Question for you American/ UK people??

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Remus
Trainee

Question for you American/ UK people??

Post by Uncle Remus »

Tell me what a bushell actually is. I remember from grade school that there are 12 pecks to a bushell., I have no flippin idea how much a peck is...what the hell amount is a bushell?

Reason I'm asking is I finally got my hands on some rye grain. Farmers are getting about $5 per bushell....how much will I get for 5 bucks?

Damn what an arcane system the impierial one is
:wink:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

Here ya go.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

You know, I heard an anecdote once about the US government wanting to slowly change over to the metric system. So they started in a few spots by placing speed limit signs that showed miles per hour AND kilometers per hour right next to it. The idea was to get people used to seeing both of them and then they could slowly remove the English signs. Unfortunately though, the cities hosting this first attempt were inundated with complaints about the metric signs, so they were taken down. Some of them had already been removed, egged, shot at, or otherwise vandalized. We Americans are strangely fond of our stone-aged units.

I would prefer metric, but it would be a painful transition. One thing is for sure though - it's really annoying to have to buy two sets of wrenches and sockets. To me, that would be a really good place to start the switch.
Harry
Swill Maker

Post by Harry »

UR said: Tell me what a bushell actually is. I remember from grade school that there are 12 pecks to a bushell., I have no flippin idea how much a peck is...what the hell amount is a bushell?

Reason I'm asking is I finally got my hands on some rye grain. Farmers are getting about $5 per bushell....how much will I get for 5 bucks?

56 lbs (pounds) for Rye. Different amounts for different things: University of Missouri has this to say...

Tables for Weights and Measurement: Crops
William J. Murphy
Department of Agronomy
These tables give weights per bushel, weights of grain by volume, moisture conversion and planting rates.

Table 1
Weights per bushel

Alfalfa
60 pounds per bushel
Barley
48 pounds per bushel
Clover, Alsike
60 pounds per bushel
Clover, Crimson
60 pounds per bushel
Clover, Ladino
60 pounds per bushel
Clover, White
60 pounds per bushel
Clover, Red
60 pounds per bushel
Clover Sweet
60 pounds per bushel
Corn, shelled
56 pounds per bushel
Corn, ear
70 pounds per bushel
Cotton
32 pounds per bushel
Cowpeas
60 pounds per bushel
Flax
60 pounds per bushel
Grass, Brome (smooth)
14 pounds per bushel
Grass, Blue
14 pounds per bushel
Grass, Fescue (tall)
14 pounds per bushel
Grass, Orchard
14 pounds per bushel
Grass, Redtop
14 pounds per bushel
Grass, Timothy
45 pounds per bushel
Lespedeza
40 to 50 pounds per bushel
Millet
50 pounds per bushel
Oats
32 pounds per bushel
Rape
60 pounds per bushel
Rye
56 pounds per bushel
Sorghum, forage
50 pounds per bushel
Sorghum, grain
56 pounds per bushel
Soybeans
60 pounds per bushel
Sudan grass
28 pounds per bushel
Sunflower (oil type)
24-32 pounds per bushel
Trefoil, Birdsfoot
60 pounds per bushel
Vetch
60 pounds per bushel
Wheat
60 pounds per bushel

You guys Stateside must really get confused. :?

Slainte!
regards Harry
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

You one for non-grain distillers.

40 pounds for apples.

Not sure of weights for other fruits.
Husker
retired

Re: Question for you American/ UK people??

Post by Husker »

Uncle Remus:
Tell me what a bushell actually is.
Easiest way to remember, is a bushel is an oversized cubic foot (about 1 and a quarter or so). So you get about 22 or so per cubic yard. A lot of the grain trucks actually were in cubic yards (10yd or 15yd trucks). We knew them as 210 and 320 bushel and did not worry about the cubic yard capacity. They were smaller to medium sized trucks, usually used for hauling from field to grain bins, or field to sillage plant.

H.
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

And what's with those crazy US gallons - I guess the yanks like to brag and their gallons help that. :wink:
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

Well hell, a peck is a rectangular shaped box with a single handle across the top that holds a forth of a bushel, 8 quarts, or 8.8 liters, a bushel is a round basket with two handles at the top on each side that holds 4 pecks, 35.238 liters or 2150.42 cubic inches and also 56 pounds of corn. To a country boy like me, a peck is the rectangular box and a bushel is the right size basket.
Never follow good whiskey with water, unless you're out of good whiskey!!!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

You tell them G P :lol:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

:lol: @ GP

and..hornedrhodent,
what is so crazy about the US gallon? There is exactly 4 qts in a gallon?
It is the imperial gallon that's crazy. :D
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

I have a few old Canadian glass imperial gallon jugs.

