First run

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chub

First run

Post by Chub »

Thanks to all who helped during the last couple weeks. Yesterday I did my first run. I got the wash into the boiler about 7:OO am got it started by 8:00 It was starting to produce vapor in about a half an hour. Next I let it run at full reflux for about the same time. It stabilized at 172.8f Next I took off the forshots at one drip per second. I collected about 80ml just to be safe. Next I collected 300ml for the heads and then proceded to collect four more 6oz jars, Next I collected in a 32oz bottle then proceded to a 16oz then 2 more 6oz jars then finally two 6 oz tails jars. The temp stayed rock soild at 172.8 until the last tails jar when it started to jump up pretty quickly I finished at 176f and was able to extract about 120 oz not including the forshots. It was about 8hrs from the heads started till I finished with the last bottle. This is a strange thing I wanted to ask I checked my reflux valve before I started to make sure it was working properly and It was {just getting a feel for how sensitive the valve was for letting liquid through} I was able to let my reflux valve open the whole way and still collect enough for about 10ml per min. Does this sound normal. Like I said ;before running I poured 50ml down the condenser and opened it one half turn and it emptied it very quicklySo it was definatly working. Anyway it seemed to work My heads came off at 92% and in the middle of the run I checked that quart bottle and it was right around 94% I was collecting pretty slowly letting the driplets splash Into the jar. Now for a couple of questions What should I do with the product, now some have said put on carbon right away others say frezee it.Right now the jars are just sitting in my basement, how long do I have before I do something with it? Also when there is talk about being totally oderless are you saying that you cant smell the distill at all; or that it just has no off smells. I tried a couple drips and it tasted very good just a hint of sweetness before a burn. But I can smell it if I put my nose right on top of the jar. If it is possible mabie some of you could tell me how you handle your product when it is done; diluting,carbon,storage,ect Once again I want to thank each person who took their time to help me along my way so far.I have had a good time. Chub
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Re: First run

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Chub wrote: This is a strange thing I wanted to ask I checked my reflux valve before I started to make sure it was working properly and It was {just getting a feel for how sensitive the valve was for letting liquid through} I was able to let my reflux valve open the whole way and still collect enough for about 10ml per min. Does this sound normal.
Yes, the more fluid you have stacked up (called "head"), the faster it will pour out the valve. If your outlet to the reflux valve is dead even with the outlet to your collection valve, you could anticipate an even split between the two. I leave my reflux valve completly open and only crack the takeoff valve for this reason.

Chub wrote:Now for a couple of questions What should I do with the product, now some have said put on carbon right away others say frezee it.Right now the jars are just sitting in my basement, how long do I have before I do something with it?
I wouldn't do anything to it as far as carbon filtering. Your going to smell alcohol, infact you should feel your nose hairs curl if you take a deep sniff over something that pure. Just cut with some very good bottled water to the drinking proof you want and let it sit and combine for a couple of days. When you initially add the water you will feel the heat that it gives off and it will have billions of tiny bubbles. This is just the water and alcohol mixing. Even after it The initial reaction is over it will still take a couple of days for the mixture to completly mellow.

Just be sure to leave it in a glass container, sealed well because that high % will soak up liquid from the atmosphere and likely any trace smells associated with that vapor. If you made good cuts at the correct stages like you explained then you should be fine without carbon filtering, but if you feel you must carbon then cut to drinking strength and then carbon.[/quote]
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Congratulations Chub. Form your description it sounds like you did everything right. A perfect example of researching before the actual run with with a successful outcome. The sweet taste indicates your head/heart cut was a little early but everything else sound great. I think Grayson answered your questions well. Just know one thing Chub, no matter how good you think this run turned out it's only going to get better as you go along.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Chub

Post by Chub »

Is there anything wrong with just leaving it at 94% and just adding to your drinks as you make them. Tonight I added some to some orange,lemon,lime juice from our juicer it seemed to be great. Is there any downfall in doing it that way?50%orange,lemon,lime25%water25%94%. Chub
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Nothing wrong with it if your careful about having something that concentrated around. Don't leave the cap off due to fire hazzards and make sure everyone knows its strictly for mixing. People that drink are acustomed to how much 80 proof to add to a drink, they may over do it since you don't have it cut.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Hootch
Novice

Post by Hootch »

The sweet taste indicates your head/heart cut was a little early
:?:

knucklehead, by this do you mean that he started collecting the hearts too early?
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

I'd strongly recommend cutting it. I think leaving it at 94% your just asking for a trip to the ER, either you or a friend.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Hootch wrote:knucklehead, by this do you mean that he started collecting the hearts too early?
Yup
Dane Cook
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Well done, Chub. Are you keeping good run records? This helps you improve as you go along.

As KH says, be very careful with the 94% stuff. Religiously label all jars. If I have any at 95% I make sure it is on a completely different shelf. I never mix final product from that shelf, either.

Onwards and upwards!!
Cheers,
Lindsay.
sub

Post by sub »

Congratulations and well done.

I remember the first time I ran my old still. I was so satisfied and proud that I had produced this high quality spirit at home.

I can't wait until I have my new still up and running so I can relive that satisfaction :D
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Congratulations Chub ! 8)

That sweetness is probably heads in your product.

Many people like a product without it, and it can be kept out by segregating more of the early product from the heart runs.

I like having high proof around, but it becomes dangerous when you are too drunk to effectively judge the dosage.
Be sure to label the 94% clearly. I suggest keeping the 94% in storage, and cutting the proof to 50%abv(100proof USA) for the drinkin' bottle.
I enjoy a dry martinni, but 94% could be a little too dry :shock: . 50% is strong enough for me. Your results and desires may vary.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

congrats on the successful run
now its time to cut it and throw a party. i am still experimenting with flavoring so i take several pint jars and flavor the spirit differently until i come up with what suits my taste. ethanol has a smell so your drink won't be odorless. i also agree with the others about not keeping 94% around the house. if anybody got ahold of it it could lead to alcohol poisoning very quickly. some people here aren't found of carbon but it can do a very good job at covering up mistakes made during the cuts.
whatever you do goodluck with it and enjoy it.
Ricky
Day Late;Dollar Short
Chub

Post by Chub »

Thanks guys for all the imput,I have to say I was like a kid in a candy store when that juice started to flow. Thanks again to all who helped I could not have done it without you. Chub