. Instead it will be Grappa Aqua vita di dattero
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
nzbourbonhead
Novice

grappa?

Post by nzbourbonhead »

Had a question from a m8. He has tried grappa in Italy. Is grappa a wine or a spirit? If a spirit can someone tell me how to make it? thanks
Hic hic Now where did I put my glass