I like to take 'em to my local brewpubs and use 'em as gallon growlers. It's allways fun to get a few free extra ounces of beer.

Heh.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Right on thanks for the replies guys. 56lbs for $5 of rye...good deal :)

When I went to school the first system we learned was the imperial one. In about the 6th grade we started learning metric. About the only thing in imperial that I can really think fluently in is weight and measurements. I guess the measurement thing is cuz building trades never really went metric. A 2x4 is still called a 2x4 and if you do any framing you use 16 inch centers. Sheets of plywood are 4x8. So anything I build I use imperial measurements.

A carpenter friend of mine went to work in Japan once for 6 months. He said everything was metric there. They had to follow building plans in metric measurements. After working with it for 6 months, he said it was so much easier than imperial, even though he used imperial his whole life in his trade. Everything is in 10's... and it's much easier to do fine measurements in millimeters than fraction of inches.

I realize that for the US the transition to metric would have been a lot more painfull than Canada's was way back when. ...but if they had not very many of us would would remember the imperial system at all now.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
oldpete
Novice

Post by oldpete »

right now im in a mesurment unit hell. all we have are our triditional tools, but are installing a japanese turbine. having to deal with decimal down to the thousandths of an inch and fractions, then convert them to metric so the misubishi guys understand it. toss in the fact the field rep is brittish and we can only understand half of what he says, and when he translates japanese from the engineers we seem to only get about 1/4 of what he says.
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

I have a few old Canadian glass imperial gallon jugs.

I like to take 'em to my local brewpubs and use 'em as gallon growlers. It's allways fun to get a few free extra ounces of beer.

Heh.
:lol: good thinkin.
I have a couple imperial gallon jugs from cheap wine.
I might just get some Mad Anthony's Ale from the beer shop today. :D I was going to anyway...but now I know what jugs to take with me.

possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Like GP said... a bushel is a cone shaped basket about 1.25 cubit deep,1 cubit wide at the top, and about 1/2 a cubit diamater at the bottom.

Furthermore:
1 bushel [US, dry] = 0.147 764 722 hogshead [US]

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

Like GP said... a bushel is a cone shaped basket about 1.25 cubit deep,1 cubit wide at the top, and about 1/2 a cubit diamater at the bottom.

Furthermore:
1 bushel [US, dry] = 0.147 764 722 hogshead [US]

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
:lol:
ROFL!!
:lol:

Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Heres another conversion sight http://www.convert-me.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

Hey Remus, yall got any hogsheads up there in the great white north like Pothead mentioned? Years ago thats how tobacco was measured and shipped here, they were made of wood staves but with stright sides,and they are huge.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

That interesting GP. No I haven't heard of a hogshead measurement before. Next time I run into one of the old timers around here I will ask, if they've heard of it.

How come a bushel means 12? Used to hear "a bushel" was slang for a dozen. Some of the older folks around here that play cribbage... my mom for instance will often say "I got a bushel" if her hand counts 12?
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

Maybe you grow something in your area that weighs 12 lbs per bushel?
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Uncle Remus wrote:Right on thanks for the replies guys. 56lbs for $5 of rye...good deal :)
Yeah that's a seriously good deal! I found rye in a few places here and the very best price was 50 cents a pound!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Hogshead
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about the unit of measure. For the Harry Potter location, see Hog's Head.

A hogshead is a large cask of liquid (less often, of a food commodity). More specifically, it refers to a specified volume, measured in Imperial units, primarily applied to alcoholic beverages such as wine, ale, or cider.

A tobacco hogshead was used in colonial times to transport and store tobacco. It was a very large wooden barrel. A standardized hogshead measured 48 inches long and 30 inches in diameter at the head. Fully packed with tobacco, it weighed about 1000 pounds.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) notes that the hogshead was first standardized by an act of Parliament in 1423, though the standards continued to vary by locality and content. For example, the OED cites an 1897 edition of Whitaker's Almanack, which specified the number of gallons of wine in a hogshead varying by type of wine: claret 46 gallons, port 57, sherry 54; and Madeira 46. The American Heritage Dictionary claims that a hogshead can consist of anything from 62.5 to 140 (presumably U.S.) gallons.

Eventually, a hogshead of wine came to be 63 gallons, while a hogshead of beer or ale is 54 gallons.

A hogshead was also used as unit of measurement for sugar in Louisiana for most of the 19th century. Plantations were listed in sugar schedules as having produced x number of hogsheads of sugar or molasses.
English casks of wine [1] gallon rundlet barrel tierce hogshead firkin, puncheon, tertian pipe, butt tun
1 tun
1 2 pipes, butts
1 1+1⁄2 3 firkins, puncheons, tertians
1 1+1⁄3 2 4 hogsheads
1 1+1⁄2 2 3 6 tierces
1 1+1⁄3 2 2+2⁄3 4 8 barrels
1 1+3⁄4 2+1⁄3 3+1⁄2 4+2⁄3 7 14 rundlets
1 18 31+1⁄2 42 63 84 126 252 gallons (US/wine)
3.79 68.14 119.24 158.99 238.48 317.97 476.96 953.92 litres
1 15 26+1⁄4 35 52+1⁄2 70 105 210 gallons (imperial)
4.55 68.19 119.3 159.1 238.7 318.2 477.3 954.7 litres
English casks of ale and beer [2] gallon firkin kilderkin barrel hogshead (butt) (tun) Year designated
1 tuns
1 1+3⁄4 butts
1 3 5+1⁄4 hogsheads
1 1+1⁄2 4+1⁄2 7+7⁄8 barrels
1 2 3 9 15+3⁄4 kilderkins
1 2 4 6 18 31+1⁄2 firkins
1 8 16 32 48 144 252 ale gallons (ale) (1454)
= 4.62 = 36.97 = 73.94 = 147.88 = 221.82 = 665.44 = 1164.52 litres (ale)
1 9 18 36 54 162 283+1⁄2 ale gallons (beer)
= 4.62 = 41.59 = 83.18 = 166.36 = 249.54 = 748.62 = 1310.09 litres (beer)
1 8+1⁄2 17 34 51 ale gallons 1688
= 4.62 = 39.28 = 78.56 = 157.12 = 235.68 litres
1 9 18 36 54 ale gallons 1803
= 4.62 = 41.59 = 83.18 = 166.36 = 249.54 litres
1 9 18 36 54 imperial gallons 1824
= 4.55 = 40.91 = 81.83 = 163.66 = 245.49 litres
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

huh? :shock: :D :?
oldpete
Novice

Post by oldpete »

the coloum on my potstill is just a shade under a cubit tall. that is an egyptan royal cubit.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

So Pete's still is this tall according to Wikipedia:

The Egyptian royal cubit

The Egyptians clearly used a standard measure as early as c. 2750 BC (Dynasty III) at Saqqara (J.P.Lauer). From the evidence this is widely accepted to have been 523.5 to 524 mm (20.61 to 20.63 in) in length, and was subdivided into 7 palms of 4 digits, giving a 28 part measure in total. This unit was used virtually unchanged for 2000 years, with occasional variations.

Old Egyptian geometers could not calculate the square root of two but they needed the value of the hypotenuse. The well-attested old Egyptian set square called the "construction remen" used a good approximation: 20√2 ≥ 28. The sides of this surveying instrument measured 20 digits of the Nippur cubit (about 518.5 mm) divided into 28 equal parts, that's about 20 × 18.5 mm = 370 mm, the remen measure. The digit of the sides is identical to the later Roman digit. The hypotenuse of this set square gives the old royal cubit of about 523.5 mm. (See schema image: From the Nippur ell to the old royal cubit.)

So, the old Egyptian geometers found a very good approximation for land survey. It is obvious they knew that the two digits were not identical, but a difference of only one percent is satisfactory in practice.

A shorter Egyptian rule of 6 palms may also have been employed, but based on the same 7 part standard. During Dynasty XII (1900 BC) the length of the royal cubit grew to about 529.2 mm (+1% more than the former old royal cubit). Since these times for the sides of the construction remen, the digits of the old Royal cubit were used. Therefore the ratio between the digits of the Royal cubit and the later called Roman digits is 100 to 98 exactly one. After the Egyptian length standard did not change anymore.

Hmmm.....maybe the imperial system is not so arcane after all :lol:
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I like the cubit because it is the length of my elbow to my finger, I always cary one. Of course mine and yours are not exactly the same length.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

BTW, a bushel is a unit of volume, not weight. But somewhere close to 50lbs for a bushel of rye sounds about right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

speedfreaksteve wrote:BTW, a bushel is a unit of volume, not weight. But somewhere close to 50lbs for a bushel of rye sounds about right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Maybe that was true in the older days Steve, but here in the US today it's used as measure of weight on grain.
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

="Uncle Remus

523.5 to 524 mm (20.61 to 20.63 in) in length, and was subdivided into 7 palms of 4 digits,:

Did ancient egyptian cartoon characters only have 4 digits - just like Homer?