a idea....

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikluk
Swill Maker

a idea....

Post by Pikluk »

was watching that prohibition bootlegger movie the other night "not the stupid american "reality "tv"show" and after
i saw those old submarine still "lawless that was the movie"
i had a thought, they put the grain and sugar in the still cook it like that then add more sugar... etc.
can i do that in my electric keg?
if the grain lower then the element?
i know i wouldn't be cooking on grain for say still the mash would be boiling over/around it.

any thought?
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Re: a idea....

Post by just-a-sip »

running an electric rig on grain is going to burn. regardless of where the grain is in the boiler its not just going to sit there, the grain will circulate and boil around the mash as it contacts the element you will burn it.
Just-A-Sip
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Pikluk wrote:they put the grain and sugar in the still cook it like that then add more sugar...
They did do that on Moonshiners and it's bullshit... You can't add sugar into your boiler and get more alcohol out without starting a new ferment...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

there sort of copying "the black box"..witch was used as a fermenter doing similar to UJSSM,a sugar head.
grain and all was in the boiler,this was left to ferment,,cooked off then sugar was added to ferment again.
this could be repeated 2-3 times before needing to replace the grain..this is imposable with a internal element.
it whould be hard even withe a keg or pot.you need something broad so the heat whould be spread out.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I always wondered how they emptied out those subs? And doing it the way you described Dnderhead would remove the need to empty it every run. Would also need to carry less water to fill it back up.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

ok so you added grain/water/sugar/yeast..leave it to ferment..then just heat and do run..now next time you add sugar/toped up /yeast (usually saved from priviest ferment) ...let that ferment you could do this 3times? ..now you either had a valve on bottom or a plug stick..this was to drain it out with.

(I'm still in dark)
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

the grain will circulate and boil around the mash as it contacts the element you will burn it.
if it moves around will it really burn?
unless when it touches it stuck there i don't see why it would burn,
or at first boils when it still slow it might sit on top of the element a little too long.

if it try that and it burn the taste will carry over from what i read, so i presume its scrap even if i distill it again that burnt taste will carry again?
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

yep,you will never git it out.when distilling "on the grain" its best to have a large flat bottom so you can spread the heat out