Novice

hmm...

Post by shookmonster »

recipe

5lbs corn
8lbs sugar
3 packets yeast

fermented 4 days

first time i ran it i got a liter of 100 proof crystall clear...condensor was 1/4 od copper tubing

second time i ran it i got 3 liters of 53 proof and its cloudy...condensor was 1/4 id copper tubing

when it was running out it looked clear, but when it collected in the jug it was cloudy, i tested it and it was a lower alcohol proof....

no leaks and temp was about 170-180.

any ideas on how to clean this second batch up, make it clear and better quality.

looking for a 80 proof, if i filtered this second batch out and mixed the two what do you think my proof would be?
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

Neither of your ferments worked properly. With 8 lbs of sugar you should be getting more than a litre of 100 proof. How much water did you use? Did you add nutrients? What was the fermenting temperature? Do you know what the before and after SG readings were?
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

I used 8 kg of sugar and added one packet of ALCO turbo 48hr yeast and got 3.6l @ 83%
shookmonster
Novice

Post by shookmonster »

well im using active bread yeast, could that make a difference?

and im using a 5 gallon bucket, so after i get it all in there it probably only 4 gallons.

im looking for a bigger fermenting jug.
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

That should be about right. Are you covering it after the first day? What temperature is it fermenting at?
shookmonster
Novice

Post by shookmonster »

i cover it as soon as i get the jug filled.

fermenting at room temp so prolly between 65 - 70.

if i used like a turbo yeast or a distillers yeast would that be better?

i also dont see how my first run was a liter of 100 proof, and then i got a 53 proof run from the same recipe??

any ideas on how to clean this second batch up, should i add it back in to my sour mash run and run it again?
riff42
Swill Maker

Post by riff42 »

are you mashing the corn? I think you still have to cook the corn to get it to convert to sugars. Read about that on the parent site. Also, I'd switch to another yeast, soething that has a good alcohol tollerance. k1v1116 or ec1118, or a turbo.
---
I want my last words to be:
"Hey, this is kind of fun!!"
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

riff42 wrote:are you mashing the corn? I think you still have to cook the corn to get it to convert to sugars. Read about that on the parent site. Also, I'd switch to another yeast, soething that has a good alcohol tollerance. k1v1116 or ec1118, or a turbo.
What ya do is cook corn to get starch out.Shookmonster your not giving good info on what your doing.From what your saying you got 1 liter first run of 100 proof 2nd run 3 liters 53 proof.How are you making your cuts?Sounds like from what your saying that your ran tails into jug till it turned cloudly.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
shookmonster
Novice

Post by shookmonster »

ok heres what i got going on.

i have a 5 gallon fermenting jug, i took 5 lbs corn 8 lbs sugar and 3 packets yeast.

the first time i ever ran it i got a liter of 100 proof.

the second time i ran it with new mash and same recipe i got 3 liters of 53 proof

it was running out clear and then when it was collecting it was looking cloudy.

what im asking is hows come it ran a liter of 100 proof crystal clear the first time i ran it, didnt change anything and it ran completley different?

i never cooked the corn, and i was using bakers yeast. i have ordered some turbo yeast for my next run.

also i want a 80 proof whiskey, if i take my 100 and my 53 what would be the proof when it was done.

i also didnt throw anything out, i dont start collecting until 170 area so it should be good.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

You need a better recipe, a better fermenter, a couple of hydrometers and some specific gravities...a different boiler, different gasket...

don't use turbo yeast for whiskey.

do use turbo to learn about how your still works.

If you want whiskey then you need a whiskey recipe, need to take cuts. I wouldn't drink what you have now...sounds like you ran the second run too hot. Mixing the two batches? If it were safe to drink, then you could mix the two batches and run it again. (stripping run and spirit run) Make careful cuts and have something.

Read up on UJ sourmash method. Fix the problems with your still. Make some sugar vodka and learn how it works. Then start on whiskey. Read, read, think...then read some more.
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

Three packets of bread yeast would take a couple weeks to finish fermenting. I think one of your problems is that your wash wasn't ready yet. The other one is the tails cut, like Tater was saying.

The stuff that comes out when the run starts should be about 100 proof and as the run continues, the purity will decrease until it's basically stinky water coming out. If you would have stopped collecting your second batch after only a liter, you may very well have ended up with the same thing as the first batch. But since you kept collecting, it got weaker and weaker and diluted the 3 liters down to 53 proof. The stinky 'tails' come out towards the end of the run when you have low purity, and they will be cloudy.

I would mix the two batches that you have together and run them a second time. And when you do it, you'll get something around 130-140 proof at first but the purity will decrease as the run goes on. Test every 100 mL that comes out and you'll see that it gets weaker. Try tossing the first 100 mL down the sink, put the next 100 mL into a separate container, then keep only 1/2 - 2/3 of a liter after that for drinking. The stuff that comes out after that can go back into the first container and you can toss it into your next batch. Until you learn the smells, you can't expect to make anything very tasty. You might also want to spend several hours reading the sites in Tater's signature. There's tons of great info there. Read it two or three times and post your questions here.
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

53 proof is not even fit to drink in my book, I'd throwed it back in with the 100 proof and double run it.
Never follow good whiskey with water, unless you're out of good whiskey!!!
shookmonster
Novice

Post by shookmonster »

thats what i was thinking was mix the two and run them again.

what should i use as a yeast?

and does anyone have a good whiskey recipe that i could try.

thanks for all the info
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

Read Uncle Jesse's sourmash method, and then try it with a different grainbill. I suggest 50 percent corn, 30 percent rye and 20 percent barley. But that's just my next experiment, so you can decide for yourself.

I use wine-yeast. EC-1118. Works great for me for any wash I've done... be it whiskeys, fruit washes, whatever.

You really need to read the parent site -- your questions aren't stupid, but they've been covered. Read the parent site, and then do a search on this forum. If you keep asking questions that have been covered before, someone's bound to flame you. That's not fun, and it's a waster of energy for everybody concerned.

Aidas