Packing column with coffee beans.

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tinker
Novice

Packing column with coffee beans.

Post by tinker »

After searching (with the search function) for anyone's experience with this idea, found nothing. It was actually my father in-law's idea. Besides extracting an exorbitant amount of tannins, are there any other concerns about this idea. Just throwing it against the wall. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, or the copper mesh I've grown to love. I figure they'd be about as effective as glass marbles the same size..not all that effective unless the column gets pretty tall. Thanks in advance for any constructive feedback.
"If someone asks if you're a god, you say 'YES!'" - Winston Zedmore, Ghostbuster.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Packing column with coffee beans.

Post by Odin »

I guess it is great if you are after a coffee liquer, right?
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I would say it would be a waste of good coffers beans. They would only be good for one use.

Why not just put some in a gin basket to use for flavoring. And leave the packing alone. If all you are after is flavor. And a column filled with coffers beans would give you a lit of it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
tinker
Novice

Post by tinker »

Gin basket, of course! Much better use of beans, and alot fewer needed at that. Thanks PP. And it also gives me something new to build, even better. :D
"If someone asks if you're a god, you say 'YES!'" - Winston Zedmore, Ghostbuster.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I have one that I have not used yet. When I get my vanilla beans in that I ordered. I will be trying it out.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Tried it (in my gin basket). Unmitigated failure - the first 10% or so of the run was ok, after that it just tastes and smells like a espresso knockbox. sorry :(

when I get around to doing some coffee stuff again I'll being doing a cold extraction then redistilling in the pot still.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff